5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best gauges for NA max?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 AM
das

Best gauges for NA max?

All,

I'm looking to put in an A pillar gauge pod on my 00 max. I'm doing this mainly for appearance purposes, since I love how it looks. Plus its handy for engine related info.

What are the best gauges for an NA max?

lemme know,

thanks,

das
Old 03-15-2004, 08:30 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

water temp and oil pressure

Old 03-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by das
All,

I'm looking to put in an A pillar gauge pod on my 00 max. I'm doing this mainly for appearance purposes, since I love how it looks. Plus its handy for engine related info.

What are the best gauges for an NA max?

lemme know,

thanks,

das
if you are NA and it is for apperance only there is a word for that..................RICE!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
if you are NA and it is for apperance only there is a word for that..................RICE!!!!
Exactly. They do look alright, but there is no need for them without forced induction.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:48 AM
das

thanks 92SER,

I thought we'd moved past someone else telling me how I should spend my $$....

das
Old 03-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

time, temp, and humdity.

j/k....there's nothing much to monitor for NA engine. I still have the tranny temp gauge but it doesnt tell me a lot now since I am not boosting.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Banned

a guage that tells you wether your car is ricey or not?

a guage that tells you to take off the pillar you installed it into?

stickers look cool also
Old 03-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Cletus

barometer, altimeter, sundial
Old 04-02-2004, 12:03 AM

well if your gonna post stuff, obviously your gonna get judged, so why even ask for best gauge? i know your expecting peoples opinion rihgt?in my opionion therse only one word:

RICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 12:05 AM

maxima is classy, not ricey, get a honda if you want ricey
Old 04-02-2004, 02:37 AM

I would get an Air/Fuel Ratio and Exhaust Gas Temp if you had a Y-pipe
Old 04-02-2004, 06:44 AM
Banned

only thing i could ever car about now that i think about it, is a tranny temp one. but it would be nice and clean NOT on an a pillar.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:23 AM
I miss the .org!

Gauge pillars do look tight. So help him out and suggest which gauges would be most helpful for his application. Let him do what he wants and either help him out or ease up...
Old 04-02-2004, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Gauge pillars do look tight. So help him out and suggest which gauges would be most helpful for his application. Let him do what he wants and either help him out or ease up...
Well said.. If you have a system of any kind a Voltage gauge would be cool.. Or temp gauges to monitor your amps temp would also work..
Old 04-02-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by chun
i guess you missed the headlamp thread.

oh, wait, there's a plethora of threads on this forum that specifically ask about "appearance" mods.

I'm beginning to think, if you want a "ricey" sedan, buy a maxima and modify it.

by the way, i own a honda. no rice.

to the thread author:
if you want the "appearance", don't waste your money, just save it for a movie or something.

there's nothing much to monitor for NA engine.
...yeah, nothing like, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, etc.

do not get the autometer air-fuel ratio gauge. it's a waste as it isn't accurate. it has a very very limited range therefore, it bounces a lot. Get a air-fuel gauge that has a wide-band o2 sensor, then, it'll become far more functional.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:17 PM
retired moderator

oil temp, pressure, water temp gauges are useful - in an older sportscar where the engine needs constant adjustment,/calibration. Not seeing the need for it in a NA maxima. If something goes wrong, most likely you're gonna throw a warning code anyways.

That said, I don't see a problem with extra gauges -but it's the location that counts - triple gauges on the pillar is definitely rice...you said it yourself that it was for appearance. There are other places in the maxima to install gauges - how about on the lower part of the center console like alot of european (sportscars esp.) have them.

You know what? Do what you want. Get the gauges you think YOU MIGHT USE!!!!!! If you don't know what increased oil pressure or lower water temperature means when it happens, then those gauges will not do you ANY good. Put in some gauges that will be useful to you - put in a barometer if you want to know what the weather's gonna be like in 3 hours.

But if it's just for LOOKS anyways - you might as well put in fake turbo boost or NOS gauges....
Old 04-02-2004, 05:28 PM

Gauges for NA cars are Rice. especially on the A pillar. I think you should put it on the center console.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:06 PM

but deep down inside we all want the **** **** feel. lol, not making fun of das, just adding to the crap we post.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:12 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Not all hondas are ricey. Is my bone stock, gas saving civic ricey? I dont think so. All depends on what you do to your car.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:41 PM

well yeah thats what i meant, get a honda if you want to rice out your car, i dont think maxima s look good with all those tacky stuff, you know, wild body kits loud mufflers, crazy stickers, big azz spoilers, crazy paint. when you see a car with just a whole bunch of crap put on, ive seen this altima with some gold tints with this weired 15 inch hubcaps that has a 17 inch look,can you belive that ****? and he had some ghetoo *** christmas lights inside of his car.and the big ol sticker that read "respect the name" and the lisence plate read "ey boy" i think this guy is on crack or something, now tell me that aint ricey
Old 04-02-2004, 06:45 PM
retired moderator

I think he meant modded hondas....I look back at past cars of mine and can honestly say that neither my 92 Accord EX coupe nor my 87 integra were ricey. Then again, they were stock on the outside (excpt roof rack) and only inside changes were audio....

You know what he meant, though!
Old 04-02-2004, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
Gauges for NA cars are Rice.
and having half of your mods appearance mods, isn't?

Nice mod list too:
Clear Corners, Polargs everywhere, Maxima chrome license plate frame, Custommaxima.com sticker
Who is the ricer? the guy keeping tabs on their engine vitals...or the guy with clear corners, a sticker, and some other lighting "mods"

well yeah thats what i meant, get a honda if you want to rice out your car
Or, you can do what 2k3TitaniumSe did and rice out my Maxima by putting a bunch of lighting mods on it...oh wait, i can add an intake just to say it's a "performance" sedan.

when you see a car with just a whole bunch of crap put on, ive seen this altima with some gold tints with this weired 15 inch hubcaps that has a 17 inch look,can you belive that ****?
Yes, and i can also believe that people who do that also enter their vehicles into car shows... and guess what, some of them win. What has any of your vehicles won? oooh, Maxima of the Month on Maxima.org. Spare me. Don't insult other people's vehicles without first understanding what that vehicle is modified for... then having your own vehicle free of said "insults".

Kettle calling pot black.

to clarify, "ricey" is basically "appearance" mods...and claiming to be "fast". I could put a big wing on my honda, add a plethora of stickers... if it wins me car show trophies and MONEY...better believe i'm gonna sport it.

you people are all too quick to label while being guilty of the same said label. ironic.