5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Service Engine Soon light

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 12:14 PM

Service Engine Soon light

My "service engine soon" light has been going off. I had it diagnosed, and found out the problem was related to my cold air intake. The mechanic said it was an irregularity in the swirl system, too much air getting into the system. Since then, I converted back to the original factory intake. A week later the Service Engine Soon light went off AGAIN.

Anybody know what could be causing this problem?

If the problem is not serious, I think I would just rather disable the check engine light fuse.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:29 AM

Well, I didn't disable the check engine light. So I have been running with the light on for a while.

On my last fill up, I also put in some Slick 50. I usually put it in every oil change. But since I have been having this Check Engine light problem. I figured, eh... it couldn't hurt.

I ran it for 300 miles... and this morning when I started the car. The check engine light was on... then a few seconds later, IT TURNED OFF!

I have to run it a little more to see if it stays that way, but it is looking good so far.

Thanks for the tips guys, nice to know I can always get help here.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:34 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

It's weird. My friend's acura had similar problem. Service engine light came on all of a sudden. Took it to Autozone and the guy at Autozone couldn't find where to plug his diagnostic tool. I just ended up buying a box of Mobile1 synthetic oil and filter. She just drove around w/ the light on. It was time for an oil change so I changed her oil w/ Mobile1 sythetic. After that oil change, light went out. It's been few months now and light is yet to come back on.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:21 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by GXE Spoiler
Well, I didn't disable the check engine light. So I have been running with the light on for a while.

On my last fill up, I also put in some Slick 50. I usually put it in every oil change. But since I have been having this Check Engine light problem. I figured, eh... it couldn't hurt.

I ran it for 300 miles... and this morning when I started the car. The check engine light was on... then a few seconds later, IT TURNED OFF!

I have to run it a little more to see if it stays that way, but it is looking good so far.

Thanks for the tips guys, nice to know I can always get help here.
my first suggestion is to get a new mechanic. the reason i say this is because your cold air intake is not going to take in anymore air than others in your same region. the engine will only allow so much air to get through the throttle body, no matter what kind of intake you have.
my second suggestion is to go to autozone and pull the code that your ecu is putting out even though the light is off. its stored in there. after you get the code, post it and we can try and figure out what the problem is. i can guarantee if you had any issues with the intake, that the slick 50 had nothing to do with it. with regular oil changes and decent oil, there is no need for that stuff.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
my first suggestion is to get a new mechanic. the reason i say this is because your cold air intake is not going to take in anymore air than others in your same region. the engine will only allow so much air to get through the throttle body, no matter what kind of intake you have.
my second suggestion is to go to autozone and pull the code that your ecu is putting out even though the light is off. its stored in there. after you get the code, post it and we can try and figure out what the problem is. i can guarantee if you had any issues with the intake, that the slick 50 had nothing to do with it. with regular oil changes and decent oil, there is no need for that stuff.
They did hook it up to the diagnostic machine and pulled off the code. They said the code translated into "Irregularity in swirl system"

One mechanic said the cold air intake, another said faulty MAF sensor. Another less knowledgeable mechanic said it could be one of 130 things.

I have been running with that check engine light for about 2 weeks. Did not reset the light nor did I pull the battery. The only thing I did was put that stuff in. The reason I put it in is that the Check Engine light most of the time is related to bad emissions. So maybe it cleared itself. Nice to know that service engine light is able to turn itself off without pulling the battery or reseting through diagnostic machine.

Ran the full day today. No Check Engine Light.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ammi
It's weird. My friend's acura had similar problem. Service engine light came on all of a sudden. Took it to Autozone and the guy at Autozone couldn't find where to plug his diagnostic tool. I just ended up buying a box of Mobile1 synthetic oil and filter. She just drove around w/ the light on. It was time for an oil change so I changed her oil w/ Mobile1 sythetic. After that oil change, light went out. It's been few months now and light is yet to come back on.
The Check Engine light is a huge conspiracy to get you to spend more money on servicing your car.