5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

grinding sound when started

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:01 PM

grinding sound when started

Every now and then, when I start the max up in the mourning, I hear a grinding sound coming from under the hood. Real quick. Lasts only about 2 seconds and then goes away. Will only happen when the car has been sitting for awhile. Anybody else here this? Cant put my finger on it. Its just one of those mystery sounds, but this one worrys me.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just went through a similar problem on my 2000 Max. Nissan must have the worst luck with starters. In my case it was the Hitachi brand. The remedy is to either replace the starter with a remanufactured one ~$180.00 at Autozone (special order)

OR

fix it by disassembling, cleaning every bit of old grease with brake or electric motor cleaner and relubing all the moving parts including the solenoid plunger with Hi-Temp lithium-based bearing & chassis grease. I used Valvoline Synpower synthetic, $4.00 at Autozone. Lube the inside of the pinion gear and shaft (it's the one that connects and turns the engine's flywheel). Don't lube the external teeth or the flywheel. Mark the starter as you separate it to help with reassembly. Tighten the screws half turn after snug. Clean the external electrical connections too. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 PM

If the sound is more of a "rattle" noise then you could ask the dealer if TSB NTB03-060 http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-060.pdf for the 2002 Max applies to you. Maybe Nissan needs to revise the VINs affected to include yours if it's the same problem. It's warranty regardless.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by greenguy
I hear a grinding sound coming from under the hood. Real quick. Lasts only about 2 seconds and then goes away.
My 2000 does this as well, but it sounds to me like it's a slightly higher pitched noise than I'd associated with grinding. Anyway, I figured it was either the alternator or starter and it usually only happens when the engine is cold, like as you described. I can see from the other posts that it's more than likely the starter.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BBarty
If the sound is more of a "rattle" noise then you could ask the dealer if TSB NTB03-060 http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-060.pdf for the 2002 Max applies to you. Maybe Nissan needs to revise the VINs affected to include yours if it's the same problem. It's warranty regardless.

This sounds like the problem. Is it serious? Id rather it just be a starter or alternator but from what Im reading, the rattle sound that happens when the car sits for a while in the cold matches up to your link info. I guess my biggest concern is it could damage the engine. Did you get this fixed?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:08 PM

This sounds like the problem. Is it serious? Id rather it just be a starter or alternator but from what Im reading, the rattle sound that happens when the car sits for a while in the cold matches up to your link info. I guess my biggest concern is it could damage the engine. Did you get this fixed?
The word is, that there will be no long term damage from this. Even the TSB says (at the bottom) that some noise is NORMAL.

The alternative is to have Nissan Service dissasemble your engine, put in a new sprocket, and reassemble which "might" fix it. One member said he has brought his in 6 times for the fix, and they have not succeeded yet.

As much as I hate the noise at startup, it might be better to live with it.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:57 AM

So far my sprockets are quiet but I have the 3.0L VQ30DE engine. Different components.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:04 AM

I've heard that exact noise. It's a clicking that sounds like the starter's stuck, then it releases. It only happens occasionally, though. I said something to the Nissan people here, they thought I was crazy. To make it worse, the local Ford dealership just bought the Nissan dealership. Don't plan on taking my car there!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:09 AM

I've got that noise too.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:09 AM

Your not alone Greenguy... I too have been hearing this from time to time on my 03' SE (27K Miles). I've started a log, keeping track of the outside temp and hours the car sat idol. I'll then go see the local stealer. I do this, because I have learned that they will try and blow you off if you can not say exactly when and under what conditions this type of thing happens. It's always a hoot to wip out a spreadsheet just when they are ready to dismiss the problem as being normal or inconsequential.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:25 AM

I had the same problem on my 2000 SE it's the starter it would grind if it sat there for awhile in cool or cold weather. I had the starter replaced no grinding since.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Skier
Your not alone Greenguy... I too have been hearing this from time to time on my 03' SE (27K Miles). I've started a log, keeping track of the outside temp and hours the car sat idol. I'll then go see the local stealer. I do this, because I have learned that they will try and blow you off if you can not say exactly when and under what conditions this type of thing happens. It's always a hoot to wip out a spreadsheet just when they are ready to dismiss the problem as being normal or inconsequential.

Sounds like the sound is really ****ing you off.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:18 PM

opps! i said a bad word.