5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Do GXEs get looked down on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 09:37 AM

...from the post titled "GXE"... i got the impression that GXEs don't get the respect that they deserve...?

The GXE, theoritically, should be faster, since it's about a 100lbs lighter. And the taillamps are ugly with the full red... ? Do you SE/GLE guys really think the GXE sucks that bad?
Old 03-22-2001, 10:04 AM

I have to admit i look down on anything that isnt my car gxe, gle, whatever still got that maxima love though...

Adam
Old 03-22-2001, 10:06 AM
Got Bent?

No way.... the GXE is also great in my book. Hey, if it is a Maxima, I like it The SE looks a bit better, but I like the GXE also. Plus, if you really hook up the GXE, you can blow away a Max of any flavor....
Old 03-22-2001, 10:09 AM

When I first got my GXE, I really thought that I was downgrading. I bought mine used and really wanted an SE but the $25000 price tag was not what I wanted for a first car. After driving it for a week and adding a FSTB to the car, I haven't regretted one second of the purchase. I absolutely love it. I am a big car audio fanatic and plan on gutting the entire stock system. For all my upgrades that I will add to it, it will be EXACTLY like a SE except cheaper.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:10 AM

I think that stock gxes with the 52 spoke rims, red tails and no spolier look bad. Once you start modding, I don't care what it is, GXE, GLE, SE, they're all hot!
Old 03-22-2001, 10:29 AM

I sometimes wish I had purchased a GXE.. and then added some new springs/wheels..etc..

but I weighed the hassel of getting parts that were going to work correctly as an overall whole against a factory effort which was tuned.. and decided on a loaded SE.

At this point I am waiting for the bumper-bumper warranty to expire so I can change the springs/brakes on the car.

Do I look down on GXE's? Weellll... I hate to say.. but I do gloat just a bit.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:50 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

GXE's are faster than other models because of less features. I don't look down on other models because it's a matter of one's taste and budget.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:54 AM

I have repect for GXE's, but i am really a snot when it comes to my car. If it isn't fully loaded, i don't want it. My max has every concieveable option (except auto and traction control) It's the way my parents always bought cars, every one of our vehicles had all the options you could get. I guess it rubbed off on me :-) Enjoy your car!
Old 03-22-2001, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by bry2kse
I sometimes wish I had purchased a GXE.. and then added some new springs/wheels..etc..

but I weighed the hassel of getting parts that were going to work correctly as an overall whole against a factory effort which was tuned.. and decided on a loaded SE.

At this point I am waiting for the bumper-bumper warranty to expire so I can change the springs/brakes on the car.

Do I look down on GXE's? Weellll... I hate to say.. but I do gloat just a bit.
I have to say that I wanted to get the SE over the GXE as well. I think the SE is a great car, but like most cars it's just ad ons that make it different from the base line. I bought the whole leather interior for $700 w/the wood plastic trim and leather steering wheel, Eibach Springs off the org. for $150., Wing $363 painted, soon SE tail lights. We won't talk about how much I spent on my 19"s. But it's pretty much like an SE now, but I saved a little $$$$ in the process. GXE,SE,GLE are great, but the AE is hard to match...

Tom
Old 03-22-2001, 12:50 PM

now i feel alone!

Am I the only person on this forum who doesn't like the tinted rear tail lights?

I'll be completely honest that b/c of those lights I went with the gxe over the se! but the stock wheels were fugly, so i changed them fast. but i would've changed those stock 6 spokes on the se too. RSB, alum dash, clear lenses, FSTB, RSTB, and wheels I wouldn't trade it for an se anyday. would like the colored gauges, but hey can't have it all.
Old 03-22-2001, 02:53 PM

When i was looking, i looked at the SEs... $27K they wanted. Looked at the GXEs, 22K they wanted. Hmm. I thought i could get the SE for maybe $25K new. But, what does it have that the GXE doesn't that make me happy..

First, fully loaded doesn't bother me. The Maxima, optionless has every feature i could ask for. power windows, locks, keyless entry, A/C, power mirrors, etc. I had a '88 supra turbo. It had power everything. The seats were 8 way adjustable, it had power mirrors, power door locks, auto evac, telescoptic steering wheel, so on so on and so on...oh, and it had a turbo capable of 1.7 bar and a LSD!!

But, what I wanted from the SE, the SE rims, the rear spoiler, the rear taillamps, the fog lamps, the white face gauges, and the neat automatic climate control. Aside that, i could live. I don't need leather. It requires too much maintenance. The stiffer suspension wasn't even considered to be a big issue.

So, i bought the GXE... paid $1600 for my 18s white rims, paid $40 for the fog lamps, $190 for the SE taillamps, $220 for eibach springs, $35 to have the muffler that was given to me with the rims installed, Free Stillen Swaybar, $330 Stillen Y-pipe, $80 for AE door sills, $40 for the AE Shifter, tint for $120, upgraded stereo system for $300, $85 for the mud flaps, and $4 Powered By Gas stickers... and my car is still cheaper than a SE, but, looks better than a stock SE, and i got everything i want, except the darn rear spoiler, the auto EVAC, and white face gauges. Eh...I feel discriminated on sometimes cause i have a GXE. .shrugs. oh well, life goes on.
Old 03-22-2001, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
When i was looking, i looked at the SEs... $27K they wanted. Looked at the GXEs, 22K they wanted. Hmm. I thought i could get the SE for maybe $25K new. But, what does it have that the GXE doesn't that make me happy..

First, fully loaded doesn't bother me. The Maxima, optionless has every feature i could ask for. power windows, locks, keyless entry, A/C, power mirrors, etc. I had a '88 supra turbo. It had power everything. The seats were 8 way adjustable, it had power mirrors, power door locks, auto evac, telescoptic steering wheel, so on so on and so on...oh, and it had a turbo capable of 1.7 bar and a LSD!!

But, what I wanted from the SE, the SE rims, the rear spoiler, the rear taillamps, the fog lamps, the white face gauges, and the neat automatic climate control. Aside that, i could live. I don't need leather. It requires too much maintenance. The stiffer suspension wasn't even considered to be a big issue.

So, i bought the GXE... paid $1600 for my 18s white rims, paid $40 for the fog lamps, $190 for the SE taillamps, $220 for eibach springs, $35 to have the muffler that was given to me with the rims installed, Free Stillen Swaybar, $330 Stillen Y-pipe, $80 for AE door sills, $40 for the AE Shifter, tint for $120, upgraded stereo system for $300, $85 for the mud flaps, and $4 Powered By Gas stickers... and my car is still cheaper than a SE, but, looks better than a stock SE, and i got everything i want, except the darn rear spoiler, the auto EVAC, and white face gauges. Eh...I feel discriminated on sometimes cause i have a GXE. .shrugs. oh well, life goes on.
GXE's, SE's, GLE's, AE's. All Maxes are sweet. I'm sorry that you feel discriminated against. I tried to combine the GLE's wood trim / leather interior and the SE's wing and tail lights and of course Eibach springs with 19" wheels to be my own creation. I really haven't felt discriminated against. I hope that people at the org. that own SE's and GLE's realize that we basically own the same cars but with different options... LOL for all maxes...

Tom
Old 03-22-2001, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by maxse01
I have repect for GXE's, but i am really a snot when it comes to my car. If it isn't fully loaded, i don't want it. My max has every concieveable option (except auto and traction control) It's the way my parents always bought cars, every one of our vehicles had all the options you could get. I guess it rubbed off on me :-) Enjoy your car!
SAME HERE!!! My parents always bought the TOP-O-D-LINE, so it rubbed on me too. I had to have the AE and when the new 360hp Max comes out, I'll have to have that one too. But that's just me. All Max's are great!
Old 03-22-2001, 04:53 PM

Re: now i feel alone!

Originally posted by otter'sMAX
Am I the only person on this forum who doesn't like the tinted rear tail lights?

I'll be completely honest that b/c of those lights I went with the gxe over the se! but the stock wheels were fugly, so i changed them fast. but i would've changed those stock 6 spokes on the se too. RSB, alum dash, clear lenses, FSTB, RSTB, and wheels I wouldn't trade it for an se anyday. would like the colored gauges, but hey can't have it all.
I agree they are hideous!!!! How stunning are the rubies that offset my onyx, elegant beauty. Needless to say, I didn't like the SE taillights so I got a dealer optioned out GXE ( Leather, spoiler, and sunroof) That's all need and loving it!!!
Old 03-22-2001, 04:58 PM
a33

gxe

i wouldnt say that i will look down on gxe's
i dont think anyone should feel bad, after all it is still a great maxima
people might not want all the extra luxury features that come with the se or gle, or maybe they dont need it
i personally really dont like the taillights of the gle and gxe but thats just my opinion
for guys with gxe's: dont have to be unhappy if people look down to your car, as long as you like it!!!
Old 03-22-2001, 05:03 PM

GXE

Hey... a 5th gen. Max is a 5th gen. Max-same engine, same body, platform...

Great car.....period !!!!!!!

PS Who gives a f... what people think
Old 03-22-2001, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by punkdork
I think that stock gxes with the 52 spoke rims, red tails and no spolier look bad. Once you start modding, I don't care what it is, GXE, GLE, SE, they're all hot!
Well we dont like your stinking taillights! . 52 spoke WTF??? No spoiler??? Well the spoiler part I agree with. Im gonna get one soon.
Old 03-22-2001, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by max2kgle526

Well we dont like your stinking taillights! . 52 spoke WTF??? No spoiler??? Well the spoiler part I agree with. Im gonna get one soon.
52 spoke was an exaggeration (sp?). I think a majority of people on here prefer the SE taillights. As has been mentioned, GXE leaves you with a lot more $$$ to mod with.. then it's a whole new ballgame
Old 03-22-2001, 11:39 PM

Re: Re: now i feel alone!

Originally posted by MaxTraxx

I agree they are hideous!!!! How stunning are the rubies that offset my onyx, elegant beauty. Needless to say, I didn't like the SE taillights so I got a dealer optioned out GXE ( Leather, spoiler, and sunroof) That's all need and loving it!!!
Hey! where can I get a car like that?! A GXE with leather?
Old 03-23-2001, 12:26 AM

Re: gxe

I said this on the GLE and SE post... It's well suited for this one....When driving down the road you can't really tell between a GXE and a GLE. You can only tell if you look at the interior or the Badges on the back. The SE on the other hand you can tell because of the tail lights and the wing. GLE looks like a non sports car, while the SE looks like a sports car. It's all about looks. Take off the Badges and add a wing and some black tail lights and you have an SE.. If you spent the money for an SE, then of course your going to say your car is better that the GLE. If you spent money on the GLE, then of course your going to say it's better than the GXE. If you spent less money on the GXE, then you'll say you saved money and you car is just as good a the GLE or SE. It's human nature to think that your toys are better than others. Go figure.....

Tom
Old 03-23-2001, 02:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i don't know...personally, right now, i think my car looks better than a SE...i think... now i just need to get my door handle painted and get those SE tail lights!!
Old 03-23-2001, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

i don't know...personally, right now, i think my car looks better than a SE...i think... now i just need to get my door handle painted and get those SE tail lights!!
Taillights first... believe me, it's worth the money. You've seen mine...
Old 03-23-2001, 09:21 AM

snob appeal

Anyone who "looks down" on someone in a GXE has serious issues. They've obviously never had any struggles and can't respect that there are many criteria aside from money that lead someone to purchase a certain product. If you are driving a car because you think it makes you somebody, you are in for a disappointment in life because your priorities and core values are screwed up.

Now, with that said, I am biased obviously because I chose the SE AE. The appearance and features make ME happy. I don't really care what the next guy thinks. True, it does make you feel good when somebody compliments the car, but it's not like I built it, so what is the big deal.

Drive what you like and what you can obtain within your means. For heaven's sake don't overextend to get something just to please other people. If you can't get what you want now, then either save toward it, or make the sacrifice now and keep a goal ahead of you.

I personally have little respect for someone that would show no respect to another based on what they use to get from point A to point B. It's a sign of a shallow, self-centered person that would express such a thing.

srm
Old 03-23-2001, 10:42 AM

Amen

Most people have no idea that there is even a difference between one Maxima and another Max. (Except for all of us Maxima.org freaks) I do not feel like less of a human being because I drive a gasp!...GXE.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just pruchased a '01 Maxima GXE...I too do not like the rear tail lights on the SE or GLE. Also keep in mind folks that other people may want to save money or use the money that they save on a GXE for other things. The maxima I got has the spoiler and fogs. It also has the 16" aluminum alloy wheels (not the star type). Which in my opinion looks very classy. All Maximas are nice cars, and we customize them to our liking and taste. That's the fun in doing it. To express our individual personality.
Old 03-23-2001, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by maxmagna
I just pruchased a '01 Maxima GXE...I too do not like the rear tail lights on the SE or GLE. *snip*
Then what tails do you have on your GXE? They come with the same tails that the GLE has... SE is the only one with the black tails.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mistake

Originally posted by punkdork

Then what tails do you have on your GXE? They come with the same tails that the GLE has... SE is the only one with the black tails.
I made a boo boo...I like the look of the GXE & GLE...the black out's on the SE are not to my liking. But all Maxima's are great looking
Old 03-23-2001, 04:13 PM

I don't look down on GXE's, or GLE's for that matter. Like whoever said, it's a great car regardless of what trim level.

What does irk me is people building the car into something it's not. People putting 20'th anniversary exterior badges, changing lights and stuff like that. I can see things like replacing pedals and kick plates for looks, but trying to pass your car off as something it's not just ain't right.

There is one guy around here has a white 2000 GXE (no badge on the trunk) with a wing and 17 inch SE rims. (who thinks I REALLY despise this guy).

Well that is what I think.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:20 PM

Re: Mistake

Originally posted by maxmagna
I made a boo boo...I like the look of the GXE & GLE...the black out's on the SE are not to my liking. But all Maxima's are great looking
The blackouts do look out of place on some colors.. look good on superblack and grey lustre to me.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:41 PM

Rather than saying that the blackouts look out of place on some cars, I would say that the reds look good on some (few) cars.

I feel that the black outs change the rear end look of the care more than anything else. The black outs actually make the rear end look decent!
Old 03-23-2001, 05:10 PM

To tell you the truth, depending on what options you get, the GXE is better than SE and GLE. But as fully loaded, it's no competion. Bottom Line: Just cause it says SE or GLE doesn't mean it cost more than GXE. My GXE has C&C packace, auto trans, spoiler, and future SE tailights. A stock SE or GLE doesn't have this.
Old 03-23-2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by bert

There is one guy around here has a white 2000 GXE (no badge on the trunk) with a wing and 17 inch SE rims. (who thinks I REALLY despise this guy).

Well that is what I think.
Well my GXE didn't come w/ a badge on it other than the MAXIMA. Nothing saying its a GXE. Do you dispise me too? I have the fact fog lights, different pedals, different shift ****. Have the AE sill plates.

Just kiddin w/ you but once again its personal taste. If he/she likes it then that's their business and no one elses. Now if that same person tries to sell that car saing that its an AE, that's wrong.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:11 PM

troll

The AE is the only Maxima.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:19 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well...

I dont care so much for the tinted tails.

I dont see how anyone could look down on GXE's. the only thing that I sometimes think "is that rental?". I would say that 50% of all the GXE's I see are rentals. and as such they get quite ragged out fast. Also, GXE's tend to be fleet cars. they often have 2x more mileage and look it, generally never waxed and door dinged up.

I mean it has nothing to do with the options or cost. but they are the ones that are typically beatup. Yeah, I've already seen some ratty 2k. sad. When I see a clean well kept GXE, I cant say I think about the model at all.
Old 03-23-2001, 11:53 PM

I can't really see much reason to shell out so much money for the SE or GLE. I paid $19k cash for my GXE (dealers basically give away GXE 5 speeds). For the difference I could outfit my car with all the functional features the SE has (wheels, tires, shocks, springs, leather). Also I didn't have to get the stuff that adds weight like fog lights and spoiler

I guess I am kind of a snob about my GXE. Especially when I hear people paying nearly 30k for a Maxima. I'll always buy the stripper. The car companies make most their profits on options and the dealers make it on addon crap.
Old 03-24-2001, 04:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Daniel Ralston
I can't really see much reason to shell out so much money for the SE or GLE. I paid $19k cash for my GXE (dealers basically give away GXE 5 speeds). For the difference I could outfit my car with all the functional features the SE has (wheels, tires, shocks, springs, leather). Also I didn't have to get the stuff that adds weight like fog lights and spoiler

I guess I am kind of a snob about my GXE. Especially when I hear people paying nearly 30k for a Maxima. I'll always buy the stripper. The car companies make most their profits on options and the dealers make it on addon crap.
man...a bit too extreme there...fog lights don't really add much weights..hehe..
Old 03-24-2001, 12:28 PM

Why?

The way your car looks you should not feel discriminated against by anyone. YOUR CAR IS SWEET!! I also stated this to you in a previous post before you wrote this article. I still love my car but I can still admire a nice vechile when I see it but its all subjective though. And by the way, I think the red tailamps also look sweet. They probably would look better on my car than the current ones.
Old 03-24-2001, 12:52 PM
My 4DSC

$18,500 -New 2000 Maxima GXE 5-speed
$ 3,900 -Stillen SuperCharger
$ 1,200 -19" Rims & Tires (I find ALL the deals!)
________

$23,600 -STILL cheaper than if i bought an "SE"!

And I look ALOT better than a stock SE...
PLUS I'm now making about...oh... 340HP!!! (flywheel)

OK...so I dont have power heated seats & a dimming mirror.
I AINT NO PRISS!!!

Old 03-24-2001, 12:58 PM

I don't look down on any Maxima but I agree with the comments on the GXEs being used a lot as rental cars. Also, it looks odd to have hubcaps and no center console on $20k+ car. The GXEs are an excellent starting point if you plan on adding wheels, shocks, etc. However, your added options will not bring you the same trade-in value down the road.
Old 03-24-2001, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by 2Maxed-out4u
To tell you the truth, depending on what options you get, the GXE is better than SE and GLE. But as fully loaded, it's no competion. Bottom Line: Just cause it says SE or GLE doesn't mean it cost more than GXE. My GXE has C&C packace, auto trans, spoiler, and future SE tailights. A stock SE or GLE doesn't have this.
Your not kidding are you? "Depending on what options you get, the GXE is better than SE and GLE." Base price for a GLE is around $27,500 and it comes with things standard and can be optioned with things the GXE can't get. If you payed that much for your GXE, your a fool. "My GXE has C&C packace, auto trans, spoiler, and future SE tailights. A stock SE or GLE doesn't have this." Oh really? "future SE tailights" don't come on SE's huh? Oh spoilers dont' come stock on SE's? Bwahahaha I'm laughing...GLE's have all the Optional items on the GXE standard and also comes with Bose, Leather, Wood, Chrome all Standard. Stock SE and GLE can be optioned or come standard with automatic, spoiler, and C&C package. Where are you getting your information from?

From the base price view, the GXE is the cheapest, SE, SE AE, then GLE. THE SE AE when fully optioned is the most expensive one. The GLE is the most luxurious one with wood, chrome trim and soft (Same as GXE) suspension.

Quick Reply: Do GXEs get looked down on?