5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0140 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 04:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

P0140 question

My wife's 2k Maxima recently developed a P0140 code, which is related to one of the O2 sensors.

Those of you who have had the code and did the repair yourself, did you just have to replace the O2 sensor in question? Were you able to do the repair yourself without any further issues?

The reason I ask is because my wife wants to take the car to the dealer, but I hate paying them so much for something as simple as a sensor replacement.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2004, 04:59 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
My wife's 2k Maxima recently developed a P0140 code, which is related to one of the O2 sensors.

Those of you who have had the code and did the repair yourself, did you just have to replace the O2 sensor in question? Were you able to do the repair yourself without any further issues?

The reason I ask is because my wife wants to take the car to the dealer, but I hate paying them so much for something as simple as a sensor replacement.

Thanks!
you may want to consider taking it in for at least apart of the repair. i had p0140 show up and found out that code was part of a tsb. since i was out of the 36k mile mark, they covered the repair under extended warranty. the replaced both downstream o2 sensors and flashed the ecu. supposedly the flash adjusts the tolerances of the sensors. i would consider at least having them do the reflash so you are not stuck with another bad one.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:33 PM

I went at the dealer service dept, and ask them about the P0140 and one of the service guy said it's the last O2 sensor downstream, I then order the O2 sensor but they never call me back, I dunno why, anyway I'm going to buy another one somewhere else and install myself. I can erase the code with my OBDII consol after, as for the ecu flash I dont really care my car has always run perfectly.

Cheers

AA
Old 05-07-2004, 03:16 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by doublea
I went at the dealer service dept, and ask them about the P0140 and one of the service guy said it's the last O2 sensor downstream, I then order the O2 sensor but they never call me back, I dunno why, anyway I'm going to buy another one somewhere else and install myself. I can erase the code with my OBDII consol after, as for the ecu flash I dont really care my car has always run perfectly.

Cheers

AA
downstream o2 sensors wont affect driveability. the reason i had the flash is because i did not feel like replacing them every 30k miles and being free did not hurt any. the funny thing is i happened to run my harrision unit about 3 weeks after the repair and i had 357 codes all of 0000. the ecu said the light was on but was not physically on so i reset it and never came back. ill have to see how/if relocating my downstream o2 affects them with the header install this weekend.