5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cold start and screeching sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:36 AM

Cold start and screeching sound

Lately, I have my car rev up to 2000 RPM during cold start i.e. early in the morning and while reving up it sceeches for some time and then it is OK.

This does not happen when I restart my car when the engine/oil is warm. Should I be concerned -- I checked the IVC and it is OK and no SES light.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:30 PM

Yes, lately it's been happening to me too, except my maxima revs up to around 2500rpm just from a cold start and the screeching sound lasts until the engine warms up or about 15 20min. I have check out the engine myself and have not seen anything wrong, also have checked with a body shop and they cant find anything wrong with it either without charging me like $100 for an in depth inspection =\

BTW this is an '01 Maxima
Old 05-13-2004, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Lately, I have my car rev up to 2000 RPM during cold start i.e. early in the morning and while reving up it sceeches for some time and then it is OK.

This does not happen when I restart my car when the engine/oil is warm. Should I be concerned -- I checked the IVC and it is OK and no SES light.
You have a slipping belt. The rubber doesn't slip when it's warmed up because it contracts and shortens the belt, tightening it...and I suspect the coefficient of friction might even be higher then, too.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rayn4est
You have a slipping belt. The rubber doesn't slip when it's warmed up because it contracts and shortens the belt, tightening it...and I suspect the coefficient of friction might even be higher then, too.

Heat expands so im not sure its the belt, BUT my car before my 00 max had that problem and it was because of the powersteering pump they do that when they are ready to go, till they warm up, but im not sure its the same noise as your hearing so just check the fluid and make sure its topped off and try and listen to see if its coming from the pump to make sure.. good luck
Old 05-17-2004, 11:23 AM

When you mentioned about PS fluid - it immediately rang a bell in my mind. A few months ago I had replaced for the first time the PS fluid to Mobil 1 Syn ATF and the levels were right (cold and hot levels) even as it was screeching.

FYI, the screeching started after more than a month or so after changing to Mobil 1 syn ATF --- over this weekend I replaced the syn fluid with Valvoline ATF (not synthetic) and the screeching is gone.

Man I have had enough with these syn fluids -- no more of syn fluids on my Maxima. I don't know why syn fluids don't work on my maxima -- I would think its water like viscosity of syn fluids compared to thicker viscosity of petroleum based fluids.

On a side not -- I shall stop munking around with my max moving forward unless absolutely necessary.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:13 PM

I just had a strange noise happen the other day myself. Not a screeching. Mine sounded like a metal rattle, like something hitting a heat shield or something. It only happened once....so I'm hoping it's just a fluke. If anyone know otherwise.....give a yell!