Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Bad starter motor? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/22995-bad-starter-motor.html)

Adam01GXE 03-26-2001 10:38 AM

Have any of you guys experienced problems starting your cars? At kind of random times my car acts like it doens't want to start at all. I'm pretty sure its not the battery b/c the car doesn't seem to be winding up, but rather sounds like its just not catching. I at first contributed it to cold weather, but the other day it was 60 and the car had trouble starting. Any thoughts?

Lumbee799 03-26-2001 11:03 AM

I have had it happen twice so far. Starter is spinning but engine is not catching. I believe there was a similar post around here and said to just give it a few seconds and try again.

IceY2K1 03-26-2001 11:31 AM

I've had this happen several times.

I believe it's a "starter disable" problem with the microchip in the key. After a few seconds of cranking the "access code" is finally given and the engine starts. Maybe, when you put the key in the ignition you need to give it a couple seconds. I also think certain interferance problems could screw with the process every now and then.

I've seen a TSB or something related to this problem. I remember someone having to have their keys recoded to fix the problem. I haven't had the time to investigate getting this fixed yet.

Adam01GXE 03-26-2001 04:30 PM

Thanks, hopefully that's all it is.

Wustylez 03-26-2001 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Adam01GXE
Thanks, hopefully that's all it is.

Read your manual, it addresses such problem---pressing your gas when the engine is cold or hot(hard to start)etc....

Tim

Adam01GXE 03-26-2001 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Wustylez

Read your manual, it addresses such problem---pressing your gas when the engine is cold or hot(hard to start)etc....

Tim

Shouldn't pressing the gas actually flood an EFI engine?

IceY2K1 03-26-2001 07:32 PM

If the problem starting is due to lack of fuel, when you turn the key to the on position, you are turning on the fuel pump which will pressurize the fuel lines. So you shouldn't need to pump the pedal, because the injectors will already be suppling enough cold start fuel enrichment.

MrBurner 03-26-2001 07:37 PM

this happens to me once in awhile and i have 15k miles...hasn't happened for a few thousand miles, but it's really embarassing when you are with a new girl or when you are outside of a performance shop and you car almost sounds like it won't turn over for a couple seconds

Wustylez 03-26-2001 08:10 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1
If the problem starting is due to lack of fuel, when you turn the key to the on position, you are turning on the fuel pump which will pressurize the fuel lines. So you shouldn't need to pump the pedal, because the injectors will already be suppling enough cold start fuel enrichment.

It's in your car manual..read it..it's there i don't know if it will flood the EFI or what not.but that is what manual suggests!!!!

Tim