5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed: Stillen Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 12:21 PM

Tools:
-a big *** O2 Sensor wrench (i think it was a 1/4 inch? NOT a crow's foot wrench)
-Air tools
-10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets & 12mm wrench
-Socket wrench
-Sledge hammer
-Screwdriver
-flex-elbow for socket

Total time was under an hour, including jacking the car up and looking at the underside of the car. Since I'm in vegas, I only have TWO O2 sensors whereas those filthy Cali vehicles have THREE...Thank god i don't live in Cali.
The pipe is really shiny, comes in two pieces and has replacement gaskets and a plug for those non-cali folk for the third o2 hole. There's the large plate that reads something like: "This pipe cannot be used on any vehicle that is used on public highway. For offroad use only." I thought that kinda sucked, but, oh well. I don't care for stainless steel since i live in vegas, it rains 4-5 days a year and 30-45mins tops each time it rains. Rust is about as existent as Megabuck jackpots. I have a straight through 2.5" muffler on the car before the y-pipe and it had a nice deep growl that was pretty quiet, even on WOT...sounding just a bit quieter than my friends modified 93 300ZX TT with a Trust exhaust system and gutted cats. Now, after the y-pipe, the car is pretty loud. at Start-up, there's a euphoric growl reminscent of a modified v8...quite pleasing. Yet, revving it, there's a bit of "twang" that takes me back to my CRX. On WOT under power, it moves much smoother and much louder...but it's a deep menancing sound. Between 5000-6500rpm it sounds like a Ferrari 355 on WOT...to add on, my gas mileage has dropped (too many runs to redline to hear the sound).
Overall, the increased noise is something to get use to, the added increase in power delivery is definitely nicer. For the price...? Well, I use to own a Supra where I spent a total of $300 to gain 53rwhp over stock and close to 95ft-lbs of torque (turbos kick ***)...I'm not use to this idea of paying a lot of money for little gains...so i'm still undecided if the cost is worth it. I'll get a .wav file made of WOT in the cabin, from the trunk, and idle someday.
Old 09-25-2000, 07:52 AM

So is there big increase of horsepower to your max? How is your take off? And how much did it run you? Last time I called I think they told me $225...

Old 09-26-2000, 01:15 AM
Zam

Did you test the car by accelerating with the wheel turned fully to the right and left? When the moon is just right I can hear the Y-pipe and frame bang. I shaved about a 1/2 inch off but that didn't fully remedy that problem. I'm not sure that the sound is bad either, it kinda whistles. Even with a stock exhaust/intake a coworker asked if I had a fartpipe installed.

Oh yeah, the shiny finish will soon melt away. It took me at least a week to notice the difference.

Any more pics???
Old 09-26-2000, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by vietvin
So is there big increase of horsepower to your max? How is your take off? And how much did it run you? Last time I called I think they told me $225...

add about $75-100 to that. Prices recently went up.
Old 09-26-2000, 08:56 PM

I just added a cattman Y-pipe this week. Its "true" stainless steel, not coated mild steel like the stillen pipe. The gain were VERY good, and because they make one for the different years, there is no extra hole to plug off. I would recommend that cattman y-pipe. It has a flex section and does not vibrate at all at any speeds.

The "Stillen" product I thnik we would all want though is the SC kit
Old 09-27-2000, 05:10 PM

No new pics. Waiting for my SE Taillamps to come in so i can install those. the greatest thing about the stillen y-pipe is when I rev past 5000rpm where it gets to sounding like one side of a Ferrari f355 =) When i start the car, sometimes, it bangs against something. I'm gonna jack the car up this weekend and see what's the deal.

Originally posted by Zam
Did you test the car by accelerating with the wheel turned fully to the right and left? When the moon is just right I can hear the Y-pipe and frame bang. I shaved about a 1/2 inch off but that didn't fully remedy that problem. I'm not sure that the sound is bad either, it kinda whistles. Even with a stock exhaust/intake a coworker asked if I had a fartpipe installed.

Oh yeah, the shiny finish will soon melt away. It took me at least a week to notice the difference.

Any more pics???
Old 09-28-2000, 03:51 PM

Someone send a dyno plot for these Y-pipes! I want to see the real gain!
Old 10-02-2000, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by madmax2k
Someone send a dyno plot for these Y-pipes! I want to see the real gain!
The Y pipe has been proven on various 89-99 maxima's to show a dyno verified 8-16hp depending on other mods. Basically when you do an intake and Y together thats when you get the full gains. Basically adding a Y pipe is the biggest difference you can make in engine power besides a SC. The 97-01 maxima's don't have the ECU upgrade available either.