5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone ever tried tinting their rear lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:42 AM

Has anyone ever tried tinting their rear lights?

I remember a while ago there were a few people who sprayed the inside (circle part) of their taillights red to make the whole circle red, rather than red on top and amber on the bottom (2k2+).... using that same procedure, i was wondering how it would look if i took my 2k1 SE taillights and shooting some tint spray back there.... has anyone tried thsi yet?

i have a full can of tint spray (niteshades or something) that i have never used (was gonna tint my sidemarkers, but decided against it)... and now im trying to find some uses for it..... if anyone has tried this, can you post some pics... wanna see how it looks before i start spraying everything... heh
Old 05-27-2004, 01:27 PM
I miss the .org!

Here were my taillight experiments. Not exactly what you were asking for, but gives you some idea maybe...

All clear/chrome tails. Sprayed Testors Candy Apple Red on turn and brake lenses from inside.

00-01 GXE/GLE tails. Same paint on turn signal from inside.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have a taillight tint how-to using NiteShades here:

http://www.kevinfisher.net/web_serve...light-mod.html

more pics can be found on my homepage.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by fishhouse
i have a taillight tint how-to using NiteShades here:

http://www.kevinfisher.net/web_serve...light-mod.html

more pics can be found on my homepage.
hey looks good man... so u actually tinted the outside of the circle right? i was looking to tint the inside of the circle itself.... wonder how it would look....
but urs seems a little dark.... how many coats of the tint did u spray??? i would want it a bit lighter..
Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 AM

I think the taillights are the wrost part of the Maxima. Every time someone looks at my car the only falt is always the cheesy tails. So far i've gone through 2 sets of 2k2+ and i'm on my third now trying to do something orginal. I think that tinting them might be a good option, but how does that stuff hold up after you wash the car for a while? The last thing I want is black tint getting all over my car.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:57 AM

i was thinking of tinting them from the inside.... take out the bulbs... and spraying from the hole... i think that's what people have been doing to paint the amber part red on the 2k3 lights
Old 05-28-2004, 12:11 PM

yes...that is Niteshades on the outside.

it is about 4 coats. it may look dark in the pics, but in the sun the red really pops through. i actually wish i would of done a few more coats. it is ok though...matches my gray luster well.

geez, Hamy...i saw your new pics the other day since your Aero kit install....
dude...your car is my hero right now! looks so much better - planning on doing the same kit for my next mod. now get some tint on that thing!!

anyways... no need to worry about the NiteShades washing of or something. this stuff is like a spray paint. when it goes on...it stays! although, as mentioned in my how-to, after appling my NiteShades coats, i did hit the tails with a clear gloss cover-coat spray. i did this to help protect the tint from scratching, fading, etc but also to help shine up the tint (the NiteShades goes on kindof matte).