5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

auto slipping on 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

auto slipping on 1-2 shift

I've only had my car for about 2 months now and I always thought the 1-2 shift seemed slow under wot. The other night I was getting on the freeway and punched it and it slipped going into second. I see there is a tsb about this, but is there anyway to tell if its the tcm or do I need a new transmission? Also how much $$$ am i looking at to get this taken care of.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:01 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Lytheum
I've only had my car for about 2 months now and I always thought the 1-2 shift seemed slow under wot. The other night I was getting on the freeway and punched it and it slipped going into second. I see there is a tsb about this, but is there anyway to tell if its the tcm or do I need a new transmission? Also how much $$$ am i looking at to get this taken care of.
its most likely the solenoids. the tsb states replacing solenoids for the 1-2 shift and the tcm replacement is for 2-3 shift. i had the solenoids replaced at about 10k before i had any issues and the same for the tcm at 19k. if you have an extended warranty then you should be able to have it covered.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:13 PM

no extended warranty and 86k miles on the car.

i am going to have my dad check it out tomorrow(nissan master tech) and see what he thinks
Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

no extended warranty and 86k miles on the car.

i am going to have my dad check it out tomorrow(nissan master tech) and see what he thinks
if he cant do something for you then i dont know what to tell you, haha. im sure he can get it but here is the copy of the tsb im sure he will do this, but make sure they check the condition of the tranny fluid to make sure its not the original fluid and check the magnets on the pan to see what kind of condition its in.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:38 PM

tranny fluid was changed about 2 weeks ago. it was shifting slow before the change. it was switched to amsoil atf. the old fluid was dark colored, but didn't smell burnt or anything.

he hasn't driven it yet, but he said it probably the way i drive?....lol. all i did was push the pedal to the floor on freeway onramps
Old 06-05-2004, 06:20 PM

tranny fluid was changed about 2 weeks ago. it was shifting slow before the change. it was switched to amsoil atf. the old fluid was dark colored, but didn't smell burnt or anything.

he hasn't driven it yet, but he said it probably the way i drive?....lol. all i did was push the pedal to the floor on freeway onramps
My 95 max and 2000 I30 do the same thing. I never had time to get the TSB done on the 2000. Recently changed to synthetic AFT and shifting is much improved. Under hard acceleration there is still a slight delay going 1 to 2 then it goes into 2nd with "thump", but shifts very smoothly during "normal" less aggressive driving that the shifts are not felt. It seems the Trannys are programed to shift differently under easy and aggressive driving for some reason.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:29 PM

hmm...maybe. its seems to shift fine under 3500-4k rpms, but above there is a delay and i swear it slipped at wot. though it only seemed to slip with tcs turned off
Old 06-05-2004, 06:34 PM
scopium

your tranny is on its way out.. i had the EXACT same problem..
if you have warranty.. they should fix it no questions asked

Old 06-06-2004, 01:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 2000 max auto as well and i have that problem sometimes and i am only at 53000 miles so i have warentee tell 60k and i was gona take it to Nissan and the **** head there was like ohh well there is NOTHING we can do to check it he said everything is electronic and IF there was any problems with the trans the "CHECK ENGINE" lighe would be on but if thats not on then it worthless droping if off to them so he says ? what should i do ? is he right ? i dunno i would like to get it taken care of is it is a warentee issue but there not even giving me the time of day ? anyone know what i should do ?
Shaun A.
Sarnold714@yahoo.com
Old 06-06-2004, 07:21 AM
scopium

bro.. the check engine light is not gonna come on if your tranny is slipping... the dealer said that cause they dont want to fix it under warranty.. and i recommend not taking your car there cause they'll do a ****ty job..
usually dealers who have high sells dont hassle about warranty work so find a dealer that looks like they are doiing good...

also, call 800 NISSAN USA and report your tranny problem and they will tell you whether you are covered under warranty or not..
and then tell them that the dealer you reported to refused to do the work..

get that thing fixed before warranty ends..

Old 06-07-2004, 01:08 PM

its been shifting fine the last few days now. i am not really sure whats goin on with it. i guess i should just keep saving up some money incase i have to get it fixed.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:48 PM
scopium

you know what maybe its your tranny oil.. have you ever changed it?..
if not maybe you should get a tranny flush .. at jiffy lube or something

Old 06-07-2004, 02:58 PM

i bet you it is the solenoids and TCM. The way I explain it is: At WOT the car would go to about redline, sit at redline for a second and then shift kinda rough into second. There was a sort of hesitation before the shift.

I had the shift solenoids replaced and the problem was greatly improved (still shifts kinda slow for my tast, but I think it is normal).

Does this sound like what is going on with your tranny?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:58 AM

Careful!

I had the EXACT thing happen. The slipping and 1-2 shift got harder and harder. I took it to the dealership under warranty (~56k miles) and was told nothing was wrong and they couldn't reproduce it. I called BS and said i wasn't taking the car back until they *did* reproduce it. Well long and short they still couldn't find anything wrong and gave me a free tranny flush/change to appease me.

Fast forward about 6 weeks later. Tranny was a little bit better shifting, but it was still humping hard to second. I'm driving down freeway on my way home from a clients and i get onto my offramp to go home. I come to yield and hit the gas to pull onto the street..... i hit gas again.... barely moving. Not good. I floor it.. car starts to move a little bit... i keep it floored... (didn't give two craps at this point).. i dog it home and BARELY make it up my driveway (all 25 feet of it). I put it in park and turn off the engine. I start her back up and throw it in reverse and give it some gas... uh oh.. it was like the car was in neutral. So i call nissan and have them tow the car. Three days later i get a call saying they just had to replace the ENTIRE tranny due to 1st,2nd, and reverse being completely blown out of the housing (I still can't figure that one out).

Luckily Nissan footed the $1850.00 bill for the new tranny some 2500 miles before my 60k warranty expired.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by scopium
bro.. the check engine light is not gonna come on if your tranny is slipping... the dealer said that cause they dont want to fix it under warranty.. and i recommend not taking your car there cause they'll do a ****ty job..
usually dealers who have high sells dont hassle about warranty work so find a dealer that looks like they are doiing good...

also, call 800 NISSAN USA and report your tranny problem and they will tell you whether you are covered under warranty or not..
and then tell them that the dealer you reported to refused to do the work..

get that thing fixed before warranty ends..

Hey man i wanted to thank you i called nissan the other day and well they investigated and that **** head got fired Never the less i am not taking it back to that dealership i took it to another one and without even opening the hood the guy pulls up a bulliten and tells me he will order the part he knows Excaly what it is and they will install it this saturday WOOHOO he said it is a commen prob and there is a Bulliten about it its a Shifter Sylinoid or something like that but i am glad its getting taken care of befor warranty runs out hehe once again thanx that guy was retarded and had other complaints and the Actular Owner Of that dealership calld me and said he has Resolved the issue and i told him sorry but that ruend my experience at your dealership ohh well LOL
Old 06-10-2004, 04:27 AM

Slips

Is there a white/black way to tell if you have this problem. Hell, I can't tell whether my trans is slipping or not, the shifts are rediculously soft and slow, but my car has never hung up on redline like was previously posted.

Also, I have noticed about once a week, when I put it in reverse, it seems to sit there and not pull. I put it back in park and then back to reverse and it's fine. Is this an indicator or the same problem??

Also, and most importantly, I have a 2002. Are there any "slippage" issues with the '02 or is it just the 00 and 01??

Curious.......
Old 06-10-2004, 01:02 PM

How much does one of those sylinoids cost I have the same shift delay problem.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:50 PM
scopium

Originally Posted by SC02Max
Is there a white/black way to tell if you have this problem. Hell, I can't tell whether my trans is slipping or not, the shifts are rediculously soft and slow, but my car has never hung up on redline like was previously posted.

Also, I have noticed about once a week, when I put it in reverse, it seems to sit there and not pull. I put it back in park and then back to reverse and it's fine. Is this an indicator or the same problem??

Also, and most importantly, I have a 2002. Are there any "slippage" issues with the '02 or is it just the 00 and 01??

Curious.......
the slippage issue is mostly for all autos..

the main way you can tell whether you are having this problem is when you are cruising and when you floor it ...the RPM and speed ration is very bad...
meaning your RPM are increasing very fast but your speed is not moving...
its pretty ofbvious...

an even worse case where you can really tell your tranny is going out. is where you are accelerating from a stop and you notice the your gears "slam" from first to second and hesitate from 3rd to 4th...

also if you are sitting in park and put it in drive and it take about 1 sec to get into gear...

these are just a few signs that tell your tranny is going out... and are very noticible... if you cant notice them .. they you probably dont have em...

a way to prevent the tranny failure is to not floor the car all the time... dont power torque too much.. or not use too much O/D... or your manual 1st and 2nd gears...

maximas in general have a relative weak trannies (auto)... so you got to becareful how you treat them

Old 06-10-2004, 01:52 PM
scopium

Originally Posted by JayMax2000
How much does one of those sylinoids cost I have the same shift delay problem.

if you're gonna buy the selnoids.. you could buy the stock ones..
but if you're asking this questions i'm assuming that your warranty has ended...

sooo... you might as well just buy some better aftermarket ones...
i think they run around 100 bucks.. i'm assuming.. wouldnt be supprised if it ended up to be high 100s