5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trade for a Jeep Wrangler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 03:04 PM

Trade for a Jeep Wrangler?

Here's the situation; I think I've found a fun vehicle that won't get me into speeding trouble, but would still be fun to drive and cool to own. That vehicle is the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Why not the Rubicon or regular size Wranglers? I have a wife and 18 month old child I tote around when we take a leisurely drive on the weekends and when we're not riding in the family car which is her Explorer. I have a 25 mile one way commute to my office which includes Interstate driving if I'm late for work, otherwise it is through the City with the rest of the rush hour traffic.

My current ride is a fully loaded 2k2 Maxima SE (Nav, Bose, Moon, Leather, etc.) and it's fast in a straight line, but otherwise boring and has a distinct lack of "character" as motor vehicles go due to it's being so competent as a "Q-Ship" (great for speeding obscurely). My wife scoffed at the idea because I "wouldn't want to drive that Jeep after having all those luxury features" in my Maxima. Whatever. I could care less about those "luxury" features. Fun to drive and own are more important to me. I've had the mighty Max for two years now and I can't see myself owning for another three years until it's paid off or even a few years beyond that. However, I could see myself keeping the Jeep for at least five years and probably turning it into something more aggressive/specialized after that.

How much fun can a Wrangler be? My plan would be to put some 33-inch tires on and maybe a 2-inch lift kit on it along with a light bar. I think it would be a blast to have one with the top down in the Spring/Summer/Fall. In the Winter, I'd put on the hard top. Also, my brother-in-law gets into some off-road scavenger hunts a few times a year that we could use the Wrangler for, so I wouldn't waste it's off-road capabilities. How reliable are they and how much value do they lose over three or four years? What are some of the benefits of owning my Max that I'm failing to account for?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:37 PM

I'm in a similar situation as you and just dumped my 2k GLE for a 2004 Durango Limited. Most people here are going to bash the jeep and support you keeping/upgrading the Max - it's the nature of asking a question like this on a Maxima forum.

My experience with the new Durango has been very surprising. It's much quieter inside than my Maxima was, accelerates very well (Hemi - 345 hp), and rides much smoother. It also has gobs of interior room, and the 5-speed automatic is amazing. I suppose some of the qualities in my vehicle are probably in common with the one you're considering.

That said, it's really apples and oranges. You're looking at two completely different classes of vehicle. Good luck!

By the way...as crazy as this sounds, the new Durango feels faster than my 2k Maxima did. It pulls to 100 fast without running out of breath. I'm sure the 3.5 in the newer Maximas is faster though.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:41 PM

there is a HUGE difference between a wrangler and a new durango.

that said - drive what you like. good plan on the lift and tires. otherwise it's pretty much just a lesbian truck.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ihavea5spd
there is a HUGE difference between a wrangler and a new durango.
I understand that they are not the same vehicle. I was only trying to let the OP know that Chrysler products have come a LONG way in a short period of time (in my opinion).

On more relevant note, I have a friend that has a newer Wrangler, and absolutely loves it. It's nothing like a Maxima, but that does not make it bad.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:57 PM

LegalNinja,

Our situations are similar, though I own a 02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. In fact, I have a 04 Jeep Rubicon on order. It's my wife's primary vehicle because she has a thing for Jeep's. I must say, I also love it for what it is. The following is my personal opinion regarding Wrangler's:

The good:
1. They're a blast; top down, top up, bikini top on, hard top on, you get the picture.
2. Unsurpassed off road capabilities, if you indeed use it for that.
3. Commanding view.
4. There's no better feeling than driving around with no hard/soft top. It's wide open...
5. Lack of features is not a big deal. I personally do not care because it's a Jeep.
6. The availability of upgrades and changes for Wrangler's are staggering.

The bad:
1. Terrible on long trips. The longest one we were on (5 hours), I thought my arms would fall off. There's no arm rest on the door.
2. Loud even with the hard top on.
3. Lots of brake fading (another reason why I bought the Rubi, it has rear disk brakes)
4. When it's hot outside and A/C blasting, a 4.0 engine with 5 speed can feel power deprived.
5. Lack of space (except for the limited)
6. Lack of foot room and seating is a tad bit cramped.

I think that's it for the most part. Unless you have a second vehicle, a Jeep Wrangler is not a well rounded choice. Resale values are great! I paid $23 for the Sahara and almost 3 years later, I can get $15 trade or $17.5 private. I can't say that about my Maxima. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2004, 04:30 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Don't get a Jeep. My brother just sold his Jeep because it was giving him way too many problems including replacing his short block.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Me personally, I' wouldn't buy a wrangler unless I was a high school kid trying to impress the girls . I think Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD overland is a MUCH better choice. Not only it's a great offroader but also, it looks very nice. Go for it.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:44 PM
CJ7

I love my Maxima for all the reason that everyone else does, power, style, comfort, etc... I also own a 1979 CJ7 that my wife wanted for a DD. She had never driven one and I told he all about the way they drive, gas mileage, wind noise, and everything else. She still wanted it and loves to drive it every day.

Nothing is better then taking a drive to the mountains in the Jeep and hitting a few trails for the day and having manifolds borittos while hearing nothing but birds. Check out Jeepsunlimited.com they have a TJ forum you can ask questions in and the best thing is that you can search for anything.

If you get a TJ get the Dana 44 rear and please stay away from the I4 engine. Just remember: Jeep= Just Empty Every Pocket.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:07 PM

I love my max, but if i wanted offroad capability, id definetly get a wrangler, and a few extra engines for it too. theres 3 wranglers in my group of friends, and not one of them is still on their origional engine, and not one of them had over 120k miles on it. but engine issues aside, it looks like a friggin BLAST to drive especially with the 4.0 and big fat tires
Old 06-06-2004, 06:21 PM

The Wrangler Unlimited comes with the Dana 44 rear, the I6, 4 wheel disc brakes, and an automatic transmission. It also has more "cargo volume" than the Max (29 vs 15 cu. ft). It would be my DD and four-wheeled "fun-mobile"; my wife's '03 Explorer 4x4 is our family vehicle on the weekends and long trips. When the weather is above 45 degrees and dry I ride my motorcycle (Ninja ZX6R) to work or on any errands that don't require the space of a car, so the lack of power and road/wind noise of the Wrangler wouldn't bother me. On the contrary, that's what I like. Even when it's hot outside (80+) I'm the one person who would rather roll all of the windows down than turn on the AC and isolate myself from the outside.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:40 PM

We have the 2k2 max and a 2k3 Jeep Liberty (KJ). I personally think the wrangler is too much $$$ for what you get. I would go pre-owned if I were you...

Cruise over to http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/index.php for some good info!!!

ARFF
Old 06-06-2004, 06:42 PM
LithiuMax

Worst idea ever.

Old 06-06-2004, 08:05 PM

if you plan on doing some off-roading, i don't think you can go wrong with a wrangler, esp with what you have in mind with tires/lift are concerned. one of my coworkers is a hardcore offroad wrangler driver, and he told me there's a supercharger kit for it, so watch out. i kinda feel the same way about the wrangler's fun factor. i already have a sport motorcycle, so i don't need crazy speed from the car anymore. but the wrangler would be handy for attaching a trailer to tow the bike.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:22 PM
meh

Originally Posted by Craig2kGLE
..........2004 Durango Limited....
why did they hafta make is so ugly?

wrangler would be the only jeep I would own now....or maybe a 98 GC 5.9Limited.

Back to topic, it sounds like it would work for what you use it for, as long as you don't think you'll miss all the features your Max has.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The wife's ride is a Wrangler Sport 5 speed soft top. I agree with the others on the personal preference issue. The gearing in the jeep kinda bothers me. I know why it's geared this way but I can't stand having to get out of first so early. We also don't seem to get outstanding gas mileage either. I don't drive it that often but I would guess she gets about 290-3?? a tank. I would also hesistate to place such a young child in a vehicle with out a true roof. I have seen too many nasty rollovers with those things and it doesn't take much to shatter a fiberglass hardtop. We currently have no kids so she got the Jeep now cuz she's always wanted one. It will be traded when she gets pregnant. (if I get lucky soon, maybe I'll sell ya mine ) On the plus side you can't beat that thing off road and in the snow. I think Jeep is still doing the transferrable powertrain warranty too.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:28 AM
CJ7

it doesn't take much to shatter a fiberglass hardtop
If you look reaallll close I bet you would find a "roll bar" in your wifes TJ that holds up pretty good should you ever need it. It goes from the windshield to the back seat and if you are worried about putting a kid in a Jeep they have a front brace that goes into the dash to help stiffen up the roll bar. You can also extend the bars back to the rear of the Jeep to create a "family cage".

They do have a SC kit for the I6 and they also have a 4.7l stroker kit for it also.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:39 PM
I Miss My Maxima

I work in the service dept. of a Jeep dealer so I love that someone's talking about Jeeps!

Jeep's bringing out the Rubicon version of the Unlimited as an 05 model with a 5-speed option and front/rear lockers. After that all Unlimites will be avail. with the 5speed.

I see Jeeps rolled over on a regular basis, they hold up pretty darn well.

FYI -- All Wranglers (since 03) come standard with 4wheel disc brakes.

FYI #2: Most Wrangler owners do not perform correct maintenance: oil every 3k, air filter every 15k (6k if offroad use) front and rear diff service every 12k miles, t-case and trans service at 30k, coolant flush at 30k, plugs every 30k.

Well cared for the 4.0 is indestructible or nearly so -- I see plenty of them in old Cherokees with 200k+ on the original engine/trans. It's pushrod, iron block, iron head...the only way you're going to nerf it is if you abuse it or don't treat it well.

One last advantage...

Wrangler Sport in 2000. Cost you about 18-22k.
Retail now for a clean '200 Sport with the common options and decent mileage is around 15k.

Maxima in 2000...you do the depreciation numbers yourself.

It's pretty dang hard to get upside-down in a Wrangler. Better yet, it's possible to build equity in a hurry, and there's NEVER a shortage of buyers.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:41 PM

We cant convince you to like something that you have so so feelings for, do what you feel is best( we will say something to rebut it and you come back saying why you dont want the Max etc). Personally no way in h*ll would I do that, Maxima have alot of character for hwat they are and that all went up a notch in 02.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CJ7
If you look reaallll close I bet you would find a "roll bar" in your wifes TJ that holds up pretty good should you ever need it. It goes from the windshield to the back seat and if you are worried about putting a kid in a Jeep they have a front brace that goes into the dash to help stiffen up the roll bar. You can also extend the bars back to the rear of the Jeep to create a "family cage".

They do have a SC kit for the I6 and they also have a 4.7l stroker kit for it also.
Wow, There is a "Roll Bar" in there I can't believe I never saw it defore Thanks for the heads up. Anyway. I'm not sure whether this is what you mean by a "family cage" but her TJ is an 01 so the Cage already goes back to the rear and the down. The kid issue was just my .02 cents though and I appreciate you being so receptive to others opinions.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:15 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

I'm an owner of an '04 Grand Cherokee Special Edition, almost 9K on the odo, so far so good

I still have my '98 Max SE, over 106K, absolutely delighted w/ it

for me I have the best of both worlds, a Maxima and a Jeep, but I'm paying for the Jeep, my Max was originally my brother's, was once mine in '02, my brother took it again late '02 thru spring '04 b/c his Passat was a p.o.s., then gave the Max back to me in spring '04
Old 07-08-2004, 09:40 AM

Get a Jeep!

I USED to have a 97 TJ Wrangler. It had 5.5" suspension lift, 33" BFG Muddies, etc, etc. I sold it to get my 97 Maxima. Totaled that and now have a 2001 Maxima. Now, I'm in the process of getting another 97 TJ as a "trail-only" vehicle since I miss 4-wheeling so much and keep the Maxima as a daily driver. Plus, the Jeep would be able to tow my bike around. If you need info on Jeep products, etc. let me know. www.Quadratec.com is a great place to start. Order their FREE catalog, the wife will love that coming every month! Let me know if you need more pictures too.

Can you do this in a Maxima?

Tellico ORV area
Muprhy, NC

FYI - You'll need at least a 3" lift to run 33" tires properly. You can do a body lift for under $150 or do it right and go all suspension. GD, I love talking about Jeeps.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:44 AM

I have first hand experience with your situation. A year ago I got my 2K max, but for the 2 years prior I had a wrangler. I had lift, tires, gears, both tops, lights, the whole 9 yards. I can easily say that Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. I had 33's and they were very loud, which was fine for me, but many passengers complained. Top speed was about 70mph, and a wind shift on the HWY had me swapping lanes against my will. Fuel economy was a joke, I got about half of what I get with my max and I drive the Max muxh more agressive. The Unlimiteds are ugly in my book and I don't feel they are a true Jeep. The wheelbase is extended and the offroad ability went into the crapper. I would love a rubicon, put on a 4" suspension lift, belly up, armor, winch, roll cage and have a blast with it. It would be a "toy" though. A jeep is fine for a high school kid (myself at the time), but any traveling or economy is nonexistent. I miss my jeep soo much, but I do not IN ANY WAY regret getting my max.

PS.. after reading the other posts about engines.. I had the 4.0 and had to replace it.. I threw a rod and the block and head were both trashed. I am a maintenence freak and changed the oil every 3K, flushed coolant yearly, Had all new belts, hoses, plugs, wires, air filter, all fluids taken car of. I was always fixing something on the Jeep. Just get a ruby or get nothing in Jeep. Also I heard they were coming out with a diesel version of the wrangler. I would be the first buyer of a ruby with a diesel (in the 2nd model year though so they can work out some bugs..)
Old 07-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Cletus

ill be another of the few that support you!!! i think about trading my max in for a wrangler EVERY time i see someone drive by with the doors off and leg hanging out. i had a 94 before the max and miss her everyday.
for the people that said it will cause problem - that will only happen if you go off roading alot. thats not really the jeeps fault. i had to replace both driveshafts and rebuild the front end BUT i also beat the **** out of it at the trails so it was expected. a wrangler is bulletproof. you can roll it and only get a few scratches.
and for the person that said only highschool kids get jeeps to impress the girls - only a highschool kid would get it for that reason. an adult gets it because he knows that it is the best offroading vehicle EVER made. but trust me, if you roll up in your max and i roll up in a jeep that is lifted with huge tires, i have $5,000 that more girls are lookin at the jeep.

ok im leaving now to go trade my max in for a jeep

my one and only true love......i miss her soooo much

Old 07-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Cletus

btw, here is a pic that shows the roll bar. if you are buckled in and roll you wont even get a scratch

Old 07-08-2004, 12:51 PM

Went with him a couple of times and it was pretty damn fun. It was pretty cool when we would drive up to a boulder and say, "I think I'm going to drive over that." Just make sure you do it right and don't put any dumb stuff on it. GaMax97GLE will hook you up with everything and more you need to know about Jeeps.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by UGAd13

Went with him a couple of times and it was pretty damn fun. It was pretty cool when we would drive up to a boulder and say, "I think I'm going to drive over that." Just make sure you do it right and don't put any dumb stuff on it. GaMax97GLE will hook you up with everything and more you need to know about Jeeps.
WTF would you wanna do that type of **** anyways? 1 more time

Andrei
Old 07-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Cletus

why would you not wanna do that?????
some people like to drive fast....anyone can do that!!!
and some people like to DRIVE OVER ****!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo98

Andrei
Back at cha. I guess you've never been trailing then. When you're riding in a big a$$ Jeep through the woods crawling over fallen trees, rocks and driving through rivers, it's pretty damn fun. I guess it's a Southern thing. Thanks soonerfan for getting my back. Git R Done!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Craig2kGLE
I'm in a similar situation as you and just dumped my 2k GLE for a 2004 Durango Limited. Most people here are going to bash the jeep and support you keeping/upgrading the Max - it's the nature of asking a question like this on a Maxima forum.

My experience with the new Durango has been very surprising. It's much quieter inside than my Maxima was, accelerates very well (Hemi - 345 hp), and rides much smoother. It also has gobs of interior room, and the 5-speed automatic is amazing. I suppose some of the qualities in my vehicle are probably in common with the one you're considering.

That said, it's really apples and oranges. You're looking at two completely different classes of vehicle. Good luck!

By the way...as crazy as this sounds, the new Durango feels faster than my 2k Maxima did. It pulls to 100 fast without running out of breath. I'm sure the 3.5 in the newer Maximas is faster though.
Why didn't you buy an Armada!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:55 AM
Cletus

Back at cha. I guess you've never been trailing then. When you're riding in a big a$$ Jeep through the woods crawling over fallen trees, rocks and driving through rivers, it's pretty damn fun. I guess it's a Southern thing. Thanks soonerfan for getting my back. Git R Done!
UGAd13
i think it is a southern thing. or at least a "country" thing. people that like the outdoors.
there is NO better feeling that being out in the middle of no where enjoying nature (and counquering it)
and since my pics arent showing up, here they are
http://www.geocities.com/jeepwrangle...SJEEPPAGE.html
Old 07-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by montyz81
Why didn't you buy an Armada!
ummm because he wanted a durango. why didnt you buy a camry?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo98

Andrei
Yeah, it takes a lot of skill to take your fat foot and slam it on the gas to go fast in a straight line. Try navigating a Jeep through obstacles without rolling it over or killing yourself...a little harder and a lot more fun.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by GaMax97GLE
Yeah, it takes a lot of skill to take your fat foot and slam it on the gas to go fast in a straight line. Try navigating a Jeep through obstacles without rolling it over or killing yourself...a little harder and a lot more fun.

exactly what i said before
"some people like to drive fast....anyone can do that!!! and some people like to DRIVE OVER ****!!!"

driving a jeep on a trail takes ALOT more skill, knowledge, etc then driving a car for 1/4 of a mile. what do you have to do? floor it and keep the steering wheel straight. my eight year old can do that
Old 07-09-2004, 08:03 AM
is invisible

The Jeep has incredible resale value, but I canimagine the the trek to work getting old quick especially after you raise it; not exactly the best freeway ride.

Still, sometimes I really miss my '83 CJ-7.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:14 AM

Jeep? thats kinda IMO.....
Old 07-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Kiosk
yes a big manly jeep that can drive over anything is gay
Old 07-09-2004, 09:28 AM

Coming from FL, you should know about j/k... or am I?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:36 AM

And your FL jean shorts, socks & sandals, and gold chains aren't gay?

Come on...a big, lifted muddy Jeep running over boulders and fallen trees is gay...what's wrong with you people?

And I swear to God...no one here better say "Different strokes..."
Old 07-09-2004, 09:47 AM

Good luck on your choice. I personally would suggest a 2000-2001 Cherokee Classic or Sport with the 4.0/AW4 as a little more refined option.

Just replaced my 94 Dakota with a 98 Cherokee classic and LOVE IT!

Good luck on your choice!

Oh yeah... the only diesel I know of in the Jeep line is the Liberty (KJ) which has a direct injection Mercedees TD. Yummy.....
Old 07-09-2004, 09:50 AM

Coming from FL, you should know about j/k... or am I?
Whoa!! did u just come out....., UG? (ref. ...or am I) j/k!!

Anyhooo, I personally see no appeal with any Chrysler SUV/4x4 product. (Including MB M-class and G-class.) I'd dump my Maxima for an MDX or Pathfinder Armada but not a Jeep. (I'd even consider a 3G Explorer or Envoy.) But, that's just me.

Quick Reply: Trade for a Jeep Wrangler?