5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What Kind of Tires & Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 08:20 AM

What Kind of Tires & Rims

Hey All,

its time to replace my original tires I would like to go bigger
and get the car lowered a little.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what tires I should get ? I would also like to get new rims dont know what kind. How much should I lower my car without changing the handling too much ?

What is the biggest I should get ? what about the style ? Would black be corny ? Help a girl out so I dont get the wrong thing.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by LovelyPearl
Hey All,

its time to replace my original tires I would like to go bigger
and get the car lowered a little.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what tires I should get ? I would also like to get new rims dont know what kind. How much should I lower my car without changing the handling too much ?

What is the biggest I should get ? what about the style ? Would black be corny ? Help a girl out so I dont get the wrong thing.

Thanks

Pearl White is a beautiful color, it's the color I got too.
I don't know if I'd go with black wheels, but I love the titanium colored aftermarket ones, they look great on a white car. Forget chrome.

I also wouldn't go any larger than a plus one size. Meaning 18" on the Max.
Anything larger and you are going to take too much away from the dynamics of the car. Plus it looks way to ghetto.

As for tires, go to http://www.tirerack.com
Figure out what you want for the car (maximum handling, sport touring, comfort, wet traction, the quietest tire, etc.)
They extensively test every tire and owners of particular tires can rate them in about 8 different categories.

I'm not a big fan of lowering cars. The Maxima isn't the best handling car to be sure, so lowering it a bit might help lower the center of gravity, but at the expense of ride quality too.
I wouldn't go any lower than an inch, and even a half or three-quarters of an inch might be best. It'll give it a slightly more aggressive look, but not look like those foolish ricer cars whose owners have to go at an angle and practically crawl over a speed bump.

Also, when picking new wheels, pay attention to weight. If you go to 18" wheels from the stock 17" try to find a nice set that you like, but weigh no more than the weight of the stock 17" wheels. This way you won't hurt (ie: slow down) your acceleration, hurt you braking distances, and put unneeded and extra stress on MANY parts of your car. If you can find 18" that's lighter than the stock 17" wheels, you'll improve nearly every aspect of the car's performance.

Have fun looking and good luck
Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Driver72
Pearl White is a beautiful color, it's the color I got too.
I don't know if I'd go with black wheels, but I love the titanium colored aftermarket ones, they look great on a white car. Forget chrome.

I also wouldn't go any larger than a plus one size. Meaning 18" on the Max.
Anything larger and you are going to take too much away from the dynamics of the car. Plus it looks way to ghetto.

As for tires, go to http://www.tirerack.com
Figure out what you want for the car (maximum handling, sport touring, comfort, wet traction, the quietest tire, etc.)
They extensively test every tire and owners of particular tires can rate them in about 8 different categories.

I'm not a big fan of lowering cars. The Maxima isn't the best handling car to be sure, so lowering it a bit might help lower the center of gravity, but at the expense of ride quality too.
I wouldn't go any lower than an inch, and even a half or three-quarters of an inch might be best. It'll give it a slightly more aggressive look, but not look like those foolish ricer cars whose owners have to go at an angle and practically crawl over a speed bump.

Also, when picking new wheels, pay attention to weight. If you go to 18" wheels from the stock 17" try to find a nice set that you like, but weigh no more than the weight of the stock 17" wheels. This way you won't hurt (ie: slow down) your acceleration, hurt you braking distances, and put unneeded and extra stress on MANY parts of your car. If you can find 18" that's lighter than the stock 17" wheels, you'll improve nearly every aspect of the car's performance.

Have fun looking and good luck

Thanks alot !!