5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

interior scratches...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 03:00 PM
Ignardmax

Does anyone have an excessive amount of scratches on the inside of the max..the area in question is where you roll up/down the windows and unlock the doors. I have a super black max with black leather interior and this "scratched" area is grey. The scratches appear on both driver and passenger sides, mainly the drivers side. Maybe its just my rig but when people get in my car that's one of the first things they notice, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also how can I cover or repaint this area?
Later

Old 03-28-2001, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Ignardmax
Does anyone have an excessive amount of scratches on the inside of the max..the area in question is where you roll up/down the windows and unlock the doors. I have a super black max with black leather interior and this "scratched" area is grey. The scratches appear on both driver and passenger sides, mainly the drivers side. Maybe its just my rig but when people get in my car that's one of the first things they notice, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Later

The only scratches I've had are by the speaker grille on the door. I seem to hit it on the way out all the time. There's scuff marks all over the door. Kinda weird, huh? Maybe it's cuz I'm always rushing.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Door armrest scratches.

Yes, I've got a SuperBlack w/ black leather interior also. I've had the car since June '99 and have noticed the same thing. The manufacturers must have used a crappy overlay material on the plastic, door (window/lock) control armrests. It totally sux, since it's the only noticeable blemish I've got inside the car (driver side), since I normally drive alone, I notice it much more. It is also increasing in number and severity, guess it's wearing thin now. They should've used covers that were molded in the same solid color throughout, that way there'd be no need to coat them in that cheapo crap. In a car that's all leather, you'd think they'd go the extra mile, and use something that's durable. I mean, they've been building cars for how long? Exactly. Anyway, thanx for lettin me vent, I'm **** like that with looks and cleanliness. Maybe they'll come out with some sweet chrome covers eventually, or else I'll just get em redone. I hear you can chrome plastic parts now, if I decide against paintin em.

Later,
Rich
Old 03-28-2001, 06:50 PM

Later
I'm not sure of what area ur talkin about now, can u post a pics or something?
Old 03-28-2001, 06:54 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. My dealer said he would replace the scratched up switchplates, but said he would only do it once. I decided to install aftermarket trim instead.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:58 PM

Does anyone have an excessive amount of scratches on the inside of the max..
Later
Yes, my bro I'm too a black on black owner experiencing the same problem. What is funny is that it is only on the passenger side, I guess my girlfriend with purses, nails, and anything possible. Hey, Haulinmax, it is the part where the window controls are located, the little armrest, also where Y2Kevse has the nissan logos, if that helps..
Old 03-28-2001, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by 2kmaxse

Yes, my bro I'm too a black on black owner experiencing the same problem. What is funny is that it is only on the passenger side, I guess my girlfriend with purses, nails, and anything possible. Hey, Haulinmax, it is the part where the window controls are located, the little armrest, also where Y2Kevse has the nissan logos, if that helps..
Thanks, that helps, but what is actually happening? My car is still young and I want to protect it if I can?
Old 03-28-2001, 07:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good luck tryin to protect it. It's just a thin coat of material for appearance, so everything matches inside. It can be removed VERY easily with your fingernail. I've used Mother's Products religiously, but to no avail. I'm also very careful and don't wear anything to damage the interior or leather seating.
Old 03-29-2001, 03:42 AM

I posted something about this a few months ago

The interior of the 5th Gen is very fragile! All of the soft-touch plastic scratches very easily. And the gray material where the window lifts/power locks/ door pull is located is INCREDIBLY easy to scratch! I was with a friend of mine and he was looking at a RAV4 that had somewhat the same material in it's interior...and that stuff would not scratch off in that Toyota!! I remember one person posting something in the past that his dealer replaced all of his switch plates...I might have to do that eventually (only the 2 front ones are bad).

The interior of my 4th Gen held up much better.
Old 03-29-2001, 03:20 PM
Ignardmax

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one because it makes the tight inside look a little crappy, now we need a was to fix it...

Old 03-29-2001, 04:48 PM

New Trim Piece ordered

I just ordered the new trim piece from Nissan for $43. I thought that maybe I caused the scraches by having my keys in my hand even when I am very careful. I guess these scratches will return in about a year.
Old 04-07-2001, 12:10 PM

New Trim Piece Installed

I installed the new switch trim piece today. The interior looks great again. It took all of 5 minutes to remove the old trim piece and install the new one. The piese was very easy to install.
The trim piece is called: Finisher-Power
The Part Number is: 80961-3Y210
The cost was: $43.61
Old 04-09-2001, 09:59 AM
Ignardmax

cool

I have to order the piece because minds is looking like crap right about now, thanks for the info.

Old 04-09-2001, 11:26 AM

Seatbelt buckle....

I've noticed that the pillar where the driver's side seatbelt rolls up has all sorts of little nicks taken out of it. I think when I release my seatbelt it rolls up and the buckle hits the plastic pillar. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-09-2001, 04:26 PM

Re: Seatbelt buckle....

Originally posted by fatboyp
I've noticed that the pillar where the driver's side seatbelt rolls up has all sorts of little nicks taken out of it. I think when I release my seatbelt it rolls up and the buckle hits the plastic pillar. Does anyone else have this problem?
I definitely have this problem - it looks like crap. I totally hate it. I guess I should have been more careful.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:22 AM

I'm definitely accumulating some scratches on the lower door/speaker panel. It just always gets contact whenever I try to get out of the Max.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Seatbelt buckle....

I had this problem
just stick on a nice joshua tree aluminum kit
Old 04-10-2001, 10:11 AM

I had my switchplate replaced under warranty at about 10,000 miles. It only got scratched on the drivers side, and the replacement they put in hasn't shown any signs of wear
Old 04-10-2001, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
I'm definitely accumulating some scratches on the lower door/speaker panel. It just always gets contact whenever I try to get out of the Max.

I have scuff marks here too..have you been able to get rid of them?
Old 04-10-2001, 10:40 AM

Jeff:
The dealer will usually replace them free due to the fact that the interior should be more durable.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:01 PM
gambietti

Re: Seatbelt buckle....

Originally posted by fatboyp
I have the same problem also....I bought my Max used and I noticed the pillar has scratches under the seatbelt to. It looks bad!