5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

need help connecting Pioneer DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 02:57 PM

need help connecting Pioneer DVD player

I just purchased the Pioneer DVH-P500MP and Sony XVA11-W to put in to my 2001 max but i ran into a little problem. On the pioneer deck there is the cut off function for the front video output if the car is not in park u cannot view a dvd. But that only happens if you connect it the way the book wants u too. How it works is there is an extra wire called the HAND BRAKE LEAD this wire must be connected in order to view a DVD so i was thinkin of connecting to the ACC becasue it said to connect it to the + side of the hand brake, but upon connecting to the ACC the dvd still did not work... anyone know where i could possible connect this HAND BRAKE LEAD (+) so that the dvd can be viewed without being in park.

thank you very much
Old 06-13-2004, 03:36 PM

yeah, just do as u were thinking, hook it up to the accessory so it turns on with the car and u can watch dvds as long as the key is in
Old 06-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Cletus

or you could wait until you get home to watch a DVD. you know when you dont have to pay attention to crazy stuff like...driving!
Old 06-13-2004, 03:56 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Krazeeraja
I just purchased the Pioneer DVH-P500MP and Sony XVA11-W to put in to my 2001 max but i ran into a little problem. On the pioneer deck there is the cut off function for the front video output if the car is not in park u cannot view a dvd. But that only happens if you connect it the way the book wants u too. How it works is there is an extra wire called the HAND BRAKE LEAD this wire must be connected in order to view a DVD so i was thinkin of connecting to the ACC becasue it said to connect it to the + side of the hand brake, but upon connecting to the ACC the dvd still did not work... anyone know where i could possible connect this HAND BRAKE LEAD (+) so that the dvd can be viewed without being in park.

thank you very much
for my unit (eclipse) i had to wire it to the ebrake as well, but the (-) side. instead, i just ran my own switch and grounded it. the switch controlled the tv working or not (ya never know if popo is near you, you may want to switch it off). are you sure it's a + wire and not a -? doublecheck.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:06 PM

I double checked the how it was supposed to be hooked up and it says POWER SUPPLY SIDE OF THE HAND BRAKE. I did hook it up to the ACC but it did not work that is why im stuck.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thank you very much

my last h/u was that h/u that u have now....i grounded that wire....try doing that
Old 06-13-2004, 04:48 PM
2-Wheelin it...

I double checked the how it was supposed to be hooked up and it says POWER SUPPLY SIDE OF THE HAND BRAKE. I did hook it up to the ACC but it did not work that is why im stuck.
based on kpazzo's comments, plus my assumption that MOST ebrake handles are ground powered, i'd try grounding anyway.

also, take my advice. if popo rolls up on you while you watching a movie, how quickly can you turn off the unit. with a flip of a switch, my unit turns to "legal mode" and it says "moving vehicle....blah blah blah" and doesn't show the screen. run the wire to a switch, and then ground the switch.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:24 PM

thanks for the help ill give it a try
Old 06-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On my 91 I had the hand brake wire grounded with a switch for my Alpine unit which worked just like PoLo's.