5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Took in water into engine, help~

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 04:02 PM

Took in water into engine, help~

make the long story short,

I drove my car over 1 feet of flood on the street and my car died in the middle. I had friends help me push the car out and had it towed to local Minekie to look it up ( I know someone there), He took off my Injen intake and water start to drip out and I knew it was "hydrolock", He then drained the engine oil and took off the spark plugs. try to to "turn over" the crank manually with a ranch and see if it turns at all (if it turns then he can just pump the water out while its turning).

He was only able to turn about 10 degrees going each directions. He's afraid that the timing of the vavle has is off and perhaps damaged. (aka when cylinder moves up and down the Valves is suppose to open and close, but in this case the Valve maybe opening and not closing) Thus, Timing being thrown off. He used one of those really long microscope things and try to see inside the cylinder wall and he sees some scratches on the walls. The vavles might be damaged too.

So worest case scenerio I have to drop in a new engine.

or I'll have it fixed. The work is going to be more than 1 thousand dollars atleast.

Anyone with similiar problem before? I don't know how I should approach this problem. Is there anyway I can get dealer to fix this under warrenty, since I only have 27K on my car.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:08 PM

Sux man. I feel for you.

Thats def. not under warrantee. One reason I dont like the Ingen is that it is exposed and close to the ground.

I hope you didnt bend any valves or break a Tie rod. Good luck man. Im pullin for ya!
Old 06-14-2004, 04:13 PM

Here's a picture of the flooded area a I "tried" to drive through, and a pic of my car getting towed.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 PM

Any suggestions?? ideas on how you would approach this problem?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:03 PM

That sucks, I don't even know why you drove it through a flood of water especially with an Injen on it. All you can do is probably claim on your insurance to foot the bill otherwise, you'll have to pay the full bill to get back in working order.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by nismotech
Any suggestions?? ideas on how you would approach this problem?
Cause u had the injen it will prboy wont be covered. But you might be able to use your car insurance, check your policy for flood damage details, its probable the deductible is going to be a lot less than total engine replacement.

It could be just your timing chain that broke or either slipped....dont let everyone just assume the engine is totally blown because of what u did, people will tend to freak and assume its all over. fine scratches are normal on cylinder walls (as long as they arent grooves)
the engine might not be turning because if the chain is broken then the cams aint moving and neither are the valves, but doesnt necesarily mean everything is all busted up.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:36 PM

okay, I'll ask the obvious question-why did you try to ford a lake?! I feel really bad that it happened, though. I just wonder why u didn't just about-face and find another route, or use a canoe...
Old 06-14-2004, 05:55 PM

A lot of you wonder why i drove over the flooded area,

I'll just put it in couple short lines:

-I forgot I have a "CAI"
-I thought if a convertible Chrysler Sebring can make it, i can make it.
-I drive a Maxima, makes me feel on top of the world.
-I want to see what my Max can do
-Biggest reason of all............................................... ....................

STUPIDITY!!

However, I already feel like a fool (Been in a SAD mood since damaging my car).......I hope I can just get some mental support and solutions to get my car back on the street. Let's just say I learned my lesson the hard way.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

GOD THAT IS HORRIBLE..

I am so very sorry to hear that.. Yesterday there was a freak rainstorm in toronto, and I was thinking, what would happen if i had a CAI.. i think i woudl have been screwed!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:05 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

that sux, man .. last month here in Metro Detroit we had similar floods and it was just as bad

keep us posted on how everything goes w/ the engine
Old 06-14-2004, 06:07 PM
† ErV †

Let it dry, reoil and give it a try :\ If it starts, well, you just might be safe. If it's locked, it shouldn't start/turn.

Thing is when you see one truck backing away from the pond, and another with 12" of ground clearance forging through, wtf are you doing going in there. It was a lake in the middle of an otherwise dry landscape. owned

Old 06-14-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
Let it dry, reoil and give it a try :\ If it starts, well, you just might be safe. If it's locked, it shouldn't start/turn.

Thing is when you see one truck backing away from the pond, and another with 12" of ground clearance forging through, wtf are you doing going in there. It was a lake in the middle of an otherwise dry landscape. owned

I took this picture AFTER I push the car out of the "pond" , I had No idea it was that deep in the beggining...
Old 06-14-2004, 06:16 PM

condolenses. Now let's talk about fixing it...or getting someone to foot the bill

options:

1. Swap the injen for a stock intake and take it in after the water must have dried out. Make no mention you attempted to ford grand rapids. Complain about how ishhy nissans are. Offer to foot half the cost of the motor at the very least. Do that as your personal punishment.

2. Swap the injen for a stocker. Take it in and tell them it rained and after that, it didnt start. Offer no other explanations. HOWEVER, once they diagnose it down to the motor, and they realise they are going to have to replace under warranty, offer to foot half the cost of the motor as a goodwill gesture. Again, do that as your personal punishment.

3. Car-part.com Buy a replacement motor and take a weekend off to swap it in. Make no mention to your dealer because it will not be covered under your existing warranty and would most likely void it. Rebuild the shot motor as a performance alternative/ spare over the next couple of years during your free time, possibly as a project.

Good luck with whatever you do, mark it up as experience and know that the max can't float...injen or no injen.
I offer the above not as a counsel, nor as something I would do, but simply as solutions possible looking in from outside the box. Whichever way it goes, keep your head up
Old 06-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Wat

Im surprised ur injen managed to take on any water. Youd have to be in over 1ft to do that, being that the water level has to go over the the top of the filter for it to suck any up.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:38 PM

I had similar incident but I know better not to drive into the that flooded area even tho it'll be longer drive I took the other direction. but I'm very sorry that happen to u......I know how that feels, cuz I felt the sameway when I found out my tranny went out for sure......g'luck. btw keep us updated on the engine.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:18 PM

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens to my engine later on.

P.S. I'm so stress out I might just go of control and order that SSR Turbo Kit! along with NISMO Cams since someone is going to be working on my engine later on. You know that feeling when people get so crazy they would do anything.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Mauja He Mauja

you need a freakin boat...get a hitch installed and drive around with your boat. use as needed!!

that sucks dude..sorry..
Old 06-14-2004, 07:47 PM

There are puddles, or lakes in the road rather, like that near me sometimes in MA and I have PR CAI which is in same spot as Injen and I just put in a bypass valve so I don't ever have to worry about sucking up water and i haven't had a problem yet even when traveling through deep water at normal speeds.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't understand how you can "forget" that you have a CAI?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:45 AM

I'd remove all the plugs AND the serpentine belt. Take a shop vac to the holes where the spark plugs used to reside, and try to remove any water still in the cylinders. Spray WD40 into the spark plug holes to lube them up after you dry them out. Try turning it over by hand after that, and see what happens.

You might get lucky. Worse case scenario is the timing belts broke or slipped and your motor is toast.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kruppa
I have PR CAI which is in same spot as Injen .
then you installed your pr cai wrong.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:59 AM

There are puddles, or lakes in the road rather, like that near me sometimes in MA and I have PR CAI which is in same spot as Injen and I just put in a bypass valve so I don't ever have to worry about sucking up water and i haven't had a problem yet even when traveling through deep water at normal speeds.
i actually went into a pretty crappy flood with my max one time..... there was a dip on storrow drive in MA. and it will filled about 1 feet, i just went through it. I didnt even see it at all... i had the frankencar on it, so I guess i lucked out.

Sorry to hear man. Hope you can avoid having the engine replaced.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:24 AM

I live in the same area, I know what you're talking about. Freaking NE weather!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Okay, first of all.. you gonna feel worst by reading these forums.. LOL. Because its natural for someone to call you "crazy" after pulling this act.
Second, don't sweat it bro, we all do crazy dumb things sometimes and smack our forehead and cry about it later on.
Bottom line is we gotta pay $$$ for our mistakes which will make us learn from it. So if you gotta pay a thousand bucks or more to fix that engine then do it.. nothing else you can do to avoid that.

My mistakes were speeding, and I ended up paying more then a thousand dollar to my lawyer to fight for my license.. it was/is on the verge of revocation. LOL. Hopefully I can still beat the system by plea bargaining (HOPEFULLY) lol.

So don't be depressed and sad just because of this.. cheer up and move on with your life dude.

Keep us posted and hope for the best for ur car...

By the way.... your car looks hott , all u need now is a nice drop.. (well engine first)
Old 06-15-2004, 07:03 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'll just say you should never drive thru standing water unless you have a vehicle with good ground clearance and you should test the water before crossing. In a passenger car, don't even think about it even if it only looks to be a few inches deep.

Seeing that the mechanic could only rotate the crank 10 degrees either way, tells me a rod or two is bent. The rods in these cars aren't terribly strong. I've seen pictures of a 4th gen that hydrolocked much the same way. Upon disassembly, a couple of the rods were bent nearly 30 degrees. I'd plan for the worst if I were you which means find a junkyard motor. Your current motor, if hydrolocked, will be of little use because the crank, rods, heads, valves, bearings, timing chain, block, etc have all been taxed severely.

If you have full insurance coverage, I suggest calling the insurance and asking them if they cover hydrolocked motors. If they say yes, then put the stock intake back on. I'm doubting they'll cover it though.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh man, dont feel bad, stuff like this happens to all of us, best of all you'll be okay, all its gona cost you is money... my worse was getting married , now thats another mess , thats gona cost ya for the rest of ur life, in or out of marriedge, ***** is gona get ur house take ur money... **** she aint taking my max good luck man..
Old 06-15-2004, 09:18 AM

Man take out that ingen intake and convert back to stock take it to the dealer and play dumb the car is under warrenty
Old 06-15-2004, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nyc2kMax
Man take out that ingen intake and convert back to stock take it to the dealer and play dumb the car is under warrenty
And you think the dealer is going to replace a hydrolocked engine under warrantee? The dealer would fight it even if it were from normal use!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Nyc2kMax
Even if he hydrolocked the motor with the stock intake, Nissan wouldn't cover it. They have a clause in their warranty book about stuff like this. Also, when the motor would have gotten torn down and they see severely bent rods, they would immediately know the culprit........water because it can't be compressed.

Dave
Old 06-15-2004, 04:05 PM

Just to keep you guys updated. My car is still at Minekie at this moment. The Mechanic there just called me and told me. He find out why he couldn't turn the engine more than 10 degrees. I havea Broken "Connecting Rod"! He suggest me to take it to the dealer and have them estimate how much the damage is.

I'll have my car tow to the dealer and contact my insurance company tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:12 PM

damn dood...that looks like a river.

best of luck!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:10 PM
CJ7

If you broke a con rod it's a good beat that you have some lower end damage also. Hope like hell that all you need to do is get the crank polished and a new con rod and bearings. Get all that water out of your engine anyway possiable before it damages the bearings.

Please don't swap the intake and "play dumb" with the dealer. I remember a thread I saw on another site where a guy in a Honda or WRX smoked his motor with NOS, swapped everything back to stock and had it towed to a dealer. Dealer could tell that it had a ton of mods and killed his claim. He was ****ed and was asking if anyone knew of another dealer that he could take his car to so that he didn't have to pay for it. Someone sent a link to his post to the dealership that had his car still and they sent it to all the dealers in the state to let them know that this VIN had a smoked motor and not to cover it because it was modded and he tried to pass it off as a fluke and had no idea how this happend.

Call it a learning experiance.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by CJ7
If you broke a con rod it's a good beat that you have some lower end damage also. Hope like hell that all you need to do is get the crank polished and a new con rod and bearings. Get all that water out of your engine anyway possiable before it damages the bearings.

Please don't swap the intake and "play dumb" with the dealer. I remember a thread I saw on another site where a guy in a Honda or WRX smoked his motor with NOS, swapped everything back to stock and had it towed to a dealer. Dealer could tell that it had a ton of mods and killed his claim. He was ****ed and was asking if anyone knew of another dealer that he could take his car to so that he didn't have to pay for it. Someone sent a link to his post to the dealership that had his car still and they sent it to all the dealers in the state to let them know that this VIN had a smoked motor and not to cover it because it was modded and he tried to pass it off as a fluke and had no idea how this happend.

I'll keep that in mind and I'll probably have insurance take care of it.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:27 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by CJ7
If you broke a con rod it's a good beat that you have some lower end damage also. Hope like hell that all you need to do is get the crank polished and a new con rod and bearings.
It would be cheaper and better if he just got a junkyard motor. It almost never fails that when you get an engine rebuilt, you get a lot of problems because it is very hard to get an engine to seal back up right plus nearly every gasket and bearing you remove has to be replaced and many surfaces have to be cleaned and repolished. This adds significant cost in terms of labor and parts. There are just way too many thing that could go wrong. A junkyard/used motor is basically a "plug and play" deal. I think you can find 3.5VQs for $1200 or less.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
It would be cheaper and better if he just got a junkyard motor. It almost never fails that when you get an engine rebuilt, you get a lot of problems because it is very hard to get an engine to seal back up right plus nearly every gasket and bearing you remove has to be replaced and many surfaces have to be cleaned and repolished. This adds significant cost in terms of labor and parts. There are just way too many thing that could go wrong. A junkyard/used motor is basically a "plug and play" deal. I think you can find 3.5VQs for $1200 or less.

A friend of mine offered me that he found a used engine for 3200 + 2000 labor= 5200 dollars he can fix it, but he actually told me it would be a good idea to have the dealer fix it. Since this is pretty much technical stuff.

I'm going to have my car towed to the dealer from Minekie this afternoon and get a estimate. To see if I should have it rebuilt or put in a new one. I'll keep you guys updated once I get new info.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:24 AM

A friend of mine offered me that he found a used engine for 3200 + 2000 labor= 5200 dollars he can fix it, but he actually told me it would be a good idea to have the dealer fix it. Since this is pretty much technical stuff.

I'm going to have my car towed to the dealer from Minekie this afternoon and get a estimate. To see if I should have it rebuilt or put in a new one. I'll keep you guys updated once I get new info.
Danny call me, check your pm's man.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:35 AM

I'll keep that in mind and I'll probably have insurance take care of it.
If insurance will take care of it, why bother with a used motor? Have them put in a brand new one-assuming the current one is finished.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

DaveB was right on! Hydro locked and yes you need a new motor.
Use your insurance thats what its there for.
Why do some of you think its ok to try and scam a dealer/manufacturer?
No neither of them are perfect but lying and cheating on our part makes us no better, have some pride and integrity!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

That happened because of a few things:
1) That kid (with the wrx) was a complete idiot. He raised the boost w/o any fuel mods. He actually deserved what he got
2) The way he reinstalled all the stock parts was a complete rookie job
3) Some of the scooby members were being ****** and emailed all the Subaru dealers in that guy's area to be on the lookout for his car.

I'd give it a shot. He could have hydrolocked it w/ the stock intake. I've seen it done on a TransAm.

Originally Posted by CJ7

Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 AM

New Updated on my car.

Its in Nissan Dealer right now My insurance agent is going to take a look at my car and because he talked to the service department at the dealer, he is going to take a look at my car this afternoon. Said if its too serious, I might have to total my car.. He will give me a call back later today....I'm so worried.

If insurance decides to total it, I'm going to need to start car shopping agian

Quick Reply: Took in water into engine, help~