5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installing a front fascia with a cracked front bumper cover

Old 06-19-2004, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Installing a front fascia with a cracked front bumper cover

Awhile back I drove over a chunk of debris on the highway. It kinda came out of nowhere, as I was following behind a semi and didn't have time to move out of the way to avoid whatever the heck it was that I ran into. It made a sickening crunching sound at any rate. When I stopped the car and got out to survey the damage, I could see that the lower lip of the front bumper cover was cracked.

I went to a local body shop for a repair estimate, hoping that the crack could somehow be repaired, but it looks as though the entire front bumper cover needs to be replaced instead. It's quite a pricey repair, totalling up to 900 dollars Cdn for the cover and labour fees. After consulting with my insurance company about making a collision claim it's apparent there is no sense in doing so, as my premiums would triple with one claim, so I'm stuck paying for this out of pocket unfortunately.

What I was considering was the possibility of installing an aftermarket lip over top of the cracked portion of the cover. It's contained to the lower segment of the cover, and it appears as though an aftermarket lip would likely cover this up completely. Some searching around the net has me convinced that the aftermarket lip would actually cost a bit less than what the entire bumper cover would, and although I realize this would be a band-aid solution, I think I might just pick up the aftermarket front valence/lip and have it installed over the front cover.

Do you guys think that this is something that I should not even contemplate? Overall prep and installation costs would likely be much less, but I am somewhat concerned about the structural integrity of the main cover if I am to do so. Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Suspension Yoda

sounds like a decent idea.
the lower part of the bumper cover doesnt have much structural integrity...except for the fog lights, it just kinda hangs. it does connect to the plastic guards under the car though. when installing, i'd just use a bit more glue to sort of repair/hold the bumper in place, under the fascia.
good luck!