5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

iPod Users

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

iPod Users

I'm thinking about purchasing either an iPod Mini or a 3G. My question is to those of you that have your iPod connected in the car. How do you have it connected? I found iceLink v1.1 on iPodLounge and was wondering if anyone has tried it? I would like to have it connected to my stock setup (Navi with BOSE), but I'm unsure if it will work or not.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:08 AM

theres a thing that hooks into the ipod and you just tune to that frequency on i forget if its am or fm and it comes in crystal clear.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:11 AM

i have mine connected through the tape adapter, which sounds pretty decent actually...

interesting thing this ilink i like it if i can get it to work that woud be awesome

let me know if you are gonna order it
Old 06-21-2004, 10:30 AM

I've got the iTrip FM transmitter, which works pretty well depending on the strength of the channel and the surrounding area and interference. If you really want to do it right you'd probably have to get an aftermarket HU with an aux. input to get really clear sound.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/
Old 06-21-2004, 11:38 AM

I called Dension USA and they said that if you have a remote changer (trunk) then it won't work, but if you have an in-dash changer you should have no problems. Also, they said that they're currently on back order and they're having some compatibility problems with the Nissan/Infiniti's radios. She didn't go into detail. It's kind of expensive...$219. I won't be ordering it since I have a remote changer. Maybe someone can test it to see if it will work once they get back in stock.

Originally Posted by jeepik
i have mine connected through the tape adapter, which sounds pretty decent actually...

interesting thing this ilink i like it if i can get it to work that woud be awesome

let me know if you are gonna order it
Yeah I saw that, they also have it for the iPod Mini. At this point I would rather not replace my factory headunit as I'm not sure what kind of work is involved with the navigation.

Originally Posted by MaximaDisciple
I've got the iTrip FM transmitter, which works pretty well depending on the strength of the channel and the surrounding area and interference. If you really want to do it right you'd probably have to get an aftermarket HU with an aux. input to get really clear sound.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/
Old 06-21-2004, 12:17 PM

I have both the FM transmitter and the tape cassette adapter. IMO, the tape is waaaay better than the FM xmitter. THe FM solution is "staticky". The tape solution actually sounds good. (Better than a normal cassette)
Old 06-21-2004, 12:49 PM

also i forgot to mention that last week i went to Best Buy and got the Belkin Car Charger/Dock thingy for the Ipod, also has the headphone and volume output on the plug....i plugged the tape adapter through that and the quality and sound is a million times better..i am more then satisfied with the way it sounds...it just doesnt look pretty but i can live with function over form for now

also i tried the i trip and all the other fm thingies, and it doesnt work that good in big cities (would barely work in Baltimore, and you can forget about it in L/A or NYC)
Old 06-22-2004, 07:36 AM

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:42 AM

Me too. So what's the best? I'm about to put an iPod in my max.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:04 AM

iPodLounge says that the best way is direct line-in followed by the cassette tape. I personally don't want a million wires all over the place. I may check out the iTrip.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:09 AM

i'm telling you man l ive in the same vicinity as you do,
Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 AM

Didn't someone discover internal connectors on the stock unit that a low level input could be wired to?