5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

'01 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'01 suspension

I have a question about the '01 front suspension. Did all 2001 Maxima's (GLE, GXE, SE) have the same front struts out of the factory? I have been searching everywhere but so far I've only found out that the GXE was manufactured identically in all factories and there were no mid-year production changes. Thanks to anyone who can help me

--cbc
Old 06-21-2004, 08:10 PM

Welcome to the org. Now that's a real good question, and I believe alot of guyz don't know!!!! Anyway the truth is that maxima from 2000-01 have the same struts and springs except the SE model.!!!!!!!!!! And only on the SE the springs have a higher spring rate in which it's made to handle better.(rides alittle harder too) Hope that help's.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by engcbc
I have a question about the '01 front suspension. Did all 2001 Maxima's (GLE, GXE, SE) have the same front struts out of the factory? I have been searching everywhere but so far I've only found out that the GXE was manufactured identically in all factories and there were no mid-year production changes. Thanks to anyone who can help me

--cbc
I researched this for a 2002 GLE (00-03 Maximas should have common components). GLE and GXE should be the same, while the SE has different rear springs (front springs are the same for all), stiffer shocks (all 4), and a beefier front anti-sway bar....

At least that's what it was according to the part number differences and a Nissan tech I discussed it with.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ghase
Welcome to the org. Now that's a real good question, and I believe alot of guyz don't know!!!! Anyway the truth is that maxima from 2000-01 have the same struts and springs except the SE model.!!!!!!!!!! And only on the SE the springs have a higher spring rate in which it's made to handle better.(rides alittle harder too) Hope that help's.!!!!!!!!!!!!
I appreciate the info. I called Nissan and they couldn't give me an answer......but there's always a good answer here!!! Thanks!
That being the case....if you buy a KYB front right strut (part #334265) make sure to check it out before you leave the store to make sure you don't have these problems:

--The retainer clip for the brake line doesn't fit back onto the KYB strut because of a “bent lip”. The bent lip in the picture is referring to the overall shape of the metal not the rounded top edge.

--The rear ABS sensor mount is the same as the factory strut but the front sensor mount has a mount that opens facing down causing the sensor to be kinked. and my abs light to come on occasionally
Here is a link to the picture:
http://www.astuteinnovations.com/strut.htm

Of course the part store wouldn't take it back because they didn't have the tools to get the spring off....and KYB doesn't have a lot to say...I finally got them to admitted that the strut I bought isn't right for my car but they haven't done anything about it....yet
Old 06-27-2004, 02:04 PM
retired moderator

The SE has been described as having a "harsh" ride compared to the GLE/GXE....as for my SE (still on stock springs and struts) the ride is "firm" and occasionally "harsh" on the worst roads. I've ridden in stock GXE/GLEs as well and they ride a little smoother but also lean alot more into corners...