5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Heart set on Injen Intake any comment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
this is from maximapolak's site.
see that thing to the right - thats the radiator
see the thing in the bottom right corner - thats the fan that blows hot air from the radiator
now explain how that hot air somehow magicaly does not blow right into that intake.
and the reason you see the ground is because the splash guard is removed. thats not a good idea.
btw maximapolak, im not picking on you. this is for the other people arguing. your site was the first pic i could find to use as an example

The splach guard is not removed....that's how it is....it just stops there....
Old 07-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by P. Samson
Engine compartment air is not coming from under the car but is being discharged under the car. (the only place it can go in a stock car) With the fan(s) running or with the car moving forward it obviously has to come from the grill/bumper facia scoops through the a/c condenser and rad. into the engine compartment because it is slightly above ambient pressure. It then moves rearward around the engine and then down under the car in front of the firewall. The air moving under the car also induces the air out of the engine compartment. If it wasn't this way cars would overheat like crazy as there would be no airflow through the rad. (using your theory) Notice all the baffles on either side of the condenser and rad. and no holes in the rad. support. They are trying to force the air to go through the rad. When the car is stationary the under hood temp really climbs. This is a power killer if this is where the intake air is coming from. I suggest you read a thread about under hood temperatures by sascuderi about 4 pages down.
exactly!!
drive your car for a little bit until the temp goes up and the farns turn on. stop and leave the car running. get out of the car and stand right behind the front tire. you will feel heat blowing really hard out onto your leg. thats the fan blowing hot @ss air from the radiator. if you can feel it that much behind the wheel imagine how hard its blowing and how hot it is right behind the radiator (where the injen filter is sitting)
Old 07-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
my bad. i see where it stops now.
well in that case how is it pulling cold air from under the car. when you are driving you wont get cold air from a hole that is BEHIND the filter. all the air will be flowing from the front and the only thing in front of the filter is the radiator. someone needs to put a thermamotor (spl?) next the the filter and let us all know how cold the air is that that "CAI" is pulling in.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:43 AM

my bad. i see where it stops now.
well in that case how is it pulling cold air from under the car. when you are driving you wont get cold air from a hole that is BEHIND the filter. all the air will be flowing from the front and the only thing in front of the filter is the radiator. someone needs to put a thermamotor (spl?) next the the filter and let us all know how cold the air is that that "CAI" is pulling in.
I think i can do that....(see the temperature of the intake that is....

I'm gonna take a pic of what i have...then I go outside and do it.....

I forgot i took out my intake though....i'll put it in sometime next week!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

for those "injen is too expensive" whiners...try the knock-off from ebay.

almost identical from what i can tell and works like a champ! had mine on for a few months and love it.

$45 sure beats $145 for the name brand Injen!!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:21 AM

I would go with the Place Racing CAI, even though you have to cut a hole in the wheel well its well worth it. Most other cars already have that hole in there wheel well for the purpose of the air system.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by hct67
I would go with the Place Racing CAI, even though you have to cut a hole in the wheel well its well worth it. Most other cars already have that hole in there wheel well for the purpose of the air system.
So with the place racing CAI you have to cut a hole, but with the injen you do not? And from what I hear there is not much difference between the two correct?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Cletus

the place racing one will actually get cold air (well actually just cooler then the injen)
Old 07-07-2004, 10:39 AM

Cut

The hole is on the fender side of the battery. I cut the hole and a little bit of the battery tray. The tray was to big anyways. I like this better as its getting the best air possible. I think theres a big difference in the two intakes. Place Racing is more protected from the elements then the Injen. Injen sits right in front of the car and the Place racing is within the Wheel Well surrounded by the black plastic. Plus the air comes right in there from the lower valence.

Originally Posted by 2KmaximaSE
So with the place racing CAI you have to cut a hole, but with the injen you do not? And from what I hear there is not much difference between the two correct?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:45 PM

how is the weapon r intake, i personally do not want to install any injen due to the water risk.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:52 PM

water risk...what are you talking about? no real water risk - you have the under skirt for that reason. it's not THAT close to the ground!
Old 07-07-2004, 03:42 PM

OK....on the stock intake where the air comes in the intake takes in air that is as cool as outside....

When standing in 80º Weather the intake heated up to 151.3º......

When driving around 40 it was the coolest 80º....70 and up 82º
Old 07-07-2004, 05:37 PM

So from what I am hearing the injen is just as good as an intake that goes down by the wheel well, and there is no real risk of water damage since it sits up in the engine. I guess this is what I should go with?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:37 PM

I went with the Weapon R and it is pretty loud, especially at WOT above 4K RPM's.

Soonerfan hit the nail on the head. Excellent response!

1. Without any other breathing mods like headers, Y pipe, and exhaust, the stock intake system is not holding back the motor enough for you to notice much of an improvement with an aftermarket unit. I don't care who makes it, what filter it uses, or where it's mounted.

2. The most noticeable difference is intake noise. Like somebody else mentioned, I think it's kinda cool, but my wife thinks it's totally gay.

3. The GAB modification using a high flow panel filter is the most cost effective way to get the same noise and increased airflow as any of the other systems.

4. If you want cold air and GAB, cut the bottom off the scoop assembly. There's a section that looks like it's MADE for attaching a piece of tubing for a cold air feed or ram air setup right on the bottom of the scoop assembly. You could easily fabricate something here with flex tubing.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by hct67
Where are you pics of PRCAI?

Andrei
Old 07-07-2004, 06:48 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
How many injen intakes have you installed? I've done mine about 6-7 times and helped with another and can say with 100% certainty the radiator fan is not blowing on the filter. It is below the fan and under the battery (just like in the picture YOU posted, thanks for making my argument ). Maybe you don't realize that picture is NOT taken looking straight down, it's more like the camera is at 10 o'clock and it's taken pointing toward 4 o'clock (maybe 4:30 )

Now, you explain to me how your cut airbox that sits behind the battery and is trapped by the battery, hood, engine, and fender somehow MIRACULOUSLY draws in colder air than an injen sitting 10" from the ground. Explain *from where* your cut airbox is getting all this fresh air, especially since you say "exactly!" to P Samson who just explained the ONLY air hitting the cut part of your GAB is coming through the radiator.

I'll take a picture of my injen tomorrow from the top looking straight down and from the bottom looking up so you can see (apparently only for the 2nd time) how it sits in the engine compartment.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:55 PM

I went to look for the injen tonight, and I noticed it looked small in the pictures... Last dumb question... is there only one type of injen intake for our maxima's? I would like to know if there is a difference like there is for AEM short ram and cold air for the accord I used to have. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wurf

4. If you want cold air and GAB, cut the bottom off the scoop assembly. There's a section that looks like it's MADE for attaching a piece of tubing for a cold air feed or ram air setup right on the bottom of the scoop assembly. You could easily fabricate something here with flex tubing.
That section was designed to drain out the water that may be ingested by the air scoop...notice a hole at the bottom of the tube. If you fabricate a flex tubing to that section, you might risk ingesting water to the engine.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:07 PM
It's chrome alright...

I went to look for the injen tonight, and I noticed it looked small in the pictures... Last dumb question... is there only one type of injen intake for our maxima's? I would like to know if there is a difference like there is for AEM short ram and cold air for the accord I used to have. Thanks!
only one for a 2000.

http://www.adventon.com/acb/showprod...tGroup_ID=2226

don't buy it there, though... like I said before, wait for one to come up in the "for sale" section. That's how I got mine and I got it for... "less" There is really no way to hurt it, so buy a used one (it might be scratched or scuffed but it'll work just the same) and get a new k&n filter (ru-2820) and you're good to go.

edit: and if you're saying "small" because it's smaller than the stock filter/baffles/crap then you're right...it's much smaller than that. It's really only some aluminum tubes and one rubber hose and some clamps/joint fasteners.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:08 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
That section was designed to drain out the water that may be ingested by the air scoop...notice a hole at the bottom of the tube. If you fabricate a flex tubing to that section, you might risk ingesting water to the engine.
you can only ingest water in the engine if there's enough of a vacuum...if he's talking about what I think he's talking about, there's no way it could suck up water because the inlet for the regular intake would not allow a sealed vacuum.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:17 PM
It's chrome alright...

2KmaximaSE, when I was deciding on which intake someone posted this for me (sorry, I don't know who, but if anyone knows and tells me I'll DEFINITELY give him credit).

I wanted to hear it so he posted this:

(please right click, save as)

Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
you can only ingest water in the engine if there's enough of a vacuum...if he's talking about what I think he's talking about, there's no way it could suck up water because the inlet for the regular intake would not allow a sealed vacuum.
2kwannabe, is he talking about an OSCAI set up? not sure exactly which part he is refering to...but sounds like that might be what he is suggesting?

VMaximus02, check the Install/How-to section for the link to a couple of OSCAI setups...may address that question further and/or give you another intake idea.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:21 PM

Don't waist your money on Injen, instead get yourself Cattman or Place Racing CAI. I don't know what filters they put on them now, but my 95-99 one came with a K&N. I loved that thing from day one, sounded like a beast. Whenever I get a new car, I'll make sure to get a K&N filter.

Check out this Place Racing Cold Air for 02-03 Maxima.

Andrei
Old 07-07-2004, 08:38 PM

I said "you might risk ingesting water to the engine"...depends on where the fabricated tubing is connected/routed.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:20 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
I said "you might risk ingesting water to the engine"...depends on where the fabricated tubing is connected/routed.
On a stock intake setup? Can't happen. You could route the new tube INTO a bucket if you want...as long as the entry for the stock intake is not plugged there *could*not* be enough suction to draw water up almost 3'.

Think about this...I've got a shop vac that can vacuum water up more than a 3' hose. One day it stopped working sucking water but still sucked everything else under the sun. Of course that meant I had a pin hole somewhere in the hose. Same idea...

I know someone's going to say "there's a big difference between a shop vac and a 3.5L engine" but not really in this case. As long as air has another way in and as long as the other entry allows sufficient air (and the stock intake hole is more than sufficient) there is no way it'll draw water.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:56 AM
It's chrome alright...

So, it's raining and I'm not getting under my car in the rain (no garage).

Each of these is a link to a different picture (yeah yeah, I know I need to clean my injen tube and engine bay...don't bother making fun of me for it):

The injen tube on my 2k2 is angled...

... to sit under the battery...

...and is easy to see if you look straight down.

That last one also shows (poorly, because it's raining and I'm not getting under my car) that the filter sits BESIDE AND BELOW the fan, NOT BEHIND IT.

And you still haven't explained how your GAB is getting colder air...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:20 AM

So, it's raining and I'm not getting under my car in the rain (no garage).

Each of these is a link to a different picture (yeah yeah, I know I need to clean my injen tube and engine bay...don't bother making fun of me for it):

The injen tube on my 2k2 is angled...

... to sit under the battery...

...and is easy to see if you look straight down.

That last one also shows (poorly, because it's raining and I'm not getting under my car) that the filter sits BESIDE AND BELOW the fan, NOT BEHIND IT.

And you still haven't explained how your GAB is getting colder air...
I want that intake... will my intake look like that for my 2000 max?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:38 AM
It's chrome alright...

I want that intake... will my intake look like that for my 2000 max?
this is on a 2000/2001 max (same injen for both years)... that is exactly what you'll have on your car (injen RD)

Old 07-08-2004, 12:26 PM

ii like weapon r intake.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Cletus

2k2wannabe
im done arguying this. it came up last week and it will come up every week in the future.
i fall asleep everynight knowing that i pull in the same amount of air as you.....the air is around the same temp as yours.....and that no matter what, an intake doesnt do much once the power gets to the wheels...and i have more money to spend on beer cause i was smart enough not to fall for a gimmick and waste my hard earned money.
now everyone have a good day and enjoy your wonderful maxima
Old 07-08-2004, 05:07 PM

this is on a 2000/2001 max (same injen for both years)... that is exactly what you'll have on your car (injen RD)

The Place Racing Intake is lower down but it is still in fact in the engine compartment and in the discharge from the condenser and rad. The filter is sitting above that black baffle/fairing. (Where is the IAT sensor??) I can now see how driving through a DEEP body of water could render the engine junk. The other problem not yet mentioned is that a paper and I think a foam filter when wet or damp from rain/water being sprayed or spashed on it can cause a severly restricted airflow through that filter. A filter mounted in the wheel well/housing even with the inner plastic fender offering some protection, to me could also be at risk of being water contaminated. This is why if you look at all cars, one way or the other the manufacturers of the vehicles have gone to a lot of trouble ("engineering") to keep water from finding its way to the air filter. The Maxima is a good example. The stock intake is the highest point of the intake ducting therefore they have the air/water seperator "Y" duct arrangement to keep rain/water injested into the intake scoop from finding its way to the airfilter. Obviously injesting rain/water into the stock scoop is more of a problem at something like highway speeds. To anyone contemplating an intake for "performance" I wish you would leave the stock one in place......throw in a K&N panel if you want, and not install a poorly thought out/poorly engineered intake. Plus you are giving up something free....ram. And who wants to "hear" the intake?? As someone stated, the gains from playing around with the intake in an otherwise stock car will not likely be really noticed in everyday driving. You could put a two foot diameter airfilter with a six inch duct on these cars but with that throttle plate/bore size that we have on these cars it really ain't worth playing around with the intake. Also for crying out loud, DO NOT go the "GAB" route. The air that it is pulling in is as hot as you can get....the "top" of the engine compartment yet.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:24 PM
It's chrome alright...

2k2wannabe, im done arguying this.
good, because you're wrong.
i fall asleep everynight knowing that i pull in the same amount of air as you.....the air is around the same temp as yours
oh, I though you had "$100 that says the air my GAB sucks in is colder then (sic) the air (your) injen is sucking in"... did you change your mind or realize you're wrong?
....and that no matter what, an intake doesnt do much once the power gets to the wheels...
huh? I guess you could say a turbo doesn't do much once the power gets to the wheels, either
and i have more money to spend on beer
and some of us have a big boy job that gives enough money for both
Old 07-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Cletus

good, because you're wrong.oh, I though you had "$100 that says the air my GAB sucks in is colder then (sic) the air (your) injen is sucking in"... did you change your mind or realize you're wrong?huh? I guess you could say a turbo doesn't do much once the power gets to the wheels, either and some of us have a big boy job that gives enough money for both
you can think im wrong all you want. like i said i know im right so whatever. im not going to argue something as stupid as this. no i didnt realize i was wrong. i just realized you are stupid. i actually have $200 now..so whenever you wanna do it lemme know.
a stupid intake is a little diffirent then turbo so shut it both of our intakes give us 1/2-1hp at the wheels. thats not a dam thing.
im glad you have a big boy job. now everytime you go to that job and then have the freedom to choose what intake you want - i serve our country to ensure you have that freedom.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:00 AM
It's chrome alright...

a stupid intake is a little diffirent then turbo so shut it
just pointing out how dumb that comment was...
both of our intakes give us 1/2-1hp at the wheels. thats not a dam thing.
and that's why my FIRST post in this thread said "Anyone who claims they can feel any gain from a CAI needs his butt-dyno retuned. I have an injen and I like the sound."

*I* was the one to say an intake doesn't give any real preformance gains. *I* was the one who said get it for the sound but don't expect to "feel" anything different. It was someone else who (rightly) said "Pretty funny that peeps on here cut a hole or use a hacksaw on their stock intake and call that a mod...
i serve our country to ensure you have that freedom.
thank you.
but that doesn't change the fact that a cut airbox is not getting any colder air than any other intake that sits in the engine bay.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:09 AM
Cletus

just pointing out how dumb that comment was...and that's why my FIRST post in this thread said "Anyone who claims they can feel any gain from a CAI needs his butt-dyno retuned. I have an injen and I like the sound."

*I* was the one to say an intake doesn't give any real preformance gains. *I* was the one who said get it for the sound but don't expect to "feel" anything different. It was someone else who (rightly) said "Pretty funny that peeps on here cut a hole or use a hacksaw on their stock intake and call that a mod...thank you.
but that doesn't change the fact that a cut airbox is not getting any colder air than any other intake that sits in the engine bay.
so what your are saying is that your intake has no significant gains yet you paid all that money for it? and your intake (that doesnt do anything) is still better then the free setup i have? then again my looks stock i dont have that flashy "hey look at my shiney CAI!"
this is why this is a stupid argument. we both admit that intakes dont do much for performance so we can stop discusing who's is better in that matter. then it comes down to the growl. and we both have the same growl.
so bottom line -
me - no significant hp gains, nice growl at WOT, $40 for K&N drop in, looks stock
you - no significant hp gains, nice growl at WOT, however much you paid (alot more then i did), looks modded.

dude, can we stop this yet
Old 07-09-2004, 07:12 AM
It's chrome alright...

me - no significant hp gains, nice growl at WOT, $40 for K&N drop in, looks stock
you - no significant hp gains, nice growl at WOT, however much you paid (alot more then i did), looks modded.

dude, can we stop this yet
it's all about the bling

actually in another post of mine I said buying new is a waste of money... I bought my injen used.

So, for less much less than you'd expect I got a very nice intake *and* I still have my original airbox so I won't have to get a new one when I sell the car.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:42 AM
Cletus

it's all about the bling

actually in another post of mine I said buying new is a waste of money... I bought my injen used.

So, for less much less than you'd expect I got a very nice intake *and* I still have my original airbox so I won't have to get a new one when I sell the car.
i dont have to buy a new airbox. it looks stock, the buyer wont even be able to the diffirence.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:09 AM

Ok I am the biggest newb around... Final Questions... I am going with the injen. Two things... is the heat shield worth getting? And also will I need to cut anything and if so what to install the injen? Remember I have the 3.0 engine
Old 07-09-2004, 08:15 AM
It's chrome alright...

i dont have to buy a new airbox. it looks stock, the buyer wont even be able to the diffirence.

[img]http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/335000-335999/335422_158.jpg
Thanks for the picture but I have a question...

The ellipse at the top...that's the GAB cut?
And the outlined area at the bottom, isn't that the radiator?
And the arrow...that's not a straight shot from the radiator to your cut airbox??

*NOW* I see how you're getting cooler air than my injen that sits below the fan...

--- ---

2KmaximaSE, you will not need to cut ANYTHING... remove the stock intake mess and put the injen in. Just snug everything up until the whole thing is installed, then tighten the clamps down tight.

I had to cut a zip tie holding some wires but only to give me more play in the wires...I did not have to cut the wires, just the zip tie.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Cletus

the GAB is the slit on the top.
that rectagular hole is where the scoop used to attach. that hole is further away then an injen sits so the hot air disepaits (spl?) before it gets there. plus the radiator blows the air DOWN at an angle to get it OUT OF THE ENGINE BAY (past the tranny). heat your car up so the fans come on and pop your hood. stick your hand in front of your filter (HOT AIR BLOWING HARD) now stick your hand where mine is (NO HOT AIR BLOWING). most the air is sucked through the top slit anyway.

i thought we were done with this. we are both stubborn so we will never agree on this one.

Quick Reply: Heart set on Injen Intake any comment?