5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blehmco or SWA for Grounding Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:06 AM

Blehmco or SWA for Grounding Kit

Which do you think is better??...they are both the same price which is $50 shipped... i wanna do this over buying the wires myself...anybody know if either if them include directions?...thanks for any input
Old 07-08-2004, 08:10 AM

i bought a lot of stuff from swa, they always got the order correct and delivered it on time as promissed.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm needing a caw

Is SWA's kit specifcily tailored to your car? Ie.. each length of wire exactly the right size? If not, get Blemco's kit. Matt makes each length of wire exactly the proper length to fit. And each ground point is specificly addressed. Makes for a much cleaner install vs having an Octopussy all up in the engine bay. hehe
Old 07-08-2004, 08:20 AM

SWA's kit only comes with 5 wires so i don't know if that makes any difference or if you even need more than that? the blehmco kit has 9 i believe...thanks for any input
Old 07-08-2004, 08:31 AM

jeff92se...good point...just so u know the swa kit like i said has 5 wires ...they are 16" 20" 24" 30" and 35" ... so i should prob go with blehmco huh? u know why they only have 5 wires as opposed to matt's 9
Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SWAs kit is "universal"
Old 07-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Cletus

or everyone could stop being lazy and make the exact same kit for $30!!!
and if its universal that means the wires will be to short or WAY to long. if you cut them you might as well have made your own.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

You can make it yourself IF you have a big enough soldering gun that can heat up 8ga and 4 ga wire. Then you get to spend a few hours fiddling around with the wire, cutting them and then soldering the joints. I do think soldering is necessary as you want to give the electrical system every chance. If not, why even make your own kit IMHO. In fact, I'd even use a thinner wire vs not soldering the joints.

I made my own kit but I had the wire, soldering gun, connectors and shrink wrap handy. I guess you have to ask yourself if $20 is worth the few hours it takes to fiddle with it to make one.

Originally Posted by soonerfan
or everyone could stop being lazy and make the exact same kit for $30!!!
and if its universal that means the wires will be to short or WAY to long. if you cut them you might as well have made your own.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:24 AM
STFU n00b!

My 5th Gen kit has 4 wires in it. it covers ALL of the sensors on the engine which affect the ECU or performance in any way. I don't bother with the wiper or headlight grounds, as they're added materials and cost and don't really do anything. I could care less if my wipers move 1% slower.

My kit also comes with complete instructions to put it on. takes about 30 minutes- maybe a hair longer because you have to remove the intake piping and the covers on the intake manifold and valve cover in order to run the wires invisibly.. I went for a completely stealth look on the kit as well. you can't even see it there unless you KNOW what a VQ's wiring harness looks like and you're looking for the kit. (I'm tired of seeing the crappy universal kits with bright blue spaghetti all over the top of the engine. fugly!)

Here's a shot of Mike Hill's 2000 with the kit installed:
Old 07-08-2004, 10:35 AM

I'm looking for either red or silver...are these color kits available in blehmco???
Old 07-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Cletus

why do people want stuff that stands out so much?? i did mine in black so it would blend in. im not trying to show off that i grounded my car.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You can make it yourself IF you have a big enough soldering gun that can heat up 8ga and 4 ga wire. Then you get to spend a few hours fiddling around with the wire, cutting them and then soldering the joints. I do think soldering is necessary as you want to give the electrical system every chance. If not, why even make your own kit IMHO. In fact, I'd even use a thinner wire vs not soldering the joints.

I made my own kit but I had the wire, soldering gun, connectors and shrink wrap handy. I guess you have to ask yourself if $20 is worth the few hours it takes to fiddle with it to make one.
you dont need to solder it. crimp the connectors hard as hell and use the shrink wrap. took me $30 and 45 minutes to make the wires and install. i would rather do my own work. i take more pride in DOING something then BUYING something.
but thats just me
Old 07-08-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

This is where our opinions differ then. I DO my own work also so we agree there. But since the whole point of this thing is to improve the electrical grounding, I will say IMHO the soldering portion is necessary to get all the gains (however small) possible.

you dont need to solder it. crimp the connectors hard as hell and use the shrink wrap. took me $30 and 45 minutes to make the wires and install. i would rather do my own work. i take more pride in DOING something then BUYING something.
but thats just me
Old 07-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Cletus

This is where our opinions differ then. I DO my own work also so we agree there. But since the whole point of this thing is to improve the electrical grounding, I will say IMHO the soldering portion is necessary to get all the gains (however small) possible.
i wasnt implying that you in pertucular dont do your own work. i know that you do. i guess we will just agree to disagree. mine have good contact without soldering. i can tug on the wire and it doesnt pull out of the connector.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

No problem. To be honest, I think the oem + and - connections for the battery aren't soldered to the oem wires. Hmmm Maybe I should break out the soldering gun, clean the connectors and solder them down.

I actually had to dip the wires if flux then put them in the connector. Then use a big flathead screwdriver and hammer the connector right in the middle so the crimp looks like a "M". Then heat and solder.

i wasnt implying that you in pertucular dont do your own work. i know that you do. i guess we will just agree to disagree. mine have good contact without soldering. i can tug on the wire and it doesnt pull out of the connector.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Cletus

No problem. To be honest, I think the oem + and - connections for the battery aren't soldered to the oem wires. Hmmm Maybe I should break out the soldering gun, clean the connectors and solder them down.

I actually had to dip the wires if flux then put them in the connector. Then use a big flathead screwdriver and hammer the connector right in the middle so the crimp looks like a "M". Then heat and solder.
they arent soldered.
i beat my connectors with a hammer to make sure i had a good tight connection
Old 07-08-2004, 01:45 PM
retired moderator

that was my homemade kit that had the 9 wires...and I only did that to make sure I had any extra ground points covered.....don't know if it's necessary to have that many (probably not) but it's not hurting anything and I didn't mind doing it with my extra wires.....

if buying, I'd go with Matt's kit, since it's made FOR the maxima....universal kits you'll have wires running all over the place (across the top of the engine, etc...) and it looks sloppy imo...
Old 07-08-2004, 01:48 PM
retired moderator

btw mine are not soldered either but crimped extremely tight (my hands hurt for days afterwards...)...would solder increase the positive effects I've gotten....maybe...but the way I did it is good enough....

I tried to solder the first wire and it took so damn long I said "screw that".
Old 07-08-2004, 02:00 PM
STFU n00b!

That's why you solder with a BIG soldering iron.

Kruppa, the available colors are all of these, plus solid black: