5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How much do the Stainless steal brake lines do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 08:39 PM

are they worth it? how much are they? do they really do anything? how many feet do they take off aproximatly? basically is this worth it or should i get something else before... lemme get some feedback... thanks
-danny
Old 04-02-2001, 01:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by psing23
are they worth it? how much are they? do they really do anything? how many feet do they take off aproximatly? basically is this worth it or should i get something else before... lemme get some feedback... thanks
-danny
i don't think the stainless steel brake lines will reduce your stopping distance. what it will do is improve your pedal feel and response time..they are around $80-$85...(for goodridge)
i'm getting my new brake upgrade(cross drilled rotors, metal matrix break pads and stainless steel brake lines) this week...like wed. or fri. i'll post the results..
Old 04-02-2001, 04:31 AM

Are you going with the Stillen rotors on your upgrade this week? Also, are you going with Speed Bleeders?
Old 04-02-2001, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by mdeal
Are you going with the Stillen rotors on your upgrade this week? Also, are you going with Speed Bleeders?

OH yea what do speed bleeders do too? cause i saw them on the car parts list and i was interested in it...

Irvine how much is it going to cost u to do that whole setup? w/ install and w/o install cause i am interested in that but eventually i wanna do the Big Brake Kit... but that wont be for atleast another year or so..
Old 04-02-2001, 07:02 AM

also irvine are u getting X-Drilled or slotted or both? i wanna get the X-Drilled and Slotted for all 4 corners... oh are u doing just the front or all around?
Old 04-02-2001, 07:08 AM

Here is everything you need to know about Speed Bleeders: http://www.speedbleeder.com/

In summary, it allows you to easily bleed yours brakes after changing the fluid, the lines, removing calipers, etc.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by mdeal
Here is everything you need to know about Speed Bleeders: http://www.speedbleeder.com/

In summary, it allows you to easily bleed yours brakes after changing the fluid, the lines, removing calipers, etc.

thanks for that info... so basically unless you service your own brakes there is no need for it? right? cause a close family friend owns a minekee(sp?) and he does all our brake work for us... also what if the little thing untightens a little while driving? then u loss pressure and fluid and u cant stop? i dunno... i dont think i would need these... but thanks for bringing this up to my attention!
Old 04-02-2001, 07:19 AM

i mean how often are we supposed to change our brake fluid? is it something that is supposed to be changed every certain mileage or something? im not really sure... i gotta check my car manual... but most likely it says bring it to nissan to check it out... hehe
Old 04-02-2001, 07:39 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Before installing the rotors... please make sure they're not the 4th gen rotors. I've said this many times (posted pictures too) and people still don't listen, so this is my last warning... ever.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:58 AM

I was asking about speed bleeders to see if they were being added now, while changing the lines, so that on down the road, changing the brake fluid/bleeding the brakes in general, would be easier. This would be applicable only if you want to do that stuff yourself. Otherwise, it is not worth it and you should let the brake place (maybe a dealership) worry about it.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Before installing the rotors... please make sure they're not the 4th gen rotors. I've said this many times (posted pictures too) and people still don't listen, so this is my last warning... ever.
What's the deal w/ the 4th Gen rotors? Aren't they the same?
Who has the right ones? slotted/drilled/both? Thanks
Old 04-02-2001, 10:27 AM

The lines are great for pedal feel. My brake pedal is rock solid in my 3rd gen with the Goodridge lines. Swapping my fluid later this week. There is also a hand piston pump that many parts stores carry to bleed your brakes. It attaches to the bleeder fitting on your caliper and draws the fluid down through the system by suction instead of the old 2 man push pedal, open fitting, close fitting let off of pedal system. Much less air gets in this way.
The lines are a very noticeable improvement.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by HaulinMax@$$

Kev posted pics, they are considerably thinner than 5th gen rotors.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:31 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by HaulinMax@$$

Look at the pictures: http://www.geocities.com/y2kevse/images/brakes1/

You can clearly see the 5th gen rotors are > 1" thick while the 4th gen rotors are < 1". Nissan made our rotors larger for a reason (maybe because we're heavier), so it's not recommended that you go thinner.

Stillen gave me the BS story and said they would fit... they're correct to a certain extent. The rotors will fit, but will they perform better or at least the same? So, I suggest matching the thickness before installing the rotors.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:12 AM

Changing Fluid

Most people that know would say that the fluid should be changed atleast every 2 years. Those who want the absolute best performance out of their brakes change it every 6 months. I do it every year.

Think about it. Brake fluid is more or less clear when new. If the color has changed to something significantly darker, then it should be changed. The same with auto tranny fluid and oil.

The rationale for changing the Brake Fluid is that it absorbs water, which has a lower boiling point than brake fluid and compresses differently.

As far as speed bleeders go there are many people that don't touch them. I've seen many sets that worked perfectly, but I've also seen many that leaked. Over time this leak will lead to a significant loss of fluid and potential brake failure scenario.

Later,

Originally posted by psing23
i mean how often are we supposed to change our brake fluid? is it something that is supposed to be changed every certain mileage or something? im not really sure... i gotta check my car manual... but most likely it says bring it to nissan to check it out... hehe