5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone done burn out with an automatic maxima SE with 17"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 06:41 PM

I will be driving my Max back to school very soon, I wanted to do some burn out with my Max fitted wtih 17" wheels. I need some hints of how to do burn out with the automatic with wide wheels!

Do I set in the emergency brakes and floor the gas as soon as I release my foot off the brake? I assume this will be very harsh on the engine since flooring it isn't what I do all the time!
Old 04-02-2001, 06:45 PM
Got Bent?

I can chirp the tires if I floor it from a standstill. Also, if it is wet or even a little damp, the stock Potenzas will slip quite easily.....making a burnout easier.....
Old 04-02-2001, 06:52 PM

Hrmm.. get an RWD stick with bald tires. Really, burnouts seem like they would be hard on a car... why burn up your tires?
Old 04-02-2001, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by punkdork
Hrmm.. get an RWD stick with bald tires. Really, burnouts seem like they would be hard on a car... why burn up your tires?
So I could prove to the bastards that not only RWD could do burn out!

BTW, kids who do burn out here only have 1 rear wheel spinning.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick

So I could prove to the bastards that not only RWD could do burn out!

BTW, kids who do burn out here only have 1 rear wheel spinning.
Well unless you have a LSD (only on the AE) then wouldn't you only have one wheel spinning too?
Old 04-02-2001, 07:06 PM

Well unless you have a LSD (only on the AE) then wouldn't you only have one wheel spinning too?
The 2000 SE has LSD in case you don't know!
Old 04-02-2001, 07:14 PM

The 2000 SE has LSD in case you don't know!
So all 2ks have LSD and the 2001 AE has VLSD?
Old 04-02-2001, 07:33 PM

How to burn 17 inch wheels?

Simple. It's called torque breaking. You hold down the brake pedal, then push down the gas to your tac says 2 rpms, and release the brake. You should peel out very nicely.

Bye the way our Maxima do have both wheels turning when you peel out, its called the slip differential . Whats the diffrence though, between ours and the viscious slip on the AE ?
Old 04-02-2001, 09:24 PM

you could do torque braking as some people are suggesting but if you want to show off to your friends, do brake stands (where you get your tires to smoke quite a bit...like what they do in burnout competitions)...i do this occasionally and now with my new mods i am able to do it on dry pavement and tear up the pavement below me (not good for my body kit...sometimes i get cement chunks stuck to it...o well, they come off)....my tires are fine...just pull the e-brake up as far as you can (seriously, use all your strength to pull it up) and then slowly gas it up...not really slow, but give it about 1/4 throttle and then after about a second give it half then after another second give it full throttle...watch your rpms, its kinda fun...before i could only do it when there was water on the ground...now i can do it on completely 100% dry pavement and it is really sweet (this guy at my school with his mustang was telling me how he could burnout in 4th gear so i decided to show off and smoke my tires up)...well it impressed him plenty...if you want to impress your friends, you have to do a brakestand...torque braking will yield about as big of a burnout as you get when you just floor it from a stop...also, if you want to be mean to your tranny, you can do a neutral tranny drop...wouldn't suggest it though
Old 04-02-2001, 09:47 PM

So all 2ks have LSD and the 2001 AE has VLSD?
Can you please tell me if there is any difference between the slip differential in a SE compared to a GXE? LoveSick thinks that there is a difference between the SE and the GXE....
Old 04-02-2001, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by tomI30

Can you please tell me if there is any difference between the slip differential in a SE compared to a GXE? LoveSick thinks that there is a difference between the SE and the GXE....
I dunno.. I was under the impression that only the AE had VLSD... this includes all canadian SE's as their SEs are all AEs.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:19 PM

try on a small hill

put the car in nutral and let the car roll slightly and put it in drive and once it shifts floor it. It wrok for me dry or wet. Only did it twice like that tho 1 wet and 1 dry.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:29 PM

max vader, that is called a neutral tranny drop which is horrible for your transmission
Old 04-03-2001, 10:05 AM

Limited slip allow one wheel to get the power through cornering. I believe that LSD do allow both wheel to turn in straight line acceleration providing better grip and power efficiency. Some GXE users said they have both wheels spinning but I am not sure. Vicious differential I think is seen on sports cars.
Old 04-03-2001, 11:25 AM

I love burnouts I had some videos and pics of my numerous burnouts in the Z but my cyberhosts server lost it all...

Rev up to 2000 with the brake pedal down. Keep the brake on and floor the accelerator and have the Ebrake on. That should do it..

I've never done it on a FWD car. Real sport cars are RWD
Old 04-03-2001, 02:11 PM

I dunno.. I was under the impression that only the AE had VLSD... this includes all canadian SE's as their SEs are all AEs.
Your right. Canadian SE's and SE AE have VLSD (Or was it LSD?). USA SE AE's are the only ones that have VLSD. If Lovesick has a US spec Maxima SE, He does not have this feature unless he somehow got a hold of a special US spec Maxima with LSD and a special Maxima engine that was rated at 240HP flywheel.

Maybe he is from Canada with a Canadian spec Maxima and Maxima's there are rated at 240hp?
Old 04-03-2001, 02:38 PM
RussMaxManiac

Limited slip allow one wheel to get the power through cornering. I believe that LSD do allow both wheel to turn in straight line acceleration providing better grip and power efficiency. Some GXE users said they have both wheels spinning but I am not sure. Vicious differential I think is seen on sports cars.

No. LSD keeps one tire from spinning more than the other up to about 25% difference more than that it will not be able to control it.

Go to a road, turn the wheel to the right, and floor the bastard, and let the car turn, your inner wheel will start turning, and spinning like mad. If you had LSD it would not spin, you will just pull out of there without a problem.

The reason why you see some maximas spin both tires is because the differential is very close and sometimes it will spin both.

Old 04-03-2001, 09:15 PM

Why Burnout?

It doesn't seem to make much sense to do some crazy burnout and eat up a couple of thousand miles off your tires. That gets pretty expensive at $200 per tire. Burnouts are for drag racers, I'd rather have my tires grippin' not slippin'...
Old 04-04-2001, 06:49 AM

Basicly what LSD does is to give power to the wheel that is not slipping, vs. the standard diffential which gives more power to the wheel that is slipping. The VLSD is a beefed up LSD. It is possible to have up to 100% torqued transfered to one wheel. Depends on the quality of the VLSD.

To find out more about slip diffential crap go here

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...action_4wd.htm

and for LSD http://members.aol.com/agspeed/LSD-lock.htm
Old 04-04-2001, 09:27 AM

If you hate them then...

I understand now, if you hate your tires then definitely fry them off the wheels. Although, don't you guys think that doing any kind of burnout would hurt the transmisson? I guess since I've only had my car for 4 months I still baby it a little too much.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:21 AM

my plans are..

Until my plan to hit the lottery comes through I think I'll let you guys take care of the burnouts, y'all seem to have it down and I'm sure the guys at the tire store love it too!
Old 04-05-2001, 08:30 AM

Now I think I'm starting to see the big picture...
Old 04-05-2001, 12:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Isn't it funny how the automagic guys are the knows always concerned about doing burnouts You guys should know that doing a burnout is BAD NEWS for a stock automatic. Why? Because a burnout generate a lot of tranny heat. Without a tranny cooler, you're asking for a failure. Even the true drag racers only do a burnout for 4-5 seconds. Many of the guys I read about here, make it sound like they do a burnout for 10+ seconds all the while letting the car shift thru the gears which is REALLY BAD!!!

Concerning the LSD. The ONLY US spec Maximas that have LSD are the 92-94 SE and the 2001 AE Maxima. All other Maxima DO NOT HAVE IT!!!! I always spin both tires on a launch, but it doesn't mean I have LSD. Go around a rain soaked corner and floor it, and you'll find out the inner tire will go up in a blaze of glory.

BTW, how do you have 240 flywheel hp?

Dave
Old 04-05-2001, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

Your right. Canadian SE's and SE AE have VLSD (Or was it LSD?). USA SE AE's are the only ones that have VLSD. If Lovesick has a US spec Maxima SE, He does not have this feature unless he somehow got a hold of a special US spec Maxima with LSD and a special Maxima engine that was rated at 240HP flywheel.

Maybe he is from Canada with a Canadian spec Maxima and Maxima's there are rated at 240hp?
NO NO NO! ALL SE in Canada gets LSD. THE ONLY MAXIMA THAT DONT GET THEM ARE GXE AND GLE! IT SAYS IN BROCHURE AND IN THE MANUAL. IT TALKS OF LSD MAINTENANCE ON THE MAINTENACE PAGE!

LSD ARE STANDARD ON ALL SE IN CANADA.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:22 PM

We just went through this in the LSD thread.

The Canada SE = the US SE/AE (w/o body kit)

So all Canada SE have an LSD.

The VLSD is a type of LSD like a granny smith is a type of apple.

This all works in 2001, what about 2000? I'm guessing no LSD (or VLSD) for anyone.

Mark F

NO NO NO! ALL SE in Canada gets LSD. THE ONLY MAXIMA THAT DONT GET THEM ARE GXE AND GLE! IT SAYS IN BROCHURE AND IN THE MANUAL. IT TALKS OF LSD MAINTENANCE ON THE MAINTENACE PAGE!

Old 04-05-2001, 02:52 PM

Ah..Isn't that what I just said? Do you ever look and read before you talk? temper temper. If you're trying to explain something else(or making us realise something that only you know but we don't), you sure aren't good at it because it's the same stuff we have been saying since page 1...

You never answer how you got your engine dynoed at 240hp. For now, your as believable as your 240 flywheel rated HP.
Old 04-05-2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

Ah..Isn't that what I just said? Do you ever look and read before you talk? temper temper. If you're trying to explain something else(or making us realise something that only you know but we don't), you sure aren't good at it because it's the same stuff we have been saying since page 1...

You never answer how you got your engine dynoed at 240hp. For now, your as believable as your 240 flywheel rated HP.
OOOPPps, sorry, I just clicked reply to post, I knew you were saying that Canada has Differential on SE.

no, its not dynoed, its an estimation of my Y pipe + K&N + the exhaust upgrade.

It might not be 240hp, but +/- 5%.

http://www.nissan.ca/eng/cars/maxima/features.html

I know its hard to believe, but Canada SE owners are lucky enough to get Differential and 17" standard. The downside is that we don't have AE.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:38 PM

OOOPPps, sorry, I just clicked reply to post, I knew you were saying that Canada has Differential on SE.

no, its not dynoed, its an estimation of my Y pipe + K&N + the exhaust upgrade.

It might not be 240hp, but +/- 5%.

http://www.nissan.ca/eng/cars/maxima/features.html

I know its hard to believe, but Canada SE owners are lucky enough to get Differential and 17" standard. The downside is that we don't have AE.
Yes I know they do, It might be because of the kind of weather you guys experience there.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:44 PM

No burnouts here

I like to see others burnout but tires are too expensive for me to try one on mine.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:16 PM

none 4 me either

You will never see me do a burnout, and I can't believe the guy in the picture burnin' out in the gravel, talk about paint chips!
Old 04-06-2001, 08:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

My car's on fire, but guess what? Yo, it's ok. j/k Hogan
Old 04-06-2001, 08:32 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Doh!
Old 04-06-2001, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

about the lsd...

I have a manual so maybe it doesn't apply to me...but i've done some clutch drops at 4k rpms to do burnouts and I've left two very pretty skid marks on the pavement. But then again, I have tried to burnout before and my steering wheel turned about 90 degrees, I didn't have a great grip on it :-) But what are the characteristics of lsd?
Old 04-06-2001, 05:30 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
LoL Kev....It's all good, we got great connections with Nissan Service Dept's and they help us alot on service and parts.

wow....I need some of those hook-ups.....I want to have some fun with my maxima too
Old 04-06-2001, 05:34 PM

That is why I use High temperature rated Synthetic automatic transmission oil and Ultra high temp Synthetic Differential oil
Old 04-08-2001, 04:36 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Last Reply for me....
I DON'T CONDONE BURNOUTS IN AUTOMATICS. ONCE AGAIN I LEARNED THE HARD WAY, and the CAR IS AT NISSAN FOR A BRAND SPANKING NEW TRANNY.
Juice in an Auto, and even after I rebuilt the damm thing, something else went wrong, and this time I'M NOT DOING NO STINKIN BURNOUTS EVER AGAIN.

-Maybe Nissan Trannies SUCK Donkey Diq...
So your rebuilt tranny is toasted again? Man, that's got to suck! Especially after rebuilding it. Sorry to hear about it. Are you going to Level10 it?
Old 04-08-2001, 04:50 PM

Do torque braking with someone holding a water hose, shooting at the tires.