5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto Zone & SES Codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 09:46 AM

Auto Zone & SES Codes

I just got off of the phone with the local dealer and he tells me the codes AZ pulls have about a 50% chance of actually ID'ing the error properly. My local UJC (Universal Japanese Car) mechanic pretty much echos this statement by saying Nissan does not endorse sharing their codes with independent mechanics.
Any comments from those of you who work or have worked for Nissan?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by brianc
I just got off of the phone with the local dealer and he tells me the codes AZ pulls have about a 50% chance of actually ID'ing the error properly. My local UJC (Universal Japanese Car) mechanic pretty much echos this statement by saying Nissan does not endorse sharing their codes with independent mechanics.
Any comments from those of you who work or have worked for Nissan?
Well I have not worked for nissan........but i find this hard to believe since the code that AZ pulls usually matches up with the same code that the dealer pulls...at least this what I have heard. Has anyone ever had a code pulled at AZ and then the dealer say it was something else?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeb120
Well I have not worked for nissan........but i find this hard to believe since the code that AZ pulls usually matches up with the same code that the dealer pulls...at least this what I have heard. Has anyone ever had a code pulled at AZ and then the dealer say it was something else?

Nope my MAF was right on...Autozone called it then dealer called it and fixed!!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mikeb120
It's not that the code is any different, but how it's interpreted for a particular make/model that differs. AutoZone can pull the code and tell you that it generally means "this or that" is bad, but you really need the FSM for the particular vehicle to make an accurate assessment. Info on many of the more common OBD-II codes have been posted throughout these forums, but it would be nice to consolidate that info in one OBD/OBD-II sticky in each Generation forum.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 AM

For example: AZ pulled a 1448 and that doesn't even show in their code book for Nissan.
As it turned out the SES light I got was a bad screw job with the fuel cap. I had just driven 20 hours and had 4 hrs of sleep went to work for 8 hrs and then a a couple brews with my buddies and filled up on the way home. I didn't get the cap tight and SES goes off 36 hours later.
Nissan told me if it was a fuel cap issue it would take 8-10 drive cycles to reset. In reality it took about 20-24 cycles.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:26 PM

You could have reset it yourself and it would have taken zilch cycles courtesy of studman. http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp
Old 07-28-2004, 02:54 PM

Your dealer is ****ing ****ting you.....don't listen to that ****....he wants you to pay for the diagnostic.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
You could have reset it yourself and it would have taken zilch cycles courtesy of studman. http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp
thats exactly what i used.. SES light wouldnt go away
Old 07-28-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by nyautostyle
thats exactly what i used.. SES light wouldnt go away
I never knew this...

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...oan_a_tool.jsp
Old 07-28-2004, 06:40 PM

I took my old sentra to the dealer once. They gave me a printout with my problems... Injector leaking. Later on when I got one of those Haynes repair manuals, I could get the same codes myself. In the end - problem wasn't even the injectors. Moral of the story - don't beleive the dealer without doing your HW