5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Shell V-Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

For anyone hatin' on my fellow Greek people....
Old 07-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Old Maxima Legend

we dont have mobil either, i use chevron 93 but have put in some vpower a couple of times. its actually rated at 94 and i wanted to check it out
Old 07-30-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
we dont have mobil either, i use chevron 93 but have put in some vpower a couple of times. its actually rated at 94 and i wanted to check it out
What is your impression of V power 94? I have not used any yet because our Shell stations here seem to charge 4-8 cents a gallon more than Chevron or BP.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
You're a crazy man.
LOL! You have no idea how much.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:40 PM

5 times the cleaning agents than before... WTF.. i just want the premium gas please.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:39 PM

friend i graduated with works for Shell down in la. without any bias, (since it really doesnt benefit her in anyway) she mentioned that BP, exxon, shell and sunoco have the best fuel and the reason is that their gas goes through more quality control steps and more tests than any other brand out there. basically they make sure the fuel you pump is highly pure and accurate in terms of octane numbers. she really didnt know much on specifics of V power gas, but did say these 3 companies use good fuel detergents (common ingredient of todays gas). just a messanger....
Old 07-31-2004, 07:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by aliti19
For anyone hatin' on my fellow Greek people....
For anyone hating anyone, I totally agree!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:07 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

hahaha.... someone tell me this "flick off" isn't the funniest smiley on the list.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:45 PM

shell

I'm down in St. Pete, and I only use shell. It is about 3 cents more on average, but every tuesday here they do 5 cents off premium (brings it about 2 cents cheaper than everywhere else) and then I have there credit card ( so I get an extra like 9-10 cents off a gallon) so in all it ends up being 12-13 cents cheaper to run pure 93 octane all the time than to go anywhere else. With the V-power I have noticed a slight .3 to .5 mpg increase, and I have watched my mileage since I bought the car. the V-power is premium at the same price and maybe a little better, but if not, it doesn't cost more, so I think it is a good thing.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:07 PM
retired moderator

you guys are all smoking the crack pipe....it's all marketing....In various cars over the last 10 years I've used pretty much every brand of gas out there....and I keep a "mileage" and notes log about my car's performance....so if the car feels sluggish or fast or whatever, I can correllate that with recent maintenance, mods, or gas.

and ya know what? I have always used Super in the maxima and haven't noticed any difference whatsoever between gas effects on the car. My "log book" shows that over the last 20,000 miles I have used BP, Amoco, Exxon, Shell, Citgo, Racetrack, 76, Mobil, etc...plus several "generics" bought at country stations in the middle of nowhere....

Here's why I think there is little difference:
All of the gas types have to meet federal standards for emissions/detergents/octane, etc...Now, none of these companies CARES ABOUT YOUR CAR. What they care about is profit. So, they ALL meet the minimum federal standards - and not much more.

People like to blame bad performance on gas....but there are other things that affect a car's day-to-day performance, and it has alot to do with the weather - humidity, temperature, etc can all make the car feel different - remember, air mixes with the gas for detonation......

just my rant....
Old 08-01-2004, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
you guys are all smoking the crack pipe....it's all marketing....In various cars over the last 10 years I've used pretty much every brand of gas out there....and I keep a "mileage" and notes log about my car's performance....so if the car feels sluggish or fast or whatever, I can correllate that with recent maintenance, mods, or gas.

and ya know what? I have always used Super in the maxima and haven't noticed any difference whatsoever between gas effects on the car. My "log book" shows that over the last 20,000 miles I have used BP, Amoco, Exxon, Shell, Citgo, Racetrack, 76, Mobil, etc...plus several "generics" bought at country stations in the middle of nowhere....

Here's why I think there is little difference:
All of the gas types have to meet federal standards for emissions/detergents/octane, etc...Now, none of these companies CARES ABOUT YOUR CAR. What they care about is profit. So, they ALL meet the minimum federal standards - and not much more.

People like to blame bad performance on gas....but there are other things that affect a car's day-to-day performance, and it has alot to do with the weather - humidity, temperature, etc can all make the car feel different - remember, air mixes with the gas for detonation......

just my rant....
LMAO What kind of detergent do you use to clean your pipe?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:16 PM
retired moderator

it's a slow day on the org.......I keep on seeing this thread and couldn't find anything better to post on......basically.

btw, I hear that if you add 2 cups of sugar to a full tank of gas, it boosts the octane to 96. And the best detergent to add to a full tank is 2 teaspoons of "Tide"
Old 08-02-2004, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
it's a slow day on the org.......I keep on seeing this thread and couldn't find anything better to post on......basically.

btw, I hear that if you add 2 cups of sugar to a full tank of gas, it boosts the octane to 96. And the best detergent to add to a full tank is 2 teaspoons of "Tide"
If you do that, you will have sugar in your tank and be like this . LOL