5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I think i have just messed up my car pretty badly... Help me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004 | 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think i have just messed up my car pretty badly... Help me...

I was driving on the highway around 11-12 at night, and they were doing some road construction. they were tearing up the road but it was still smooth to go over... but what i didn't see was the lip that they left... it was a good 2 inches high, and they didn't blend it in. i was going 70mph.... and i didn't see it untill the last second. I slamed into it full force. I cringed at the thought of what i just did. I tested my steering after i hit the bump, and my car was all over the place.

So i was thinking.. "great i blew out a freaking tire... just my damn luck" i got out of my car, and all 4 tires looked fine, no flats at all. i got back in my car, and changed lanes and the car was swaying, the steering was "wishy washy" and taking a turn was a death wish. i pulled over again to check the tires, but yet again, no flats. so that means something else is wrong.

i went to townfair tire, and they said my camber, tierods, and alinement was all messed up, so after they fixed that, it seems to be beeter, but my car still feels unstable going over 60mph, or switching lanes. what could be wrong? there are no noises i can hear, but something is up. any ideas? and i am lowered with h&r's with agx shocks. thanks guys...

-Chris
Old 08-18-2004 | 10:05 AM

Good thing you did not slam on the brakes. It's better to just take a hit rather then slam on brakes, and take a hit with brakes on...

Check tires again. You might have broken a belt in the tire. Try rotating them back and see if you get a better response.
Also, check the hub and studs while you are rotating tires...
Old 08-18-2004 | 10:37 AM

Yeah, I agree with the broken belt. My wife's car has broken belts on the tires...we rotated them around back and the car feels much better.
Old 08-18-2004 | 03:43 PM

try checking the control arm... make sure its not bent anywhere, also make sure your rim(s) aren't bent
Old 08-18-2004 | 04:03 PM
scopium

see if your rims are bent in any shape..

also did u know its the city/county's job to provide safe roads .. you can sue or ask the city/county to provide you a refund.. they are not suppose to have ANY gaps on freeways... at least not in cali

i hit a pot hole on a freeway in cali and i demanded for the money i paid to fix..

imagine you get hurt from that incident.. its deadly especially when you are going over 70mph..

call the city hall of the city you are in or the county and ask how u can get a refund on something that was the city's fault
Old 08-18-2004 | 04:08 PM

You must have been on 295 !!!
I've been traveling that route everyday and hit those damn things. Why do they have to grind them all for miles when they only pave about a mile a night??
Everytime I hit those things I wonder how much damage I'm doing.
Good luck wish I could help.
Old 08-19-2004 | 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by wavedog
You must have been on 295 !!!
I've been traveling that route everyday and hit those damn things. Why do they have to grind them all for miles when they only pave about a mile a night??
Everytime I hit those things I wonder how much damage I'm doing.
Good luck wish I could help.

actually, I was on RT37 which has the biggest bump. 295's bump is like a grain of salt in comparsion.

scopium - i was thinking about that, but i doubt i would actually get any money from my state... they will just say i am lying, and not do anything about it. if i ever find out what is wrong with my car, and it costs more then $200 to fix, then i will try. if it is more then $1000, then i will hire a lawyer... lol.

-Chris
Old 08-19-2004 | 06:23 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by scopium
also did u know its the city/county's job to provide safe roads .. you can sue or ask the city/county to provide you a refund.. they are not suppose to have ANY gaps on freeways... its deadly especially when you are going over 70mph..

call the city hall of the city you are in or the county and ask how u can get a refund on something that was the city's fault

You're not supposed to go over 65 on the highway, strike 1... You're also not supposed to speed in a work zone, strike 2... you're also not supposed to go over 45mph in a work zone, and if he hit it at that speed nothing would have happened... strike 3.

Take some responsibility for your own actions. A pothole is different than a lip in the pavement in a work zone.
Old 08-19-2004 | 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe

You're not supposed to go over 65 on the highway, strike 1... You're also not supposed to speed in a work zone, strike 2... you're also not supposed to go over 45mph in a work zone, and if he hit it at that speed nothing would have happened... strike 3.

Take some responsibility for your own actions. A pothole is different than a lip in the pavement in a work zone.

there was not even one sign on the whole hwy that stated that there was a bump, or a work zone, or slow, or anything for that matter. no cones, tape, road machines. nothing. just 400 -600 feet of a rough road, and then out of nowhere a huge non blended in bump. i would not be so mad if i had a warning. and the hwy speed limit over here is 65. i was going 70. 5mph.. woopie... like 5mph will make such a huge change in how my car acts now.

-Chris
Old 08-19-2004 | 07:19 AM

DEFINITELY have a mechanic check the wheels for bending/runout... and the tires. An impact like that would almost guarantee bend the wheel, especially if steering/suspension components were damaged.
Also, if you suspect the wheel is bent, be a little easy on the brakes... (I have a suspicion that bent wheels can cause the brakes to warp faster, based on my recent experiences)
Old 08-19-2004 | 08:23 AM

As mentioned, tire internals could cause a problem, you could have thrown a wheel out of balance (losing balancing weights), bearings, control arm. Check all of those out, but start with the tires. A good hit can throw all kinds of stuff around inside a tire.
Old 08-19-2004 | 11:00 AM

is there anyway so simply check to see if it is my belts?
Old 08-21-2004 | 08:31 PM

check the tires and tie rods.