5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Some questions about automatic shift...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004 | 10:18 AM

Some questions about automatic shift...

I have 2k GXE with auto.. I've read the owner 's manuel. I still have some questions.

Do I have to turn the overdrive off when i want to drive my car like manul?

How exactly do i shift( O/D is off)? I know I have to press break when i shift from P to others or shift to P. Do i have to press break when shift D to 2 or 1 or N? or maybe I can just press the bottom on the shift?

The last question...Can I use 2 to accelerate my car from 0 to 60?...

Thx in advance..I can't drive a stick..just wanna know how to do it on the auto..I know it hurts my tranny..I'm not gonna do it a lot only when I race with my friends.
Old 08-24-2004 | 11:20 AM

PLZZZZZZZZZZZ ..... dont shift your automagic, it kills the tranny what you should do when you want to race from light to light. take the O/D off leave it in drive and haull azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
iight drive safe
Old 08-24-2004 | 12:13 PM

Dont worry bout 'shifting' your auto. Wire in a switch to use the drop resistor mod instead. That will actually help make shifts faster. 'Shifting' an auto doesnt do anything, although it is fun and I do it myself sometimes.
Old 08-24-2004 | 01:57 PM

well shifting an AUTO if done correctly with LOTS of practice can be faster. But it sounds like "Bl_asd " doesnt have much practice. you can run revs up about an extra 400 rpm to exactly 6500 where the rev limiter is at in autos ( SUCKS A$$ to hit it tho) do the prob resistor mod and that should be it for you.. dont leave the switch open all the time its just not good for the tranny!
Old 08-24-2004 | 02:15 PM

correction, the drop resistor is good for the tranny, its more like its bad for the engine mounts that get banged around. But lets not get into that discussion again. Hence the reason I wired in a switch
Old 08-24-2004 | 03:30 PM

Actually, manually shifting an auto is harder to master than driving a stick. To learn to drive a manual, you only need to go to an empty parking lot (preferably 2-floor so that you can practice some uphill) and half an hour to an hour of your time. And of course someone to trust you with their 5/6spd

I personally feel much more in control in a manual than manually shifting an auto. You have to develop a feel for when you have to shift without redlining...on the negative side, it looks like a wimpy manual wannabe. It's nowhere near the fun of driving a stick.

As far as the O/D goes, all of you autos that go to the track, do you turn the O/D off? And how much of a difference does it make alone in the 1/4 mile?
Old 08-24-2004 | 03:36 PM

well, in the 2k2 there is no OD persay... i usually do shift 'manually' when i go to the strip. well only the 1-2 shift cause i've found i can go a tad past redline and when it shifts to 2nd, the engine is at a higher RPM (closer to powerband). But leaving it in 'D' wont lose much as far as times go. Using the drop resistor mod, like I said before, makes the biggest difference in times.
Old 08-24-2004 | 03:45 PM

thx a lot i'm not gonna shift it... but how do i shift thou? how to shift i have to climb hills? can i shift from D to 2 by only pressing the bottom on the shift?
Old 08-24-2004 | 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
thx a lot i'm not gonna shift it... but how do i shift thou? how to shift i have to climb hills? can i shift from D to 2 by only pressing the bottom on the shift?
Haha, uphill is my favorite part of driving a stick. When you're at a stop light you can roll up'n'down, but for that you need a clutch. God it's so much fun when the car starts going backwards. I miss that moment so much that I shift in neutral in my auto only to feel it rolling backwards. You have nothing to learn since you're an anto though and whether in D, 2 or 1, the car is still in Drive, so there's no chance of you bumping into the car behind you. Don't worry, it's really easy once you get to practice it.
Old 08-24-2004 | 04:13 PM

yea..thx a lot moiselle. Err..ur GLE is stick? i want to know coz 2 weeks ago, I was in maimi. i was on I95, and there were 4 other friends in my car. There was a slope on I95, my car was at cruise control. I set it at 80mph. My car was slowing down when climbing the slope , but the enigine suddenly boosted up trying to keep at 80mph .we were shocked.. i'm not sure if the tranny shifted to 2 itself for the slope or just the engine.. so i want to know if i can do the same thing by shifting D to 2 myself...

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle
Haha, uphill is my favorite part of driving a stick. When you're at a stop light you can roll up'n'down, but for that you need a clutch. God it's so much fun when the car starts going backwards. I miss that moment so much that I shift in neutral in my auto only to feel it rolling backwards. You have nothing to learn since you're an anto though and whether in D, 2 or 1, the car is still in Drive, so there's no chance of you bumping into the car behind you. Don't worry, it's really easy once you get to practice it.
Old 08-24-2004 | 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
yea..thx a lot moiselle. Err..ur GLE is stick?
You're too cute!!! I wish GLEs came manual. What I meant is that I shift from D into N while uphill (without needing to), of course holding the brake, to reproduce something similar to what you get by depressing and releasing the clutch on a manual. The hardest thing in learning to drive stick is getting the car not to stall on you in 1st. All it takes is a little practice...

And umm, isn't it spooky how the cruise control causes the accelerator to move on its own

Next time you're in Miami let us know in the Southeast forum.
Old 08-24-2004 | 04:48 PM

it was rather scary the car accelerated itself like that..the slope almost came to an end and there was a bit curve... i canceled the control right away.. I'll let you guys know next time we come to maimi..we might even transfer to university there. still deciding either UF or west palm beach

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle
You're too cute!!! I wish GLEs came manual. What I meant is that I shift from D into N while uphill (without needing to), of course holding the brake, to reproduce something similar to what you get by depressing and releasing the clutch on a manual. The hardest thing in learning to drive stick is getting the car not to stall on you in 1st. All it takes is a little practice...

And umm, isn't it spooky how the cruise control causes the accelerator to move on its own

Next time you're in Miami let us know in the Southeast forum.
Old 08-24-2004 | 04:53 PM
Z

Spots to sport shift at:

@ 1: 6100-6500RPM
@ 2: 5600-6100RPM
Old 08-24-2004 | 05:07 PM

lol bro if your gonna downshift from D to 2 make sure you are going about 35 NEVER over.. its hard for tranny to deal with it. if you can modulate the gas very well. you can shift from 2-1 going around 10-14 mph any more and youll bang the front end into the ground
if you cant modulate the gas wait untill your car is stopped to shift to 1 then you can move to 2 on your leasure but remember high rpms for long times will suck the oil sump dry.(really bad)

D to ODoff can be done at around 55 this is good when comming down an off ramp and you have been hot on your brakes for a while.. but do not exceed the speeds i have told you.. i have mastered the art of Auto shifting.
Im not responsible for your tranny
Old 08-24-2004 | 05:14 PM
Z

Quick question, when the orange OD light is on, that means OD is off right? I always have the light off.
Old 08-24-2004 | 05:18 PM

Yup, not sure if the light doesn't actually read "O/D off".
Old 08-24-2004 | 05:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I personally think I messed up my tranny trying to shift from 1 to 2 to D.
I attempted to do it a few times while having fun racing with a few friends at an abandon airfeild.

Basically, I turned OD off and put it into 1.
I held first gear until the car hit 6300 or so RPM, put it into 2nd.
The car jumpsand the rpms go flying, until like 6000 and I put it into D and it jumps again.

I did it a few times, and now when I drive, and I am in D, the car shifts from gear one to gear two in which it kicks. It does the same from gear two to three shift.
This does not always happen, mostly when I do 3000-4000 rpms.

Did I mess up my tranny? What is this mod you guys are talking about?
Is there a how to?
Old 08-24-2004 | 06:17 PM
Z

A Valve Body mod is one of the best things you can do for your car's transmission.

1) It lengthens the life of the transmission.
2) It makes the shifts quicker and firmer, thus improving your acceleration drastically. Basically, your car will accelerate as fast a standard manual/5 speed Maxima.

Gennady: Also make sure your OD light is OFF. The car will kick just a tad when it's on.