5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ground on manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 03:35 PM

Ground on manual transmission

Can someone tell me where there is a ground on a 2K manual on the transmission? The service writer told me that there was a ground on the tranny that might be causing the problems I am having during start up. He said that I should clean it and that might solve the problem
Old 08-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MAX2000JP
Can someone tell me where there is a ground on a 2K manual on the transmission? The service writer told me that there was a ground on the tranny that might be causing the problems I am having during start up. He said that I should clean it and that might solve the problem
There are two possible grounds he could be talking about.

1. Facing the engine from the front of the car, the tranny is on the right. If you have your airbox etc removed for an intake, you should be able to see a black wire with yellow stripe running from the battery area to a bracket attached to the point where the tranny meets the engine (which is just to the left of the center member) toward the front of the car.

2. There is another possible ground. But, it is at the far back of the tranny and I don't think you can get to it unless you remove your intake up to the throttle body. I'm not even entirely sure if it is a tranny ground or a ground for something else. In any event, it is just to the right of the starter but farther back - much thinner wire than the other.

How do I know all this? I'm replacing my clutch and just had to take all that crap apart!

By the way, what problems are you having?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
There are two possible grounds he could be talking about.

1. Facing the engine from the front of the car, the tranny is on the right. If you have your airbox etc removed for an intake, you should be able to see a black wire with yellow stripe running from the battery area to a bracket attached to the point where the tranny meets the engine (which is just to the left of the center member) toward the front of the car.

2. There is another possible ground. But, it is at the far back of the tranny and I don't think you can get to it unless you remove your intake up to the throttle body. I'm not even entirely sure if it is a tranny ground or a ground for something else. In any event, it is just to the right of the starter but farther back - much thinner wire than the other.

How do I know all this? I'm replacing my clutch and just had to take all that crap apart!

By the way, what problems are you having?

My car is turning over a lot more than normal. The car will turn over, then pause for a second, and then turn over a few more times. The cars starts everytime, but something isnt right. This all started happening when I replaced my transaxle a few weeks back. I am missing a bolt just left of the starter which might be my problem. This could be causing a bad ground between the block and bellhousing. It's a longshot but seems logical.

A guy in the 4th gen section was having similar problems:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....2&goto=newpost
Old 08-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I believe the tranny ground is the second one I described above - not the first.