5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cylinder Misfire????? S.O.S.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 07:44 AM

Cylinder Misfire????? S.O.S.

I hav had a 2000 SE max 5spd since nov '03; but only recently have I had a rough idling prob with severe power loss. I looked up a lot of old threads and found a close problem but slightly different symptoms. Possibly a fuel cut tsb isssue, a dirty throttle body or bad or defective Ignition Coils.

Well, I also found a few posts about AutoZone doing free ODB II tests. They told me I have have a cylinder 4 misfire and to see manufacturer. My question is should i try and get this fixed for free, or is that asking too much. Is it anything besides a bad spark plug, or should I try and shoot for getting my ecu replaced/remapped???

Any help is greatly appreciated, Please help!

P.S. SOS = Save Our Sedan
Old 09-13-2004, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by StillenMax80x20
I hav had a 2000 SE max 5spd since nov '03; but only recently have I had a rough idling prob with severe power loss. I looked up a lot of old threads and found a close problem but slightly different symptoms. Possibly a fuel cut tsb isssue, a dirty throttle body or bad or defective Ignition Coils.

Well, I also found a few posts about AutoZone doing free ODB II tests. They told me I have have a cylinder 4 misfire and to see manufacturer. My question is should i try and get this fixed for free, or is that asking too much. Is it anything besides a bad spark plug, or should I try and shoot for getting my ecu replaced/remapped???

Any help is greatly appreciated, Please help!

P.S. SOS = Save Our Sedan

I had a similar issue with cylinder 6. What I did was open up everything related to ignition on cyl 6 --both coil and plug. I realised the plug had arched and was history -- I replaced it with an old plug. That was also busted -- I since then have replaced the coil with a new plug. So far no issues -- hopefully it was just the cyclinder 6.

Give this a shot -- most probably the insulation in the coil is gone (though it may work just fine) resulting in arching --- resulting in plug failure. More of trial and error when it comes to root causing the Maxima's ignition system problems.... Good luck.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the input. So you think it is the coil? It's been getting worse and I am afraid you may be correct. The higher the rpm, the less severe the problem, but the line is rising, but sometimes the problem disappears altogether, not as much lately as it did before though.

thanks anyway
Old 09-13-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max

I had a similar issue with cylinder 6. What I did was open up everything related to ignition on cyl 6 --both coil and plug. I realised the plug had arched and was history -- I replaced it with an old plug. That was also busted -- I since then have replaced the coil with a new plug. So far no issues -- hopefully it was just the cyclinder 6.

Give this a shot -- most probably the insulation in the coil is gone (though it may work just fine) resulting in arching --- resulting in plug failure. More of trial and error when it comes to root causing the Maxima's ignition system problems.... Good luck.

check sparks make sure there gapped right or not bend, test coil packs, clean TB.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When i had a bad ignition coil. I removed it and wiggled it around and played with it everytime and it would solve the problem for a few months when i had my 2000 maxima. But in the end the only fix is to get new ignition coils.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 AM

Now i must find a cylinder layout of the engine. I called a service rep of to nissan dlrs around and both mentioned (without asking) to replace coil packs after telling them about a misfire
Old 09-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

cylinder layout

There should be a cylinder layout in your owners manual towards the back.
The coil packs on the 2000 are notorious for failing. My coil pack #4 gave out at about 60k. I also tried replacing the spark plug. It fixed the problem for about a week but always come back. Finally after reading abit on the forum I found that I should pull the OBD code and get the coils replaced. I replaced them all from a guy on Ebay selling them for about $150 for the set. So far I have 90k miles and no more misfires. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:42 AM

thanks, i'm trying to find them cheap, no one on ebay has them, and they're 70/piece at autozone, i may bite the bullet on the back ones but it took a minute to switch them in the front (only to prove it was the coil) so i'll do those at my leisure.