5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

By this time tomorrow I'll be driving a 2002 GLE home

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:48 PM

By this time tomorrow I'll be driving a 2002 GLE home

getting it for 18.2k at the nissan dealer, it's a white GLE with 37,000 miles on it. Had to send my mom in to haggle them down, it was advertised at 19,000 on autotrader. She is cosigning on the loan for me, but the whole time she was pretty indifferent about it, so that probably worked in her favor.

Anything I should do to it the first night I get it? I plan to get it tinted for my 21st birthday in a couple weeks.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:56 PM

the night you get it go back and trade it in for a 6 speed.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

congrats man. i just picked up a 02 GLE with 20K on it. i love it. let me know how you like it and especially how you like the seats. i just found my optimal position that didnt hurt my lower back, but it still needs some tinkering.

does yours have navi, by the way?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
the night you get it go back and trade it in for a 6 speed.
No thanks, I've been driving a 5 speed RX-7 for the last 5 years, I'm done with manuals for the time being.

No navi on it
Old 09-14-2004, 03:03 PM

LOL, I saw that one coming....

Well, for 18k+ I'd get a 6spd too, but since I'm biased towards GLEs and it's white on top of all, I'll just say congrats and go out and floor it the first night

And get it tinted for god's sake. This is Florida...
Old 09-14-2004, 03:19 PM

you didnt get the rare white on black leather did you? i was lookin, but i couldnt find it
Old 09-14-2004, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
you didnt get the rare white on black leather did you? i was lookin, but i couldnt find it
Nope, it's tan leather.

And I hear you on the tint, I might not wait for the birthday, I'll see if I can get it as an early present
Old 09-14-2004, 03:26 PM

Congrats- hope you are blessed with a trouble free Max
Old 09-14-2004, 04:53 PM

congrats! i'm sure you'll love it!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Welcome to the 3.5 club! Sounds like a great ride. I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:05 PM

Post pics of your new ride! I suppose in Florida you don't need traction control, heated steering wheel and seats, but you should have a sunroof. Enjoy and congrats.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:08 PM

what options are on it?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:08 PM

I don't think white on black was a ready combination for any 5th gen. I guess it could be ordered because I've seen it only on a couple of 00/01 Maxes, but never on a 02/03.

Btw, if you have a GLE with tan interior, the only advantage of the 03 over the 02 is the one-tone interior (like this)
Old 09-14-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxnut
what options are on it?
I believe it's stock GLE, it has the 17" 7 spoke wheels, no sunroof, no navi, just the leather and the bose and the memory seats.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
Post pics of your new ride! I suppose in Florida you don't need traction control, heated steering wheel and seats, but you should have a sunroof. Enjoy and congrats.
Yeah no sunroof, I will definitely start a new thread with my pictures tomorrow
Old 09-15-2004, 08:02 AM

I've seen a couple of 02-03 GLEs w/o sunroof and find that to be peculiar, given the trim level. Triangle, the first mod you should get is an OEM rear spoiler. The 5G Max has an ugly rear end w/rear spoiler but, is MUCH uglier without one.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:25 AM

Congrats i just picked up my 2k2 se last saturday and love it...even though it feels like a boat with no suspension mods compared to my 4th gen. Enjoy your ride.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Triangle, the first mod you should get is an OEM rear spoiler. The 5G Max has an ugly rear end w/rear spoiler but, is MUCH uglier without one.
So not true! My baby's behind is damn fine w/out a spolier. Stay true to your GLE roots and don't get a spoiler!!! But if you do decide to get one, make sure to take out the 3rd brake light. Nothing looks more ghetto than having your 3rd brake light and the spoiler brake light both shine up when you hit the brakes. And good choice on the color, the pearl looks awesome in the sun.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
So not true! My baby's behind is damn fine w/out a spolier. Stay true to your GLE roots and don't get a spoiler!!! But if you do decide to get one, make sure to take out the 3rd brake light. Nothing looks more ghetto than having your 3rd brake light and the spoiler brake light both shine up when you hit the brakes. And good choice on the color, the pearl looks awesome in the sun.
Haha. Some things are hard to believe, but true. The fact that it's a GLE does make a difference compared to SE. The chrome OEM tails do look good on a black GLE, and the lack of a spoiler on certain color Maxes doesn't make the car uglier. White would be one, and tungsten blue will be another.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:47 PM

i am tryin to decide between spoiler and no spoiler also. with the Stillen rear lip, a drop, and 00-01 tail lights, the rear does look sexy without a spoiler, but in stock form, it NEEDS a spoiler.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:22 PM

Welp I drove back to work with the car at about 2pm, I'm stuck at work til 6 cuz I spent 2 hours at lunch. Since it has a 60 day bumper to bumper warranty, I am going to wait until that is done and then most likely get an extended b-2-b warranty for a term of 3 years, 36,000 miles. That will run $1800, but they provide 0% financing on it with 10% down, so it will be $180 down and $90 a month for 18 months. The car will probably be around 40,000 miles by the time I buy it so it will be covered b-2-b until 76,000 miles

First time I got to really see what the car can do and I am definitely impressed. I took it to a 1/2 mile road I frequented with my old RX-7 and it did 85 with plenty of room for braking, just what the RX-7 did. The torque steer that occurs when you give it loads of gas while turning is kinda scary, experienced that a couple times. It is great to jam out to a CD finally since the cars I have been driving for the last month only had radios, no CD players. The Bose definitely sounds good too, and I am going to like the SCV as well. I usually turned down my radio at lights anyway, so this does it for me

I will try to get pics tonight but being stuck til 6 plus I have to go help out someone with their computer, it might be getting dark out, so I'll have to see.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:27 PM

1700 is expensive for 3 yr 36k for going through a dealer i went through my insurance company and got the same yr plan for 535 bucks with 100 down. shop around first before they rip you off.

Edit: A THOUSAND POST FINALLY!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 03:10 PM

Hey triangle man, i dont know if you got my PM but I wrote you one. I live in Jensen Beach, FL and have a 2000 SE. Not too many people on the org on the treasure coast. how did you manage through hurricane frances?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle
"...chrome OEM tails do look good on a black GLE,..."
Thank you but...I'm most likely going to dump mine for more subtle black tails (I'm also going to replace the clears with paint-matching black inserts all the way around).

Re: a spoiler? bah...crap IMO.

To the original poster, "congrats and enjoy your new ride."
Old 09-15-2004, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by TriangleMan
No thanks, I've been driving a 5 speed RX-7 for the last 5 years, I'm done with manuals for the time being.

No navi on it

I hear that....I drove a 5 speed 91 TT Z for seven years......it sucked so bad in traffic.....I love just putting the car in drive and just going....Congrats on the ride!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by .45
Thank you but...I'm most likely going to dump mine for more subtle black tails (I'm also going to replace the clears with paint-matching black inserts all the way around).
If you've decided to go for the all-black look, that's great too The chrome tails to me just match better with GLE rims, etc. Just look at this, this is the perfect 5th gen...I like it just as much as any black 6spd/TE

i am tryin to decide between spoiler and no spoiler also. with the Stillen rear lip, a drop, and 00-01 tail lights, the rear does look sexy without a spoiler, but in stock form, it NEEDS a spoiler.
Oh nooo, you're swapping out the tails too? I just love those tails with GLE rims so much, with or without a spoiler. Never thought about making a SE out of a GLE...
Old 09-15-2004, 08:18 PM
retired moderator

yeah, black tails.....gotta go with black tails on a black ride...

but then again you should listen to Maximadimoiselle, she is much better looking than I am, oh, and she's female.....so her advice counts for more
Old 09-15-2004, 08:42 PM

Thank you Irish I was just stating the facts though. If I had a 02 GLE, I wouldn't touch the tails. A spoiler, a drop, a front lip maybe and DDE-ed HIDs and you have the best looking 5th gen ever..

Now, Irish, if I had an SE it would be a totally different story. The tails aren't exactly black to begin with, but look sportier with SE rims. Heh, and that "listen to a female" comment was funny... I bet guys don't listen to women 99% of the time when it comes to cars anyway.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:47 PM
retired moderator

I bet guys don't listen to women 99% of the time when it comes to cars anyway.
well, I don't (of course I'm married and my wife really is not interested in my car - she likes hers better)....but alot of these single guys on here should listen to the women. I mean, are you trying to impress a bunch of grease-monkey dudes, or you tryin' to impress women? I would think the choice is clear....

I just had to post something to get you back into the routine of posting responses to me
Old 09-15-2004, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Max20SE00
Hey triangle man, i dont know if you got my PM but I wrote you one. I live in Jensen Beach, FL and have a 2000 SE. Not too many people on the org on the treasure coast. how did you manage through hurricane frances?
We did good, no damage to my house or my mom's house. My stepdad did blow up my 27" Toshiba hooking up the generator though trying to get that fixed and whatnot. The next door neighbor to my mom had his whole screened porch cave in and my grandparents in palm city had their entire house flooded. It's looking like a month before it's liveable again.

I was going to move on the car before the hurricane but since it was coming it was stupid to buy the car and risk having damage done to it. Now it is sitting safely in my driveway
Old 09-15-2004, 09:08 PM

Ah irish you and your sassy remarks...

If I could only use the fact that I'm a girl to convince 2 guys to keep their tail lights the way they are, I would be happy because their cars would look the way I think is beautiful. But the cars are theirs, so much I can do
Old 09-16-2004, 03:35 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by .45
Gee .45.....that'll look great!

Hmmmm...I wonder where you got the idea?? hehehe
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 AM

I was going to use nite shades to paint my taillights on my 2k (red looking tail). You said it looks hedious on any color besides black and grey luster. You are also a girl, that's why i gave up. I left it looks the way it is. Do you really think it looks bad on sterling mist?

Ah irish you and your sassy remarks...

If I could only use the fact that I'm a girl to convince 2 guys to keep their tail lights the way they are, I would be happy because their cars would look the way I think is beautiful. But the cars are theirs, so much I can do
Old 09-16-2004, 04:29 AM

Maximadmoiselle, btw..I found the guy you were talking about the NIB HIDs. He's selling whole bunch brand new HID on ebay now..$589 something for a set and almost $300 for either side, he lives in FL. hehehe, I'm getting one by the end of this year, I need a new drums kit as well. hehe
Old 09-16-2004, 05:09 AM

Hey man good luck i just got a 2000 a few weeks ago 90,000 miles trouble free!! I hope you have good luck! I would first change the oil and transmission fluids, rotate the tires, and give it a good wash/wax. also add meguiars gold class leather protectant to the seats, and armor all the inside. Thats what I did! Im gonna replace the radio soon and get tints. Post pics!!!!! -Jon 2000 Silver 5-spd "GT-R"
Old 09-16-2004, 05:21 AM

Yes pictures will come tonight, I am at least gonna take some at lunchtime today, my camera is in the car. I would have yesterday but with all the stuff I had to do (get my old license tag from my old car, go to discount auto and buy some cleaning ****) I ran out of daylight. I must say that the auto lights caught me off guard, it was still pretty light out and all of a sudden my radio gets really dim. Took me a second to figure out the lights had come on. I love the HID's too, hopefully being in a small town will keep them safe.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by UGAd13

Just the opposite here in New Joisey! I opted to leave the 3rd light operational on purpose....1 more light to wake people up behind you so they don't rear-end you.....

And guess what.....I still got rear-ended!!!!

Leave the brake light on!

thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 11:40 AM

All GLEs with spoilers have the 3rd brake light inside the car too. Just stick to the family

Bl_asd, I can't figure out how you remember what I said! Haha, well take a peek

Unfortunately, there are some colors (yours and mine included) that the red tails don't look good on. But I still like them better on sterling mist than the smoked ones. I remember the first time I ever saw a 5th gen, I thought nice car but why those ugly smoked tails on a light color? I still don't like them except on a grey/black Max. It's just a matter of taste, if you really like it, do it by all means If I were you, I'd rather spend the $$ on the '03 tails because they look better to me. I personally didnt have a choice with my car because neither the red nor the smoked tails look good...
Old 09-16-2004, 02:20 PM

i have seen you on offtopic.com before

i am not stalking you, i swear
Old 09-16-2004, 02:41 PM

well..i want the 2k2 tails..smoked was cheaper but since a female's opinion counts the most,I rather leave it as the way it is . i rather spend my money on intake and interior...i wanna do shift console swap like irish did. now i am waiting for gauge and led bulbs, I got sharpie already.. next thing is those maintance fluid and belts, sparks...sigh...pain in the *** when my baby ages so fast... here's an weird idea..Maximadmoiselle, ur car is green right? imagine you paint the red tail green instead of smoked to march your car paint..how it sounds to you?

oh btw..I have 3rd mounted brake light and spoiler on my max...4 lights when i brake...really cool....

All GLEs with spoilers have the 3rd brake light inside the car too. Just stick to the family

Bl_asd, I can't figure out how you remember what I said! Haha, well take a peek

Unfortunately, there are some colors (yours and mine included) that the red tails don't look good on. But I still like them better on sterling mist than the smoked ones. I remember the first time I ever saw a 5th gen, I thought nice car but why those ugly smoked tails on a light color? I still don't like them except on a grey/black Max. It's just a matter of taste, if you really like it, do it by all means If I were you, I'd rather spend the $$ on the '03 tails because they look better to me. I personally didnt have a choice with my car because neither the red nor the smoked tails look good...

Quick Reply: By this time tomorrow I'll be driving a 2002 GLE home