5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP: manual transmission shift sensor, plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:51 PM
It's business time.

HELP: manual transmission shift sensor, plug

When trying to change my gear oil I broke the sensor (black plastic plug thing that plugs into the transmission). I need a new sensor/plug with the wire going all the way up.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these FAST! Maybe I can get one sent out. How much money?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:54 PM
It's business time.

See, this is the reason why I don't do routine maintenance and other stuff on my car myself. Every time I try to do work on my car, something ends up breaking. I have a really bad track record when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:42 AM
It's business time.

Bump. I took my car to the dealer and it's sitting there. I'm afraid they are going to charge me out the butt for a new sensor and labor. What should I do?
Old 09-19-2004, 07:55 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

if you do not want the dealer to touch it, then call dave burnette @ 888-254-6060. pay for overnight or 2 day delivery and save yourself the labor charge. he can probably get the part cheaper as well. i am not sure on price but it would not hurt to get his quote.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:40 AM
It's business time.

First I'll find out what the dealer needs to do. I tried to unplug the other end of the wire which is actually bracketed to the top of the tranny housing. I tried to get the bolt off, but it is on so tight that I nearly stripped it. Do you think there is any way I can cut the wire and splice it with the new sensor/plug. Do you know what I'm talking about, BTW?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:22 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by ABDomega
First I'll find out what the dealer needs to do. I tried to unplug the other end of the wire which is actually bracketed to the top of the tranny housing. I tried to get the bolt off, but it is on so tight that I nearly stripped it. Do you think there is any way I can cut the wire and splice it with the new sensor/plug. Do you know what I'm talking about, BTW?
only experience i had was helping a 4th gen guy out when he went to MT-90. that was back in college about 2.5 years ago so to be honest, i cannot really recall the schematics of it.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:30 AM
It's business time.

I really wish they didn't design it like they did but it's a hard black plastic plug with an o-ring gasket that also acts as a sensor with a wire that is threaded up to the top of the transmission case. At the end of the wire is a connector that is bracketed to the case. Then another connector is plugged into it.

I guess what I really should do is just have Dave B send me a new one of these (I hope they aren't too expensive), if he has them. Then I will just plug it in and run it along with the hold wire and just tie wrap it to it to keep it in place and plug it into the other connector.

Do you know if the car has to have an ECU flash if a new sensor is installed?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:33 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

I really wish they didn't design it like they did but it's a hard black plastic plug with an o-ring gasket that also acts as a sensor with a wire that is threaded up to the top of the transmission case. At the end of the wire is a connector that is bracketed to the case. Then another connector is plugged into it.

I guess what I really should do is just have Dave B send me a new one of these (I hope they aren't too expensive), if he has them. Then I will just plug it in and run it along with the hold wire and just tie wrap it to it to keep it in place and plug it into the other connector.

there should be no flash required. only parts ive seen where nissan had a flash was where they actually changed parts of the programming. those were for the new maf, tsb on secondary o2 sensors and a new ecu.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:40 AM
It's business time.

OK, thanks, will the dealer call me before they need to do anything that I will be charged for? I really think that if I can get the part myself I can plug it in and wire it myself.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:43 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

OK, thanks, will the dealer call me before they need to do anything that I will be charged for? I really think that if I can get the part myself I can plug it in and wire it myself.
you have to authorize any work that you would be charged for. however, if the cel went off due to the sensor being damaged, they may try to charge a diagnostic fee, typically around 65-80 bucks. if they spend some time figuring out the repair, they are going to want something out of it.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:53 AM
It's business time.

Yeah, they better not run a diagnostic, they usually are $85 around here. It's not like I don't know what the problem is, they should know too, I wrote a note and put it in the car. I know if if they try to fix it they will charge me a lot, probably $100-120 for labor.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:20 PM

I do have the switch/sensor in stock for $15.94- It should be just plug & play- worst case you may have to dis-connect the battey for a little while. Give me a call tomorrow & I'll get you fixed up!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:28 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by DAVEB
I do have the switch/sensor in stock for $15.94- It should be just plug & play- worst case you may have to dis-connect the battey for a little while. Give me a call tomorrow & I'll get you fixed up!
So does that include the gear lube drain plug with the sensor in it AND hole for the the bolt ANDwire that runs up to the top of the housing with the connector at the other end? That whole thing is only $15.94? It looks like it would be a lot more. Anyway, thanks Dave, I will definitely give you a call sometime tomorrow on a break, or are you open before 8 a.m.?
Old 09-19-2004, 03:42 PM

So does that include the gear lube drain plug with the sensor in it AND hole for the the bolt ANDwire that runs up to the top of the housing with the connector at the other end? That whole thing is only $15.94? It looks like it would be a lot more. Anyway, thanks Dave, I will definitely give you a call sometime tomorrow on a break, or are you open before 8 a.m.?
The sensor is all 1 piece and does come with a small harness & plug. Send me an e-mail @ daveb@adpub.com & I'll scan you a copy of the diagram. I'll get to my desk just at or a little before 8:00AM, CST.