5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is this component?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 05:17 PM
retired moderator

What is this component?

Hey guys.....I keep seeing this round thing in the car, but don't know what it is. If you sit in the driver's seat it's directly in front of you and has a nissan logo in the "hub" of it. In this pic, it's on the left: What does this thing do?

my point is.....there's alot of really stupid, really basic questions and ultra-reposts being posted in the last few weeks. I know there's alot of newbies here (we were all newbies once) but there are many resources in the FAQ area that can answer most of these questions (i.e. How much horsepower does a 2002 maxima have? etc...) without starting new threads and wasting bandwidth (like I'm doing here) ....I mean, you can find out the HP of a maxima on about a million places online if you do a google search...Not singling out that particular question, but comeon guys, how about looking around a little before you ask a simple/basic questions.

Yea I'm being a biatch. Oh well...needs to be said.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:22 PM

you just wasted bandwidth w/this thread.

J/K i know what u mean
Old 09-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man, you just wasted 30 seconds of my life. That's awfully thoughtful of you! Now go back to Home Depot, you have some mods to make...
Old 09-18-2004, 05:50 PM
retired moderator

hey I gotta take a break from home-depot how to's every once in a while to b1tch about things......I've made my share of constructive posts I think
Old 09-18-2004, 05:54 PM
mjg

honestly, i see where you are going with this, but it still doesn't justify bashing, or putting people down. We are no better then them, and the site is no more ours then it is theirs. I don't feel we have any right (as not being moderators) to tell people how and what to post. This is my .02 cents.

If this was a board designed for experts only, it wouldn't be a public forum.
I think alot in this forum, even down to some of these emitocons is inspired by the fact that people here take it upon themselves to put people down our splash insults, an aspect of the forum that makes it both immature, and irratating. I like this place when it's good, when i see someone getting attacked because they ask a question, i wonder, why does this guy feel the need to push someone around?

Anyways, this is in the wrong forum (should be in general discussion) Yet, it's not my buisness what you do after all : P

p.s This is among 3 forums i frequent, and in both other forums, people find ways to be courteous and even helpful, when they think someone is uneducated, or just seeking help. I'm sure some can find the time and patience necessary to just IGNORE something they don't want to see.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:12 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by mjg
honestly, i see where you are going with this, but it still doesn't justify bashing, or putting people down. We are no better then them, and the site is no more ours then it is theirs. I don't feel we have any right (as not being moderators) to tell people how and what to post. This is my .02 cents.

If this was a board designed for experts only, it wouldn't be a public forum.
I think alot in this forum, even down to some of these emitocons is inspired by the fact that people here take it upon themselves to put people down our splash insults, an aspect of the forum that makes it both immature, and irratating. I like this place when it's good, when i see someone getting attacked because they ask a question, i wonder, why does this guy feel the need to push someone around?

Anyways, this is in the wrong forum (should be in general discussion) Yet, it's not my buisness what you do after all : P

p.s This is among 3 forums i frequent, and in both other forums, people find ways to be courteous and even helpful, when they think someone is uneducated, or just seeking help. I'm sure some can find the time and patience necessary to just IGNORE something they don't want to see.
mjg,
I agree with you in principle and *almost all* of the time I will answer basic questions for people without any flaming...occasionally if I'm in a bad mood I'll flame (as we all occasionally do). I've asked my share of dumb questions as well, but have also given long, detailed answers to other peoples' questions (as well as posting how-to's for others' benefits on my website).

I just have noticed recently that alot of the people who used to post alot of useful things, idead, insightful questions, etc. have gone away from the org (or don't visit very often) and can't help but think that's because there's alot of people re-posting old and oft-discussed topics or asking questions that could easily be found on edmunds.com or something, and not that many people posting new/interesting ideas andhow-to's. Point in question I don't see nearly as much stuff from guys like housecor any more who used to post tons of how-to's and such.

I certainly don't consider myself an "expert" on the maxima, but do my part to research questions independently before asking. If I can't find an answer already out there....THEN I will ask.

no, that doesn't justify flaming, but I'm sure you've flamed once or twice yourself at some point and people should know that we're just kidding around, not trying to be hateful or saying 'go away'.

Your parents discipline you because they love you. Org members "discipline" the newbies because we love them.....(ok, not love, but "like" them )

peace
Old 09-18-2004, 06:18 PM
It's business time.

I don't think Soonerfan would be cool with you using his pic of his car on your strange thread.

Did you ask him?

JK
Old 09-18-2004, 06:59 PM
mjg

you know, some of the experts (not to name names) have taken quite kindly to my dumb questions...

I think alot of the more experienced people (some are very tempermental, not to name names as well) have found other things to do with their time as well. I cannot corelate the coincidance, but i'll put it this way... I pretty much found this place alot more pleasant, after certain people characteristic of flaming (again not naming names) are banned.

There are remenants of that, and that's what discouraged me from posting alot here. If you notice i've been here for a bit, just because i don't have 2000 posts next to my name doesn't make me some noob (though i'll get treated as such, because i'm not 50 posts a the day, flame bate, nasty person)

I do not attack people, and if i was rude, i'd be the first to apologize. I don't think you are either, in fact i totally didn't have you in mind when i mentioned that.

I think in the last few months of being here, if anything, maxima.org has somewhat improved. I also feel it's new caretaker is keeping the site pristine.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i can't foresee any less n00bish posts as a result of this thread.. i mean seriously, what are the chances that a newcomer (that allegedly posts question that THEY need help on) will go to this thread where you claim that YOU need help on.

plus, it's a constant cycle...we were all noobs once, and in fact, relative to others, we still are major n00bs with our questions...

i say just leave them be...if u dont like the thread, nobody's forcing u to visit it
Old 09-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Mauja He Mauja

irish,

you just wanted to start the stinky stuff
Old 09-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Slow night Irish? Don't you have anything better to do?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:34 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by KashThaRipper
i can't foresee any less n00bish posts as a result of this thread.. i mean seriously, what are the chances that a newcomer (that allegedly posts question that THEY need help on) will go to this thread where you claim that YOU need help on.

plus, it's a constant cycle...we were all noobs once, and in fact, relative to others, we still are major n00bs with our questions...

i say just leave them be...if u dont like the thread, nobody's forcing u to visit it
that's a good point (all 3 of them)....I was basically just venting.

Originally Posted by mgj
There are remenants of that, and that's what discouraged me from posting alot here. If you notice i've been here for a bit, just because i don't have 2000 posts next to my name doesn't make me some noob (though i'll get treated as such, because i'm not 50 posts a the day, flame bate, nasty person)
never would think you were...I always look a the date of joining, not the # of posts. I \ have alot of posts because I'm married, have a declining social life, and live vicariously through the org members that can actually afford all the mods that I WANT to have but can't justify to the wife

Originally Posted by 0eric2
Slow night Irish? Don't you have anything better to do?
I was just waiting to go out drinking when I started this thread..killing time. Now I am home. 3 double Jacks to top off the evening and my boy BB drove the max home (he has an auto 01 max, so he's allowed to drive my baby). With my blood-alcohol level up higher, this thread seems kind of silly now...

Originally Posted by ZIPPINN-
you just wanted to start the stinky stuff

Originally Posted by ABDomega
I don't think Soonerfan would be cool with you using his pic of his car on your strange thread.

Did you ask him?
believe it or not, I could not find a pic of my steering wheel.....

...and I never ask permission of Jason - half the pics on his site were taken by my camera (the ones that aren't crappy camera-phone pics)
Old 09-19-2004, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
believe it or not, I could not find a pic of my steering wheel.....

...and I never ask permission of Jason - half the pics on his site were taken by my camera (the ones that aren't crappy camera-phone pics)
Well, here it is I think those saturday nights are a bit too much to handle

And irish what's up with you posting pics of autotragics? Not only is it an autotragic, it's GLE.... could have found a more representative one, buddy..

(no offence to Jason whatsoever )
Old 09-19-2004, 03:21 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I agree with irish. There have been a bunch of "basic" type threads recently. A lot of the time I'll look at the thread title and pass it by. Later I'll usually go back and read it. Yeah, we were all noobs at one point....just go back and look at your own first posts. The longer I'm here, the dumber mine look.

IMO, flaming these new posts is the easy way out. If new members don't feel welcome, they won't come back. Most times I'll try to offer a bit of info and guide them toward some answers. Since I can search, I'm not sure if that's available now to non-donating members.

It's been mentioned before, but it would be great if there were a banner or something that would be obvious enough, especially to new members, that they search or scroll a few pages to try to find answers before posting. Or maybe itemize some of the info in the FAQ's with headings like "Intake Info", "Suspension Info" and the like.