5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAF sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF sensor replacement

I just had my MAF sensor replaced and corresponding sw upgrade for my 2000 at a local dealer. Unfortunately I could not take advantage of the advice given here to save money as I need this vehicle for work and wanted it fixed asap.

My car has about 130k kms on it. It has demonstrated the following symtoms for the past few months while the check engine light has just recently come on. It was sluggish across the rev band and had extreme difficulty pulling past 4k in higher gears. While the engine was cold it hesitated from a stop. The car shifted (auto) extremely hard (with a bang!) from 1st to 2nd under full throttle.

Upon replacement of the MAF sensor all of the symtoms cleared up. Most suprisingly the shifting is better than it has ever been, seamless. I believe my SW upgrade was only to complement the new MAF sensor, so Is the new shifting is a result of the MAF sensor or SW or both? who knows. The shifting on the car was never this good as it always had a very noticable shift from 1st to 2nd. The dealer didn't charge for the SW upgrade for the MAF sensor replacement acknowledging they know they have some problems with these units and have issued a new one. The engine feels as strong as it has ever been.

I just though I'd pass along my symtoms and result from the MAF sensor replacement.

Thks
Old 09-24-2004, 12:27 PM

Did your engine ever stall after startup? Did the power dip at 3.5k RPM? How much did the MAF replacement and reprogram cost? I may need to get mine done and am trying to avoid paying the dealer tons of money for parts.