5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

People w/Front BBK, any kind-REAR BBK for you

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

People w/Front BBK, any kind-REAR BBK for you

This is a heads up for everyone with a front BBK of any kind. Matt93SE has a REAR BBK for 4th and 5th Gen Maxima's, and is running a group buy on them now, and time is running short for initial buy in discounts. Here's the thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=337346

I have both his front and rear BBK's, fronts since 01/2004, the rears since 05/2004. The stopping power is awesome! Plus got rid of the warped front rotors that were a constant nuisance-plus the image factor is a big plus for me too. Either way, want more stopping ability, better brake bias, etc, etc....check out Matt's kits while the group buy is still going on.

Any questions, just ask.

Mike
Old 10-06-2004, 03:56 PM
scopium

hows the front bbk.. are u with stock calipers.. i'm considering to do the upgrade ..
i dont want to deal with the warping anymore.. i'm on my 3rd set of rotors.. my pads oulast my rotors..

Old 10-06-2004, 04:26 PM

I've got the 300ZX front calipers, with about 9k miles on them, about 4k on the backs. Problems have been Zero, even with Matt and I really beating on them to fully test everything. I understand the feeling, pads were outlasting my stock rotors too. That issue is now history. Here's a pic I took when we were doing the fronts to show the real problem with the stock front rotors. The small rotors were my stock fronts compared to the new '04 Maxima rotors we installed. And now combined with the back BBK.........awesome

Old 10-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

kwd,

what kind of pads do you use?

~limsandy
Old 10-06-2004, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by limsandy
kwd,

what kind of pads do you use?

~limsandy
Wagner Thermo Quiet, semi-metallic. Pretty conservative, and at the local O'Reilly, they have a life time warranty. And since I have both the front and rear BBK, they are for a 300zx.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 AM
I miss the .org!

I'd love to get it, and I'm not saying it's not worth the price, it's just far too expensive...
Old 10-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Maxima Pilot

I'm with the Sol-man.......too much moohlah...for that amount of $$$, I'ld much rather have the Cattman headers.

BTW, I have not experienced a problem with too much front brake bias with my Wilwood kit.....yes, the fronts will tend to lock before the rears -but that's the way its supposed to be...
Old 10-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Galo
BTW, I have not experienced a problem with too much front brake bias with my Wilwood kit.....yes, the fronts will tend to lock before the rears -but that's the way its supposed to be...
Yes, to a certain degree, the front is supposed to get more of the braking done.

I, too, have the BBK Z fronts and will be (eventually ) getting the backs. The fronts lock up WAY to early (I have sinced learned a better braking technique that prevents most of the time lockin em up), and I have some serious nose dive. Its very clear that the bias is MUCH different in my car. Not having driven a 5th gen with Wilwoods, I cant make a comparison as to bias between the Z and the Wilwoods.

If you ask, check out and SEE what all changes on the rear BBK. Maybe Matt can hook you up with some pics. I have followed this project pretty closely, and its not trivial what has gone into it time and money wise. Peoples priorities are different (meaning some want headers, some want brakes, some want Turbos, some want SC's), but I think its unfair to publically say its to much money for what you get. If you know what went INTO it, and what all has to be replaced, you might sing a different tune.

Just my .02, for what its worth.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Colonel
........its not trivial what has gone into it time and money wise. Peoples priorities are different (meaning some want headers, some want brakes, some want Turbos, some want SC's), but I think its unfair to publically say its to much money for what you get. If you know what went INTO it, and what all has to be replaced, you might sing a different tune.

Just my .02, for what its worth.
Hey, Colonel.....I agree with you -this thing is awesome! And I did not say it's too much money for what you get, i just said it's too much money... the 'for what you get'....that's you putting words in my mouth, I think.

I said that for that amount of money -and because I dont have a problem with the front/rear bias- I would rather get the headers....on that one, you are 100% correct, that would be my (perhaps different) priority
Old 10-07-2004, 07:52 AM

A little pricey, yes, too expensive, no way. Old saying, "you get what you pay for". As much as we have all spent on mods, this is just not that big a deal. Just the peace of mind of getting rid of the pitiful stock system was worth it.

The front bias issues/% front to back depends on which kit and which calipers, and even what piston size in the calipers you choose. Anyone with 300ZX calipers, or any calipers with total piston area close to the 300's will move the bias heavily to the front. Matt has the exact #'s. My car with just the front kit would dive dramatically on hard stops, and I've got Eibach's. Not any more with the rear kit on too. The car stops as level as it did with the stock brakes.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Galo
Hey, Colonel.....I agree with you -this thing is awesome! And I did not say it's too much money for what you get, i just said it's too much money... the 'for what you get'....that's you putting words in my mouth, I think.

I said that for that amount of money -and because I dont have a problem with the front/rear bias- I would rather get the headers....on that one, you are 100% correct, that would be my (perhaps different) priority
Sorry about that, didnt want to put words in your mouth. I was in the middle of trying to edit my post to not point directly at "you", but work got in the middle of it. Sorry 'bout that.

Spending money on a car is a matter of priorities. And you stated, fairly, that is was not your priority. I just wanted to get a jump on the people (not you) that are going to pull the typical .ORG penny pinching I want everything for free.

Sorry about the misinterpretation.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Colonel
Sorry 'bout that....I just wanted to get a jump on the people (not you) that are going to pull the typical .ORG penny pinching I want everything for free.
No problema -thanks for the message.

It is indeed a beautiful kit....an impressive engineering job....

Old 10-07-2004, 08:58 AM

The rear BBK is much more complicated than the front because of ABS and emergecy brake. Matt had to do a ton of fabricating for this project and I think it's worth the money. I'm getting both kits from him.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:20 PM

Yes, it was a bunch of engineering, untold hours of research on the internet, at the Nissan parts/service/new car dealer, lots of trips I made to Matt's house for fab work on my car, several set up fees for the fab shop, who knows how many times we tore the back brakes off my car to check, recheck, recheck, recheck......the road trips/testing the brakes were a lot of fun though. But boy, is it worth it!!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for posting your experience.

Originally Posted by kwd2kSE
A little pricey, yes, too expensive, no way. Old saying, "you get what you pay for". As much as we have all spent on mods, this is just not that big a deal. Just the peace of mind of getting rid of the pitiful stock system was worth it.

The front bias issues/% front to back depends on which kit and which calipers, and even what piston size in the calipers you choose. Anyone with 300ZX calipers, or any calipers with total piston area close to the 300's will move the bias heavily to the front. Matt has the exact #'s. My car with just the front kit would dive dramatically on hard stops, and I've got Eibach's. Not any more with the rear kit on too. The car stops as level as it did with the stock brakes.