5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004 | 06:36 PM

2 questions

Ok. i just got a 2000 maxima after having a POS honda. I have 2 questions to start with.

1) I am installing my stereo system and i was wondering how i can safely run my power wire from the battery to my trunk. I do not want to drill the firewall nor do i have access to a lift or any way to get under the car. Is there a simple way through the firewall i am just not seeing? Possible to see pics maybe?

2) At about 35k RPM's i notice a lag out almost like the car is going to stall but it doens't. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe know how to fix it?

Please help i'm a new Maxima owner.
Old 10-17-2004 | 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome, enjoy the ride.

Greg
Old 10-17-2004 | 06:46 PM

you can get through the firewall through the grommet that the steering column goes through... You take out the wheel liner in the driver side wheel well and you will see the rubber grommet in the wheel well. just poke through that with something sharp and run your wire through. Then go inside the car and feel around under the dash in the direction of that grommet and pull the wire through... no drilling required.
Old 10-17-2004 | 06:49 PM

there is a grommet in the firewall right under the master brake cylinder. you will need to poke the rubber and slide ur power wire through there. It will appear above the dead pedal.

as for youe other problem, i had a bad spark plug but it could be coils or a failing MAF.
Old 10-17-2004 | 07:00 PM

so how to i get inside of the hood in these locations. I am not an engine expert but am a wiz at installing these systems. and i will be feeding the wire from the engine bay into the car?
Old 10-17-2004 | 07:05 PM

it'll be pretty self explanatory when you see it, just look from the wheel well and you'll see it.
Old 10-18-2004 | 07:58 AM
drag racing is for wussies

As far as your 3500RPM hesitation, sounds like a MAF problem. Seems like alot of odd problems with drivability come from bad MAFs. Make sure to have the ECU re-programmed at Nissan for the newest MAF program. Check the coils- white dots on each coil mean they are new updated design.
Old 10-18-2004 | 05:18 PM

as for removing the wheel well cover...that is becomming a pain. I found a hole in the wheel well where it can go through into the engine bay but i havne't taken off the entire cover to see where it goes into the car...any suggestions for removing it? there are 2 screws on the right side looking at the front driver side tire and 1 on the bottom. There is also a plug which is why i wasn't able to get it off. Is that a screw or can i just pull on it hard enough to pull it out? Thx for your answers all.
Old 10-18-2004 | 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by merovi
as for removing the wheel well cover...that is becomming a pain. I found a hole in the wheel well where it can go through into the engine bay but i havne't taken off the entire cover to see where it goes into the car...any suggestions for removing it? there are 2 screws on the right side looking at the front driver side tire and 1 on the bottom. There is also a plug which is why i wasn't able to get it off. Is that a screw or can i just pull on it hard enough to pull it out? Thx for your answers all.
I dont remember exactly but i think there is a screw underneath like where the cover goes under the car near the door... or did you get that one already? the plug was what gave me the most problems... just pretty much pry it off i think.
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:03 PM

OK, after taking much time to look and find what i think was the rubber piece u were tlaking about. I couldn't poke through it. Maybe i there is something special to use that makes it easier i am unaware of but i couldn't do it with i had. I hope it was even the right place. There was something else running into the rubber wrapped in black plastic. but since i couldn't do it i decided that it would atleast be better to run it this way.

Someone please let me know if this is safe or if i can really **** my **** up. It that is the case i will try harder but it seems to me this will work. there is clearence in between the door for the wire so the only place it is touching anyhting is when the 2 rubber sealers meet and i dont think that would harm it. Any lemme know.
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:45 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

OMG...those must be some HUGE door speakers....LOL!

Click on my sig man...you'll see the light...er hole.
Old 10-19-2004 | 04:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Those wires are kinda fat, but as long as the metal outside doesn't squeeze it, you'd probably be alright. Except, of course, for the fact that somebody getting in/out of the car might tell you it looks terrible. (sorry, but it's just not that neat of an approach)
Old 10-19-2004 | 06:57 PM

well i tried using a pen to poke through that hole but i couldn't get through. Any ideas of what i should use to get through it? cause it would be much better running it that way..i know it looks like crap but it works.

It is also 4 gauge wiring because i am running 2 amps. a kicker 600.1 and a 350 watt alpine amp. that wire has to be big enough to support the power.