5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem W/Rear brake caliper piston

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 05:01 PM

Problem W/Rear brake caliper piston

Hey all,

I am trying to replace the rotors and pads... the front went real quick. The left rear however is a different story. I cannot get the piston pushed very far at all (I am using a piston compressor)... no where near where it needs to be to fit. I even disconnected the e brake cable. The cap is also off the resevoir. Can someone please tell me if I am missing something? This is driving me NUTS!!!

Thanks,
Wade
Old 10-22-2004, 05:05 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you have to turn them like a screw.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:07 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

get some big plyers or some plumers plyers and screw them in. do not try to force them any more. turn them they spin.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:38 PM
ignotum per ignotius

Rotate the piston like he said. It's because the rear brakes are self-adjusting. They adjust outward as the pads wear, so the parking brake will engage properly.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:36 PM

THANKS you guys!! I dont know how to thank you!! This did the trick. I put 4 Stillen cross drilled rotors on it... they look good but the back keft side must be rubbing slightly because it is roasting hot, and I have more brake travel than I should. This is aggravating, but thanks to you all I can at least drive it. I think I am just going to bring it up to CarX in the morning and have them take a look at it. Again THANKS for the fast reply!!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks slammed95. I took it back apart last night and saw what you mentioned... sure enough mine was not in the slot... I fixed that, and it is better but I still get a rubing sound on the left rear, and it still gets hot, but not as bad as it did before. DO you have any ideas of what else I might check? I could maybe check the other side to to see if that is making the left work over. If you have any other ideas, I would certainly be greatful... just let me know where to send the beer!

Wade
Old 10-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Bleed your brakes, flush the fluid completely with new fluid. If thats done correctly, you should have a very nice firm brake pedal. If may also correct your rear uneven brake issue.

You also may have damaged one of the rear calipers by pusing it in without turning it. Check the operation of both rear calipers by pressing the brake pedal once while the caliper is off the pad. Then screw the piston back in. Do this on both sides one time to make sure both calipers are working correctly. Don't push the pedal more then one time or you might push the piston completely out of the caliper.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:42 PM

Will do njmaxseltd... thanks for the response! I screwed it up last night by not realizing the piston needed to be screwed in... I know it cam out just about as far as it could, but... it did screw in okay, and came back out okay. I didnt see any brake fluid when it came out, so I hope that is a good sign. I am going to do what you recommeded... bleed the brakes and see if that helps. I am getting married next week and heading down to the Keys from St. Louis, while pulling an 04 SeaDoo... this is bad timing, but at leat there is still time to work on it. Tonight is my bachelor party, and if all goes well I will have the day to work on it tomorrow. I will let ya know what happens. Thanks again!!
Old 10-24-2004, 07:35 PM

Thanks again for everyones help on this... I had some time tonight to work on this some more and got it fixed. I think there may have been 2 problems, but the main one being the noise caused by a plate on the inside top of the caliper that was scraping the top of the rotor slightly. This may have been causing all the heat, but I also took off the other side and measured the the piston distance. The right side's piston was about 19 thousands of an inch retracted fromt he left side. I equaled them up and put it all back together and everything works great. Again thanks to all!!

Wade
Old 10-26-2004, 02:48 PM

Crap... the heat came back. I put a new caliper on and problem solved... after driving 10 miles, the left side is now 128 degrees, and the right is 129... cant beat that! The scraping is still gone also thanks to bending the heat shield a bit.