5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is Nissan a Biotch about mods being on their cars and voiding the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 05:50 PM

The reason why i ask this is b/c we have a accord....and i'm pretty sure that everyone knows that Honda's are modded very often....so they are pretty lenient about the warranty.
I have springs, intake, and pullies installed on our accord and the dealer doesn't care.

I know someone that had a Maxima, and his warranty was voided just b/c he took it to the track(racing), WTF!!!!! Damn NISSAN, lighten up. Would any of these things void a warranty? Short shifter, tranny cooler, RSB, UPD, new clutch
Old 04-14-2001, 06:05 PM

I called the dealership where I bought my car from and talked with the service manager. He said my warrenty would be good, as long as the aftermarket part I bought didn't effect any stock parts. So, I would guess it is entirely upto the service department. It is hard to argue that your aftermarket part caused other stock parts to fail. And with the way service departments run, no offense to anyone, I would bet they would say you are SOL. Having the 75K mile warrenty makes me un-easy to do some things to the car. BUT, if it is a certified Nissan aftermarket part, then it is all good.
Old 04-14-2001, 10:39 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

ok ok, I'm only gonna say this ONE MORE TIME:

The warranty is only void if the dealer can prove that the aftermarket part CAUSED the problem in question.

This is federal law. Don't let any dealer try to tell you different, if they do, go to another one or call Nissan USA and get them to give the service manager a little call too.
Old 04-14-2001, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

The warranty is only void if the dealer can prove that the aftermarket part CAUSED the problem in question.

This is federal law. Don't let any dealer try to tell you different, if they do, go to another one or call Nissan USA and get them to give the service manager a little call too.
Just because that's the law doesn't mean dealers don't make it more difficult. So if you're going in for warranty repairs and you have a mod that could be construed (sp?) as the cause, you may wanna remove it... i.e. take your sub out if you're complaining about rattles.
Old 04-14-2001, 10:45 PM

Dealerships aren't supposed to refuse a warranty repair unless they can prove that your modifications caused the problem. If a dealership gives you $hit, try to find another one that has a Service Manager that knows this.
Old 04-15-2001, 08:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg

Exactly. Plus, I'm on my second one from two seperate dealers around here -- and basically I'd say don't play hardball unless you have to -- be their buddy. Keep them involved/informed in the process. When you're in there, talk about mods you're thinkin about, etc. Get their input. Make them feel like they are part of the process. It worked with my Nissan dealer for my Max -- my service manager was just plain INTO my Max. He liked it, warranty service was never a problem.

My Infiniti dealer has been a little more problematic, but with the proper nudging we are on the right track. I have never been denied warranty service.
Old 04-15-2001, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by acitrano

Exactly. Plus, I'm on my second one from two seperate dealers around here -- and basically I'd say don't play hardball unless you have to -- be their buddy. Keep them involved/informed in the process. When you're in there, talk about mods you're thinkin about, etc. Get their input. Make them feel like they are part of the process. It worked with my Nissan dealer for my Max -- my service manager was just plain INTO my Max. He liked it, warranty service was never a problem.

My Infiniti dealer has been a little more problematic, but with the proper nudging we are on the right track. I have never been denied warranty service.
I totally second this.. you get more bees with honey than with turds.. or however the saying goes. I've worked customer service before and you always want to do more for the nice guy than the jack@ss. Plus I get worried if they are forced to work on my car... what might "accidently" get broken?
Old 08-14-2001, 02:13 AM

They basically told me " NOOOOOOOOOOO" about changing any part of the exhaust system, down to the tips, and "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" about installing an intake, and "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" about installing a chipset, etc.

should i try to talk to some guy who is higher up on the business ladder there? or what. I feel jealous already, all of a sudden having "stock" sounds like you got "$hit"

of course, I think that the stock intake on the 5th gen maxima is pretty good, such that installing another intake won't increase HP much beyond 2hp extra.

ps
at least the guy said that bolt-on parts like the strut tower bars are cool.
Old 08-14-2001, 05:39 AM
RussMaxManiac

Well, dealers can be hard but he is right, they have to prove it. I had suspension on my 98, Exhaust, and Intake. They gave me **** about it, but never stopped working on the car. It was mainly the intake they gave me crap about, the exhaust and suspension they weren't upset about. Since every mother, father, kid has a honda that is modded in some way, lol the dealers really have no choice in fixing the cars, but not many people have modded Nissan's, and thats what I like in a way, since we are not know as the rice community

Old 08-14-2001, 12:20 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
since we are not know as the rice community
what about the 2002 altezza's coming out
Old 12-05-2001, 08:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey would the dealer say something if you have side markers and other lights put on?
Old 12-05-2001, 10:17 AM
RussMaxManiac

Well let me see how I can explain this good.

I went back in 98 to a dealer locally to get my car looked at. The clutch pedal was getting stuck on the floor at 7k of miles. Well, I took it in because it was under 12k of miles. They took it apart, found the flywheel had burn marks on it, and the pressure plate had a broken tooth. They said the car was raced and would not cover this. I argued for 2 days with them. One of there co-workers saw me at the track about 3 days before that running the car. Dealer calls me, says they won't cover the tranny anymore or drive-train due to me racing it. And I was like what/!?!? MAking up crap, saying they had pictures of me, etc. Well, they showed me the proof, and showed me where it states in the owners manual if the car is racing, etc warranty will be voided. It's in the owners manual that the car can not be under any type of racing conditions.

Anyways, I got rid of that car about 20k later, but that solved my no warranty issue. Ever since I have been careful when I take the car into this dealer to get it fixed. These days I do not get the crap I use too, and seem to treat me really well.

I recommend removing mods that affect performance and be careful where you are at if you run at the track, you take a chance of getting caught.

Old 12-05-2001, 10:30 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
It's in the owners manual that the car can not be under any type of racing conditions.
really??

I'll have to read through and see if I can find anything like that in my honduh warranty...
Old 12-05-2001, 10:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

You can't lump all dealers together. They are all under Nissan/Honda yes, but each dealer is privately owned and work as an independent place. This is why you see one dealer being a ***** and others being very cordial on warranty issues.

IMHO. Even if you have the law on your side as others say, it's still a major hassle to get the dealer to comply with the law. So I would think it would go like this:
1) You bring in a warranty issue(let's say it 100% legit and clear)
2) Dealer says intake is a mod so no go.
3) You mention the law.
4) They mention it doesn't apply becuase you car is modded.
5) Then what?
6) Then you call 1800Nissan-1 and ***** to them.
7) Let's say they side w/ the dealer.
8) Then what again?
9) Now you have to consider bringing in a lawyer or at least threaten legal action. So now you run the chance at legal costs even if you win?? This process might take months also.
10) So are you willing to spend $500 on a $50 warranty issue? Not to mention the time?

Of course you can keep trying different dealers in the area also.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:35 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

yep, I agree Jeff. No matter what the law says, the dealerships can still make a lot of trouble for you. This is why I'd rather have a mostly stock car that's fast to begin with (a Maxima) than a fully modded car that's still slow and might run into mod/warranty issues (Accord V6 )
Old 12-05-2001, 03:15 PM

I have a tranny cooler on my car and my tranny is slipping from 1st to 2nd and on ocassion 2nd to 3rd. I was thinking of taking the car in for the TSb and was wondering if i should take out the tranny cooler before taking it in. I would really hate to do this since it was a pain in the behind to put in.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:22 AM

i wouldn't take it out
Old 06-02-2005, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by claudiusmaximas
i wouldn't take it out
Holy thread resurrection!

Somehow I doubt Menacer still needs the answer to that one....
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Great thread, would recommend.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Great thread, would recommend.
How the heck was this dug up again?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:39 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
How the heck was this dug up again?
I always am confused by this. It always seems to be non-donating members for some reason. I don't know if they're so fatigued by doing the Google search that they don't notice the date of the thread or what.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:54 AM

I think it's all about the stealership. to be honest when i had my mazda i went into one and they would not work on car bc of intake & exhuast..went to another dealership and they were much friendlier about the mods..infact the service guy was very cool about it.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:43 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Progress
I always am confused by this. It always seems to be non-donating members for some reason. I don't know if they're so fatigued by doing the Google search that they don't notice the date of the thread or what.
or they do it as a service for other lazy cheap newbies so they dont have to search