5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ground Wire for Horns

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 04:29 PM

Ground Wire for Horns

I just bought the 350z horns (JDM type) and in the other thread everyone said they were completely plug and play but one person said they need to be grounded. does anyone know if they need to be grounded? If so...how do you ground it because i am a total newbie to electrical stuff.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:37 PM

It all depends on whether or not there's one or two tabs on the horn. If only one tab, its plug and play. But if there are two tabs, you need to make a wire like this, to ground the second tab:

FEMALE 1/4" SPADE CONNECTOR<-------------> 5/16" RING CONNECTOR

The female spade connects to the negative horn tab..
The ring connector can go onto the bolt that holds the horn on (ground)

You may have to make 2 of these.. one for each horn. But again, only if the horns have two tabs.

DON'T USE THIN WIRE! If you do, the horns might not get enough juice to be as loud as they can be.

P.S. in that other thread I explained all of this...!
Old 10-28-2004, 04:46 PM

In that other thread MIXXMAX says they need the ground wire. So put the original wires on one tab of each horn (positive). For the extra tabs, ground them like I said above.. it's EASY!!! (but you will have to go to Radio Shack or Autozone, etc. to get the connectors, plus a set of cheap crimping pliers)

Grounding something means that you are connecting a wire to the frame of the car, which is the negative side. Never let a positive wire touch negative, or it will fry!!! Positive wires are usually RED, negative wires are usually BLACK, but don't count on this. In the Max, the positive wires to the horn happen to be black.. probably so you don't see them through the grille.

If you aren't sure, get someone to help you.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:14 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I drew one for you:

http://users.rcn.com/pvaudo/horns.bmp
Old 10-29-2004, 05:32 PM

Okay, here's the deal. If you look at the stock horn, I believe it only has one connection on it, which means only one wire is tapped into it in order for it to work. On the Z horns, it has two. This means a ground must be applied to them in order for them to work. When I first installed these, I tapped the wires into the same connections as the stock. Well, they didn't work. So I applied "ground" to the other connection on the horn, and guess what, they worked! I installed these last year, but if I can remember, there was only one wire from the factory harness going to each horn. Just ground the Z horns to the frame of the car and you'll be fine. Yes, these are somewhat totally plug-n-play, except only you have to ground them in order for them to work. I hope this helps you out any.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i am sure you can see the connections now

Old 10-30-2004, 01:24 PM

thanks for all the postings, but when i put them in and connected them without the ground wire they worked and my friend said it's because the postive and negative wires are bundled together in the black wire, so there was no reason for me to make a ground wire. they sound like a ferrari's horn and nothing like a 350z OEM horn b/c they are the JDM ones.