5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headers...Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 07:18 PM

Headers...Emissions

I hope to buy a pair of headers in the spring...but my big concern is emissions. I live in ma and our emissions test is quite strict, I tried looking up the numbers but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone that lived in ma, with headers, has had problems with inspection as the new headers remove all precats, any and all info will be much appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just a general comment... in most states... all you'd have to do is make sure the car is fully warmed up to regular operating temperature (if there is such a thing) before going into an emissions test. Reason being, the precats are to work the emissions when the main cat isn't properly warmed up yet, so if the precats are removed, and the car is sufficiently warmed up, the main cat should be working fine and you'll do okay for the emissions test.

In saying that, I have no idea how MA is with their testing, so this just a very general comment... although I've heard that this will pass emissions here in VA... good luck...
Old 10-31-2004, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by k2a2b
I hope to buy a pair of headers in the spring...but my big concern is emissions. I live in ma and our emissions test is quite strict, I tried looking up the numbers but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone that lived in ma, with headers, has had problems with inspection as the new headers remove all precats, any and all info will be much appreciated, thanks!
I'm in the same boat, I want headers...but I wonder about emissions in MA. I'm going to start with a Y-pipe and cat-back to see how that does for inspection next June. Like always, get the car nice n warm for the test...but...since most headers say 'for off road use only, not street legal', my concern is what if the inspector finds the headers on the car... he could fail you anyways for having them....couldn't he? Even if the car did pass emissions?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:59 AM

thanks pupet master, I have also heard the same and have also seen a few members that live in MA with headers so that's probably the case. jmal, i dont think he'll fail you for that fact, more so for the noise. Anything above stock exhaust loudness is considered noise polutioin, they can fail you for that. In ma atleast...
Old 10-31-2004, 07:58 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

when you mention the test being strict, do you know if there is a visual inspection involved? reason i ask is because the headers are going to stand out. the emissions people here in charlotte noticed mine but only thing they do in charlotte is plug up to the obd-2 port and check for codes.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:25 AM
mjg

if you throwing codes, u should want to get that fixed anyways though...

i'm sure the visual inspection wont be bad, a polished pipe means failed emissions? I guess its easy enuf to throw stock muffler on. These inspectors arent rocket scientists, they arent gonna know what the packaging on the headers said.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:31 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

ive had codes for my secondary o2 since the header install. only thing they monitor is the cats so they were relocated behind the main cat in the b pipe. something got wired up incorrectly so the light has been on. im not saying the guy working in the emissions place is brillant but he can probably tell a difference where a precat is and where a shiny header piping goes into the collector. they do see alot of cars and tend to move quicker to get more vehicles in and out. im just saying if its a strict process, like it was in charlotte before the obd2 then they could fail for lack for precats, if they noticed.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:39 PM

would an o2 sensor modulator fix that problem? i dont think the guy will care much about the look of the headers...my last max had some exhaust work done to it, the guy i took it too started revving my engine "damn man, this sounds good"
Old 10-31-2004, 05:43 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

already got a dual output one from o2simulator.com.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:52 PM

it still throwin codes?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:58 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

the simulator works but its currently off the car. instead of keeping the heater wires connected, im using a 20 watt 40omh resistor to mock the heater signal.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
when you mention the test being strict, do you know if there is a visual inspection involved? reason i ask is because the headers are going to stand out. the emissions people here in charlotte noticed mine but only thing they do in charlotte is plug up to the obd-2 port and check for codes.
I guess it depends on the inspection station or the inspector. I know that you can bring a car to two different places and get two different results...except for the 'hooked-up-to-the-machine' emissions test. The visual test includes jacking the vehicle up and checking tie rods/ball joints, pulling a wheel off and checking brakes, things like that...but it varies.

How loud are the Cattman headers? I assume enough to make a difference, but how much? I know when they put the car on the 'dyno' and 'drive it', they have to rev it up a bit...so that would cause the extra noise of the headers to shine through the somewhat stock Max...I dunno. I'm just going with a y-pipe and cat-back for now...and see how that does. I shouldn't have a problem there...

As far as the codes go, do ya normally get SES codes after a cat-back or a y-pipe install? Either way I can clear codes the day of inspections...thats not a problem.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jmal
How loud are the Cattman headers? I assume enough to make a difference, but how much? I know when they put the car on the 'dyno' and 'drive it', they have to rev it up a bit...so that would cause the extra noise of the headers to shine through the somewhat stock Max...I dunno. I'm just going with a y-pipe and cat-back for now...and see how that does. I shouldn't have a problem there...

As far as the codes go, do ya normally get SES codes after a cat-back or a y-pipe install? Either way I can clear codes the day of inspections...thats not a problem.
I'm sure headers are much louder.... but I thought the inspection people didn't check for that kinda stuff... I thought that was up to cops to do if they catch ya screaming around with a car that sounds like a Harley (btw, how the heck do those guys get away with noise levels like that?). At least it is here in VA.

As for SES codes, you get no codes with a cat-back... and I've heard mixed responses with the y-pipe... I'm getting my y-pipe this week and will probably know better once I've installed it....
Old 11-01-2004, 06:03 PM

shouldnt get codes with a catback...doesnt take out any converters, but it does sometimes remove the bungs to attatch the o2 sensors
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 PM
drag racing is for wussies

In my state you need to pass the readiness code test of the OBDII test. Basically all they look for is all the systems of the fuel injection system and its emission systems have passed their self tests. So if you have a check engine light for a bad or no CAT, clearing it will also clear out all the TESTS, and if they plug in the scanner to check that it will show that you have not completed all the self tests the ECU runs. It takes about a WEEK to get the cats to pass their self test. So clearing out the ECU before testing is a big no no. I would get the O2 simulator I been telling people to get for over a year now, it works great on cars with headers, and no cats. I don't have a single cat on my Cali spec 01 5spd GXE and I got no check engine light. Now if they did a tail pipe snifter test my car would faaaail like crazy.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have headers and full catback....I got mine inspected......PM me for details...

Trex