5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H&R or Maxspeed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 AM

H&R or Maxspeed?

After much research and asking members about personal experiences with various springs I have chosen to either get the H&R Sport Springs or Maxspeed...It seems pretty clear that H&R have the reputation of giving a better ride, however do you think that this difference in ride (if it exists) is worth the extra $100 or so between the two? They both claim a drop of 1.4F 1.3R however it seems like this varies from different pics that I have seen from .org members which obviously could have to do with system in trunk, bald tires etc. I want to buy the springs soon and want opinions on which to get? Thanks guys.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tein H-Tech!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:54 AM

Maxspeeds. I have had Maxspeeds on for about 8 months now. I love them. The rear of the ride on H&R's tend to sag a little making look uneven. Besides, you will be saving a little over a hundred dollars for almost the same ride quality.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kruppa
After much research and asking members about personal experiences with various springs I have chosen to either get the H&R Sport Springs or Maxspeed...It seems pretty clear that H&R have the reputation of giving a better ride, however do you think that this difference in ride (if it exists) is worth the extra $100 or so between the two? They both claim a drop of 1.4F 1.3R however it seems like this varies from different pics that I have seen from .org members which obviously could have to do with system in trunk, bald tires etc. I want to buy the springs soon and want opinions on which to get? Thanks guys.
Hey I have H&R on my car and love them. I am not sure how they compare to Maxspeeds, but after I installed H&Rs car drove and looked 100% better. I installed them on stock SE shocks as well.

Not sure when you are planing to get them, but I am planing to take H&Rs off the car soon, so I can sell them to you.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Z

After much research (thanks to Housecor and others) Maxspeeds are probably the only set of springs that don't sag in the back. The ride difference/comfort should be neglible and will mostly depend on what struts you use. The handling will likely be identical between the two. Save yourself the money and go for the Maxspeeds.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:44 PM
retired moderator

I'm happy with the maxspeeds. Of course your ride quality is equally dependent on the struts you get. On stock struts it will not be as good. Or on the other end of the spectrum tokico illuminas are excellent (and have adjustable stiffness).....The maxspeeds have a nice even drop and no sagging in the back....
Old 11-10-2004, 03:13 PM
O'rly

I am very happy with my Maxsprings/Tokico Blues
Old 11-10-2004, 04:17 PM

I have had H&R springs for 97k miles on my 4th gen. THey sag in the back! I would suggest something else. Depending on how low you want to go. My bro has a 5th gen and he put the s tech springs on and damn they look good!! I just ordered myself a set . Over all H&R are a little to conservative and the front wheel gap is much larger than the back
Old 11-10-2004, 04:19 PM

Lumbee1 is one of the few I've heard say anything negative about Maxspeeds:

Housecor, don't buy Maxspeeds. They are knockoffs of H&R's. I am going to be getting rid of mine soon. They do not control the car or handle very well at all. I have noticed since I got 18's and better grip that the car wobbles through turns. With the stock springs it didn't do that. From day one I discounted the problem as being the 17's and Craptenzas but now I am pretty sure that it is the Maxspeeds. I also noticed with friends in the back seat, the rear end got squishy and bouncy.

I will either be installing coilovers (if the ride quality is as good as some claim) or H&R's. My Maxspeeds are toast.
The above helped steer me to spend the extra on my H&R's. FWIW...
Old 11-10-2004, 05:12 PM
retired moderator

sounds to me like he was using them with OEM struts.....

oh btw, Maxspeeds are not "knockoffs" of H&Rs. To my knowledge they are actually MADE by H&R under a different name......
Old 11-11-2004, 06:13 AM

Irish - He's running Illuminas. Just one man's impression, for what it's worth.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:42 AM

Hmm, I thought Maxspeeds were made by ADR...
Old 11-11-2004, 09:49 AM

if your gonna spend money, spend it right

If you are going to spend money, spend it on quality products. I have had maxspeed springs for almost 3 years. They slowly withereing away even though I just installed brand new KYB struts. Go for the GOLD!!!! If you want to test drive my car you are welcome to.. i am in northern new jersey.
Test drive some rides on the org

Roger
Old 11-11-2004, 09:54 AM

so is this all about opinion? cause, if 100 dollars seems to be the deciding difference, with a few exceptions... where's the argument, has anyone had both?? If so, this would be an excellent time to speak up!!!

I am leaning towards maxspeeds for price alone, but this thread makes me want them more due to the sagging fact. I have noticed the craptenzas.... crappy, and I have driven (and will soon drive) in the snow. I will be running them into the ground and am very excited to see what the next set will be like.
Please oh great ones...(thank you housecor for the informative web site) HELP ME DECIDE.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:12 AM

H&R springs are made in Germany. They have been around for awhile, therefore their reputation are well recognized in term of engineering and R&D.

Maxspeed springs are engineered and manufactured in USA.
FYI:
http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Pr.../127/11/26/213
Old 11-11-2004, 11:03 AM

That's why I kept the stock springs in the rear and only installed H&R's in the front. Everything is good...wheel gap also looks even now. Gaps are not too low and not too big.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Maxspeeds. I have had Maxspeeds on for about 8 months now. I love them. The rear of the ride on H&R's tend to sag a little making look uneven. Besides, you will be saving a little over a hundred dollars for almost the same ride quality.
They don't sag, it's the way the maxima fenders are. It's an illusion the rear sets lower. I had them on my old 2k, it looked and rode great. Handled nice too
Old 11-11-2004, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
oh btw, Maxspeeds are not "knockoffs" of H&Rs. To my knowledge they are actually MADE by H&R under a different name......
Incorrect kind sir.....
Old 11-11-2004, 01:05 PM

Maxspeeds suck!!! I really want to sell mine and get H&R's.

Negatives:
Non-progressive spring rate is rough over tiny bumps.
Large people in the back causes the rear to jump up and down. The car is literally out of control.
Control through bumpy long sweeping turns and scary (car rocks side to side)
Even without a low drop, the crash from crossing a pothole or speed bump is almost unbearable
Back is starting to sag.

Positives:
Non-progressive spring eliminates rear end sag during quick acceleration
Car feels flatter through SMOOTH long sweeping turns
The feel of the road (sportiness) is more apparent.

At the time, I thought Maxspeeds were the bomb for being so cheap. Now the old saying "you get what you pay for" has come to bite me in the ****. From day one I noticed the loss of some control through non-smooth turns, but blamed it on the car settling. I got used to it and now realize that I should have known it was a problem. I blamed the stock struts for a long time but also realize that the struts have been dampening like they should, don't make any noises, and have performed the same since I bought the car.

For anyone considering lowering the car, look at Eibach for a sporty controlled ride or H&R for smooth comfy controlled ride. Maxspeed gets two thumbs down from me.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:11 PM

My Eibachs sagged after about 1.5 years and I had to switch them out. I would not get them again. Riding on Tein H-Tech's and so far so good.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Komax
That's why I kept the stock springs in the rear and only installed H&R's in the front. Everything is good...wheel gap also looks even now. Gaps are not too low and not too big.
Running same setup here. Just posted pics on my site.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:46 PM

Happy with my Progress Springs, little better drop, not too stiff, good price. I'm getting ready to put on my Tokico Blues and Falcon ZIEX 512's
Old 11-11-2004, 02:59 PM

i was always gung ho on the H&R from what I read until this thread. Seems like the H&Rs and maxspeeds really don't handle that much better than stock. Also seems like people buy them and after a year or so have more problems than what they had before the drop. I don't mind small sacrificing for the sake of handling, but this just does not seem worth it. Do Tein H techs have this many problems? Are the H techs about the same drop as H&R?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:32 PM

No problems with H&R here (4th. Gen). They do handle better than stock. I also have Tokico Illuminas.

Originally Posted by mdloops
i was always gung ho on the H&R from what I read until this thread. Seems like the H&Rs and maxspeeds really don't handle that much better than stock. Also seems like people buy them and after a year or so have more problems than what they had before the drop. I don't mind small sacrificing for the sake of handling, but this just does not seem worth it. Do Tein H techs have this many problems? Are the H techs about the same drop as H&R?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by mdloops
H&R's handle fine. Never heard any complaints about them besides the wheel gap. Maxspeeds handle like **** and don't control the car over small/large bumps or when loaded down.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 AM

Tein H Tech's and Illuminas and my ride is excellent. These springs blow away my Eibachs which were a little less compliant and ended up sagging in the rear. The Eibachs only lasted about a year and a half. These H-Techs give the car a luxury feel, absorbing all but the largest of bumps in the road. I even have 18's and not even my dad notices that something is done to the suspension. As far as handling, that can be dialed in with the Illumina settings. I just putt around town with them set to two. I have yet to see how they handle with the shocks set to three. I'll kick them up a notch this afternoon and repost.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:27 AM

I bought H&R springs and they handle and feel great. But the wheel gap in the front still kinda bothers me. I've been told that it's an optical illusion because of the arc of the front wheel well as opposed to that of the rear, but I think when I do decide to change springs I'll be going with the Tein S-techs.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:46 PM

GO with Maxspeeds, H&R's seem to have more of a sag in the back. Unless U got with Tein H techs
Old 11-12-2004, 01:14 PM

My maxspeeds hande F'ing great not one complaint
Old 11-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Maxspeed springs = $99 el-cheapo spring made by who knows who???

H&R = $225 German engineered spring made by a company who produces springs for Merceces Benz & BMW's factory approved sport setups.

Which would you choose to ride on?

The sag isn't really a sag, it's the way the fenders are designed. The front fender gap is cut larger to allow the wheels to clear them when turned fully and the suspension is compressed fully. A larger drop up front only yields less suspension travel which in turn decreases ride comfort over poor road surfaces. An H&R drop takes into consideration how the car is disigned and how the spring can improve the car's handling, not only it's looks.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. A cheap spring rides and handles like a cheap spring.

Those are the facts.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by NisMo-Max
GO with Maxspeeds, H&R's seem to have more of a sag in the back. Unless U got with Tein H techs
All these comments about H&R "sag" crack me up. With H&R's, the back end will be slightly lower by design not because the springs in back slowly sag. Look at pictures of H&R drops to determine if this small difference is an issue to you. Personally, an even stance was my #1 priority, second only to ride, so I run the H&R's in front only and the difference front to back is 1/8". Nothing the eye can pick up.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
All these comments about H&R "sag" crack me up. With H&R's, the back end will be slightly lower by design not because the springs in back slowly sag. Look at pictures of H&R drops to determine if this small difference is an issue to you. Personally, an even stance was my #1 priority, second only to ride, so I run the H&R's in front only and the difference front to back is 1/8". Nothing the eye can pick up.
All these comments about "wheel gap" and "even drop" crack me up. The body is attached to the frame. The body is designed with different fender hights.
Instead of measuring to the center of the fender looking for your even stance try measuring the bottom of the frame rails. I'm sure you'll find you've dropped the front more than the rear with your current setup and the difference is more than 1/8". With the softer rear there'll be more weight transfer to the back under heavy acceleration, this will make you even more prone to wheel hop.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaMan77
All these comments about "wheel gap" and "even drop" crack me up. The body is attached to the frame. The body is designed with different fender hights.
Instead of measuring to the center of the fender looking for your even stance try measuring the bottom of the frame rails. I'm sure you'll find you've dropped the front more than the rear with your current setup and the difference is more than 1/8". With the softer rear there'll be more weight transfer to the back under heavy acceleration, this will make you even more prone to wheel hop.
If your #1 concern is whether your frame rails are exactly the same distance from the pavement, that's fine. My priority is whether the car has an even stance.

And weight transfer is a very small piece of the wheel hop puzzle - running ultra stiff suspension settings alone won't eliminate it. Even so, adding slightly stiffer aftermarket springs/struts up front certainly doesn't exacerbate the issue – weight transfer is no greater than stock and wheel control up front is marginally improved.

To each his own.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:50 PM

I just got my H&R's installed, and the ride is very solid and smooth, with much greater control than the stock SE suspension!! Yes there is a bit more gap in front than in back, so if that is an issue, maybe you should consider another brand. I wanted a slightly lower ride, while retaining as much ride comfort as possible, and these springs combined with Illumina shocks have definitely surpassed my expectations!! Gone is the loose, disconnected from the road, while at the same time jittery stock SE suspension
Old 11-13-2004, 03:26 PM

how does it handle compared to stock and is wheel hop improved at all?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:26 PM

It handles significantly better than stock!! Stock SE suspension is too loose and sloppy, very weak on cornering. With the H&R's and Illumina's, the car is tight, precise, and absolutely carves thru corners. It is like driving a different car!! I am taking corners at significantly higher speeds, with greater control and confidence, because the suspension is much more responsive and solid. It amazes me how bad most stock suspension setups are, unless you buy a BMW, Mercedes, etc. Even though for another $600 they could do what I've done, and make the suspension right the first time. Supposedly the SE was the "sport" version of the Maxima, well with the set up I have on it now, it finally is a sport suspension!!
Old 11-14-2004, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
If your #1 concern is whether your frame rails are exactly the same distance from the pavement, that's fine. My priority is whether the car has an even stance.

And weight transfer is a very small piece of the wheel hop puzzle - running ultra stiff suspension settings alone won't eliminate it. Even so, adding slightly stiffer aftermarket springs/struts up front certainly doesn't exacerbate the issue – weight transfer is no greater than stock and wheel control up front is marginally improved.

To each his own.
You are right, to each his own.

I'd like to lower the CG of the car a little while greatly increasing suspension performance. I could care less about wheel gap, and I just don't get why it seems to be the 1st thing most people here are looking at and handling comes 2nd.

If you’re happy that's all that matters. I'd just like to hear more about performance. Maybe this is the wrong forum for that since most are looking at aesthetics here.

Good luck with your setup and that's a nice webpage you have.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:57 PM

Ok so after reading these posts and talkin to people with both setups i have come up with three apparent facts:

(1) H&R handle at least a little bit better
(2) H&R at least "appear" to sag in the back which I don't see as too big of an issue bc the car looks like that anyways and a little difference won't bother me (if there will be one at all on my application)
(3) Maxspeeds "bang" over transitions in the road

I'm spending the extra money on illuminas so I just want to make sure i'm buying the "best" spring under a 1.5" drop (covered by tokico if strut blows) if that exists...I guess H&R are the way to go also after talking to some companies who all basically said overall you get what you pay for and many had heard of H&R but very few had heard of Maxspeed...so any more opinions as I'll most likely be looking to purchase H&Rs soon??? . . . maybe some more comments on any ride issues with either?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:31 PM

Tein H-Techs!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
Tein H-Techs!
Did you read the title of the topic?

Quick Reply: H&R or Maxspeed?