5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:08 AM

intake

i was just curious which intake has the best sound and which intake gives you the best performance
Old 11-11-2004, 10:12 AM
It's business time.

Uh oh!

You better
Old 11-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Look under the Stickies... go to the FAQs... then scroll down to the Intake section... that should give you some good starting information....

And yeah...

Old 11-11-2004, 10:31 AM
It's chrome alright...

-Go to User CP
-Edit Options
-Set "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to "Show 40 posts per page"

Read titles on each page, click other pages and read...read...read
Old 11-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i notice when people post a reoccurring question a lot of "regulars" on here get all bent out of shape due to the question being asked over and over. They always say go to the FAQs newbie.... I get that, but if you look at most of the FAQs dates they are anywhere from 1-3+ years old. If someone is asking about a certain product I would imagine new and better things coming out since their recommendations 3 or so years ago. Thats why I dont understand why people get so bent out of shape when someone asks these types of questions... Ive refrained many times from asking questions due to not wanting to be flamed because some of the "helpful" posts on upgrades are just too old for me to rely on.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:07 AM

haha sorry....didn't even look at the FAQ's
Old 11-11-2004, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by gabe22
i notice when people post a reoccurring question a lot of "regulars" on here get all bent out of shape due to the question being asked over and over. They always say go to the FAQs newbie.... I get that, but if you look at most of the FAQs dates they are anywhere from 1-3+ years old. If someone is asking about a certain product I would imagine new and better things coming out since their recommendations 3 or so years ago. Thats why I dont understand why people get so bent out of shape when someone asks these types of questions... Ive refrained many times from asking questions due to not wanting to be flamed because some of the "helpful" posts on upgrades are just too old for me to rely on.
Notice I said "good starting information".... your point is taken nevertheless. With regards to new information, I think that's why 2k2wannabe said to go look through the recent threads to find discussions on intakes, esp with more common questions like this.

I think we're always gonna run into this issue because we will always have newer folks who come in and ask something w/o looking through the Stickies to at least see that its there. Sure, people can be nicer when it comes to redirection, but what can we do if they aren't? On the flip side, I think I'm generally not trying to be mean or anything in my posts, but recently I've gotten attitude from newbies for redirecting them and for misunderstanding or making a simple mistake in my posts because they've gotten offended over something minor or maybe its just because they hate being new and wanna "prove a point".

Its a 2-way street and this forums thing is not a perfect system but it does work rather well, so IMO we should all learn to work together and bear with it.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by maximillus
haha sorry....didn't even look at the FAQ's
See what I mean, Gabe?

Maximillus... I have a Berk and I love it... sounds awesome over 4500 rpms and there is a little high end pull that the butt dyno picks up.... PM Cobymoby (Bryan) if you have more specific questions...

Pic is below...

Old 11-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

no puppet your cool, i wasnt directing that at you... just those types of redirections..mainly my point is it seems the most of those important stickies are very out of date concerning updated modding and their performances..
Old 11-11-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by gabe22
no puppet your cool, i wasnt directing that at you... just those types of redirections..mainly my point is it seems the most of those important stickies are very out of date concerning updated modding and their performances..
Its cool... just stating some observations that's all... me on my
Old 11-11-2004, 12:57 PM

I have a frankencar. Same design as the berk basically. Mine pulls harder from 3600 RPM though. Guess mine is better..

I didnt use a butt dyno. I actually pulled 224 WHP with intake alone. How is that for stats puppet....
Old 11-11-2004, 01:00 PM
It's business time.

The idea with the redirections to the stickies/faqs is to learn as much as possible so your question can be with a somewhat relatively educated background before you ask.

Asking a question like: "Which intake is best?" just won't cut it anymore. You have to be able to understand the topic somewhat in order to ask an educated question then consequently get an educated answer.

If you want the purchase not to break your wallet and you want a relatively easy install go for the Berk or Frankencar. I have Berk and love it, you really can't go wrong with the sound or performance.

GL
Old 11-11-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by dblrr900
I have a frankencar. Same design as the berk basically. Mine pulls harder from 3600 RPM though. Guess mine is better..

I didnt use a butt dyno. I actually pulled 224 WHP with intake alone. How is that for stats puppet....

Yeah yeah... guess me and my Berk got this time.... but I'll be back...
Old 11-11-2004, 01:11 PM

I have a Injen Cold air intake, its better for your engine than just a intake, and it sounds awsome. I love it, gives the engine a real growl. Instillation wasn't too bad, just had to pull on some things....

~Wolf
Old 11-11-2004, 01:18 PM

And yeah... good stats by the way....
Old 11-11-2004, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by WOLF 101
I have a Injen Cold air intake, its better for your engine than just a intake, and it sounds awsome.
~Wolf
Hey Wolf,

How is the Injen "better for your engine"? I've never heard anyone say that and I'm just curious to know... thanks...
Old 11-11-2004, 01:25 PM

I have had both. The injen is not better.

I had the franken. Summer heat here is high 90s with 120% humidity. I got the Injen for the summer months. It was good for summer, then fall came and I realized it wasnt as good as I thought. Put back on the Franken for a test, and an hour later put the Injen up for sale.

It is pretty, but the design is not the best sitting on top of the motor gathering heat. It is like running with your mouth stuck to a long thin straw.... The Injen is real nice looking though, if you want the look too. Just dont expect mad HP gains from it.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Hey Wolf,

How is the Injen "better for your engine"? I've never heard anyone say that and I'm just curious to know... thanks...
Yeah I gotta agree with Kermit on this....... Intakes help but how is it better for your engine?
Old 11-11-2004, 01:41 PM
It's business time.

I have a Injen Cold air intake, its better for your engine than just a intake, and it sounds awsome. I love it, gives the engine a real growl. Instillation wasn't too bad, just had to pull on some things....

~Wolf

The highlighted statement has zero factual evidence to back it up.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:50 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=349111
Old 11-11-2004, 01:52 PM

I heard heat transfer from a cold air intakes metal/aluminum/steel piping can cause air inside to actually get hotter than plastic, hence stock = plastic (or maybe it's just cheaper in mass quantities, but then, why go through all the trouble of molding it with a trap and frob more material than a CAI)

IMO metal intakes=BAD for long runs ESPECIALLY hot summer nights
Old 11-11-2004, 02:09 PM
It's chrome alright...

I have had both. The injen is not better. :rolleyes

I had the franken. Summer heat here is high 90s with 120% humidity. I got the Injen for the summer months. It was good for summer, then fall came and I realized it wasnt as good as I thought. Put back on the Franken for a test, and an hour later put the Injen up for sale.
How is the air inside your engine bay any less hot or less humid than the air under your engine bay? Why does injen do anything different in the fall/winter/colder weather?
It is pretty, but the design is not the best sitting on top of the motor gathering heat.
Any less heat than a franken? #1
It is like running with your mouth stuck to a long thin straw.... The Injen is real nice looking though, if you want the look too. Just dont expect mad HP gains from it.
<turning this into an injen thread>
A shorter hose doesn't pump more water #2

Explain how franken is better. With injen you're sucking through a long thin intake; with franken you're sucking through a short thin intake. Whether the tube is 1' long or 5' long doesn't matter...they are both the same diameter leading to the same hole. The filter is a limiting factor, the length of the tube is not.

I'm getting tired of the injen haters doing their . I'll be the first to say an intake on our cars (franken or injen) does not give any significant hp gains, so the only reason for getting one (really) is the sound.

Enough with the hate or injen owners will start searching/global replacing franken/injen and see how you like all the disinformation.
Originally Posted by StillenMax80x20
I heard heat transfer from a cold air intakes ......
I heard stillen sucks... is that 100% true? #3
Old 11-11-2004, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by maximillus
i was just curious which intake has the best sound and which intake gives you the best performance
I'm casting my vote for the Place Racing CAI, which is sadly going out of production. It is the ONLY true CAI for our cars, giving the best performance.
As for sound, well..............
Old 11-11-2004, 05:08 PM

Rofl

Originally Posted by ABDomega
The highlighted statement has zero factual evidence to back it up.
Man, I must admit, I love drama. Ok, here goes: Cold air intakes are better for your engine because they provide cold air! Cold air for you engine means happy engine. You get colder air out of the intake because it sucks the air from the bottom right of the car (behind the bumper.) If you just have a intake, it sucks the air (that is warmer from being around your engine, instead of coming from the ground.) The only problem that you can run into with a cold air intake is if you have a large amount of humidity in your area, i.e. water going into your engine. But since I am in sunny cali I have no worries. Ever wonder why turbos typically have there intercoolers behind the bumper? Oh, and for all you people that are going to say "oh, well the wrx has the intercooler at the top of the engine!" Yes this is true, but you get better performance out of air taken lower from your car = cold air. That is why there are conversion kits for wrxs. )

I hope this helped, or at least caused some more flaming.

~Wolf

p.s. The injen intake is not "thinner"
Cold air means more hp gain
Refer to turbos please? They run hot, and need cold air!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:29 PM
It's business time.

Man, I must admit, I love drama. Ok, here goes: Cold air intakes are better for your engine because they provide cold air! Cold air for you engine means happy engine. You get colder air out of the intake because it sucks the air from the bottom right of the car (behind the bumper.) If you just have a intake, it sucks the air (that is warmer from being around your engine, instead of coming from the ground.) The only problem that you can run into with a cold air intake is if you have a large amount of humidity in your area, i.e. water going into your engine. But since I am in sunny cali I have no worries. Ever wonder why turbos typically have there intercoolers behind the bumper? Oh, and for all you people that are going to say "oh, well the wrx has the intercooler at the top of the engine!" Yes this is true, but you get better performance out of air taken lower from your car = cold air. That is why there are conversion kits for wrxs. )

I hope this helped, or at least caused some more flaming.

~Wolf

p.s. The injen intake is not "thinner"
Cold air means more hp gain
Refer to turbos please? They run hot, and need cold air!
You initially said "better for your engine". I took this as meaning healthier and more efficient. If you were talking performance than yes, in most conditions, cold air increases performance. However, your argument wasn't even for a true CAI (PR) rather you were arguing for the Injen. In that case, the temperature difference between the air your intake gathers compared to mine is negligable.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:37 PM

WTF is with you two.... I HAVE OWNED BOTH. I am stating what I decided from OWNING BOTH. If you havent spent the cash on both then STFU! You are talking out your neck on a one sided arguement.

I am not hating on Injen. I feel the short stack is better and I have the dyno to prove it. What you do have? That's right you have D1CK....

Wolf.... you are obviously new, because had you been around you would see that many people have talked about the pros and cons of the Injen setup. While very nice, the Injen still sits right in front fo the engine with a stainless steel pipe that takes your so called cold air and makes it nice and hot. I honestly dont think there is any difference between the two intakes and the temp of air they provide. The injen I am sure is cooler, but probably by less than 15 degrees.

The Frankencar and Berk intakes allow more air to come in faster. This is physics, nothing more. Put a straw in your mouth that is 2 ft long and run 50 yards. Then come back with a straw that is 3 inches long. You get more air faster with the shorter straw. This is why if you take your WHOLE intake off the car will actually stall out.

No one is bashing the Injen. The sound is good, but not as loud as the short intakes. The power is good, but not as good as the shorter intakes. In the heat, yes, go with Injen, if you live north, I would recommend a short intake.

To be honest, the prices for both are not that much. You can even find used ones on here for half the price. Get both, see what you like, sell the other. That is what I did, and that is how I can speak to BOTH products.

PS Turbos have intercoolers because the air that is coming into the motor passes through the turbo which is run with EXHAUST gas that is causing the incoming air to be heated. The purpose of the intercooler is cool the air so when it gets to the motor it is not usless. Now put down the Super Street magazine and go work on some cars. I also own a Turbo car too if you want to get into that arena...
Old 11-11-2004, 05:46 PM
It's business time.

PS Turbos have intercoolers because the air that is coming into the motor passes through the turbo which is run with EXHAUST gas that is causing the incoming air to be heated. The purpose of the intercooler is cool the air so when it gets to the motor it is not usless. Now put down the Super Street magazine and go work on some cars. I also own a Turbo car too if you want to get into that arena...
The air is "heated" because it is compressed in the turbo, right? Compressed air is hot air, hence the intercooler, is that what you mean?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:04 PM

WTF is with you two.... I HAVE OWNED BOTH. I am stating what I decided from OWNING BOTH. If you havent spent the cash on both then STFU! You are talking out your neck on a one sided arguement.

I am not hating on Injen. I feel the short stack is better and I have the dyno to prove it. What you do have? That's right you have D1CK....

Wolf.... you are obviously new, because had you been around you would see that many people have talked about the pros and cons of the Injen setup. While very nice, the Injen still sits right in front fo the engine with a stainless steel pipe that takes your so called cold air and makes it nice and hot. I honestly dont think there is any difference between the two intakes and the temp of air they provide. The injen I am sure is cooler, but probably by less than 15 degrees.

The Frankencar and Berk intakes allow more air to come in faster. This is physics, nothing more. Put a straw in your mouth that is 2 ft long and run 50 yards. Then come back with a straw that is 3 inches long. You get more air faster with the shorter straw. This is why if you take your WHOLE intake off the car will actually stall out.

No one is bashing the Injen. The sound is good, but not as loud as the short intakes. The power is good, but not as good as the shorter intakes. In the heat, yes, go with Injen, if you live north, I would recommend a short intake.

To be honest, the prices for both are not that much. You can even find used ones on here for half the price. Get both, see what you like, sell the other. That is what I did, and that is how I can speak to BOTH products.

dblrr900, you have some good points. LoL. Well, Don't get too heated or you might need a intercooler! ohhhh. no no. Ok, seriously, all I was doing by using the intercooler as an example was to show its placement and how it cools the incoming air from the turbo. And that air is more effectively cooled by the intercooler + intake being low to the ground and behind the bumper. You do have a good point that the intake's temperature difference is minimal, and I do a agree with your statement about north going for short and south long. But, the little amount of temperature would make a difference in the engine. And, as far as healthy for your engine, wasn't giving your engine the coldest air possible good for not only for performance and the engine its self? note: this is a question not a statement. And yes I am a noobe to your forum, and some one asked about intakes, I told them what I knew. Good for you for buying both of the intakes and being able to provide us with info. If I could afford both intakes I would do the same.

End statement: cold air intakes aren't for everyone. for me = good. peace.

p.s. I tried that running with the different straw lengths... but the damn things kept getting sucked into my throught... damn that hurt.

~Wolf
Old 11-11-2004, 06:06 PM

I have had owned three maximas and I have had Injen, Frankencar, and Berk. I love all of them, but right now I have a Berk with an Apexi filter and it has to be my favorite.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ABDomega
The air is "heated" because it is compressed in the turbo, right? Compressed air is hot air, hence the intercooler, is that what you mean?
You are correct as well, but I meant what I said. If you watch a modded turbo car on the dyno, the manifold and entire turbo region build up tremendous heat. The incoming air is passing right through the middle of that. Yes the preassure builds up the heat as well, but the two go together I guess.

Either way this is way off topic and the guy that started this thread probably isnt even reading it now. Sorry dood, didnt mean to have your thread go off course.

Again, my recommendation would be get both If that is not an option, then they both have their ups and downs. All you are going to get on this forum though is people telling you to buy what they bought when they can't even compare the other product with a first hand knowledge. Personally, I had both, I liked both, but I only kept one, and it was the short intake.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:11 PM
It's chrome alright...

The Frankencar and Berk intakes allow more air to come in faster. This is physics, nothing more. Put a straw in your mouth that is 2 ft long and run 50 yards. Then come back with a straw that is 3 inches long. You get more air faster with the shorter straw.
Oh, please elaborate on this...I think I need a physics lesson.

Let's say you put a 5' tube on a pump and max out the pump so it's sucking as much air as possible. You're saying if you cut 4' of the tube off (leaving 1' of tube left) the pump will be able to suck *more* air?

Think carefully before you answer that question.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:16 PM

End statement: cold air intakes aren't for everyone. for me = good. peace.

p.s. I tried that running with the different straw lengths... but the damn things kept getting sucked into my throught... damn that hurt.
~Wolf

We are cool dood. I am not at all peeved with you. This forum is really over-run with one sided arguements, and like 2k2wannabe mentioned there is always this gang of people that bash on one product or another, usually having never even touched the other product. I just get annoyed when ... well, you saw when.

Just because you are new here doesn't mean anything. You could be Stephen Papadakis for all we know, and I don't want to put you down just for being new. Only bringing up that there were a lot of threads on this over the last year or so. Place racing is "the" CAI but you have to cut your car, and that is what makes the Injen so great; no cutting. If you did get an injen, I would get some of that heat wrap from Summit auto. Wrap that joker up and you will def. have better results that a berk/franken.

Good job with the peace offering and I accept, I am not hatin, just providing a simple arguement.

PS - yes, cold air is supposed to be better for the car, so I have been told.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Good job with the peace offering and I accept, I am not hatin, just providing a simple arguement.
dblrr900, obviously you are educated in the areas of AIR INTAKES and INTER COOLERS. but you did not have to disrespect fellow-orgers. they made their point. you did not like it, and thats fine that you disagreed with them. however they did not use the foul language....
Old 11-11-2004, 06:40 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by -ZIPPIN-
dblrr900, obviously you are educated in the areas of AIR INTAKES and INTER COOLERS. but you did not have to disrespect fellow-orgers. they made their point. you did not like it, and thats fine that you disagreed with them. however they did not use the foul language....
I agree, I think he told me to STFU!
Old 11-11-2004, 06:56 PM

Zippin - Cat in a corner syndrome, but I dont believe in going back and editing my post after it was said. There were two guys spouting that I didnt know what I was talking about and I was just hating. ABDomega was not one of those people, so no it was not for him.

I stated that I had both, I stated why I liked one over the other, and I gave some facts behind my reasons. I even said that the Injen was a real nice intake. You want to come in and play kindegarden cop that is fine, but the fact remains that I have had both items and I can speak to both. Dont come at me calling me some kind of hater or that I have no clue when I invested in not only the equipment but the dyno time too.

If I offended anyone, I am sorry, we are all big kids here and I didnt call anyone a faag or talk about their mamma, so dont get all touchy. If you didnt like it, well, sorry, but I am not one to go back and try to remove something that was already posted like other people try to do.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Zippin - Cat in a corner syndrome, but I dont believe in going back and editing my post after it was said. There were two guys spouting that I didnt know what I was talking about and I was just hating. ABDomega was not one of those people, so no it was not for him.

I stated that I had both, I stated why I liked one over the other, and I gave some facts behind my reasons. I even said that the Injen was a real nice intake. You want to come in and play kindegarden cop that is fine, but the fact remains that I have had both items and I can speak to both. Dont come at me calling me some kind of hater or that I have no clue when I invested in not only the equipment but the dyno time too.

If I offended anyone, I am sorry, we are all big kids here and I didnt call anyone a faag or talk about their mamma, so dont get all touchy. If you didnt like it, well, sorry, but I am not one to go back and try to remove something that was already posted like other people try to do.
wow. are we a little too hot? if you read what i wrote. i was saying that you have experience with the intakes, and you have every right to make your point. all i was saying was that being disrespectful is not the way to go. and i am not trying to be a kiddy cop. i have, in the past, under severe irritation done the same as you. but i have stopped being rude to other people, just because i don't agree with them, or just because i feel strongly about something, does not mean that i should disrespect fellow orgers. PEACE
Old 11-11-2004, 07:04 PM

This is the reason I have stayed away from these threads for so long. It is a waist of time and this has gone way OT and has become another "intake" thread. I am done talking on this post. PM me if anyone wants to argue with me about this.

I dont think I was rude, honestly. But I hear what you are saying.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
Oh, please elaborate on this...I think I need a physics lesson.

Let's say you put a 5' tube on a pump and max out the pump so it's sucking as much air as possible. You're saying if you cut 4' of the tube off (leaving 1' of tube left) the pump will be able to suck *more* air?

Think carefully before you answer that question.

#1 I am sorry for the STFU. You came into the thread and your post was aimed at me. I didn’t appreciate it, and I apologize if I was less than cordial.

On to the physics part. As I have read and understand it the longer the tube the longer it takes the air to get through. If you extend that tube even further, the motor would have to actually work harder to get the air down the long tube. Here is a site that measure air flow:

Air Flow Tool

If you take a flow rate of 80 CFM and set the height to 6 ft. set the width to 4 inches and the calculation comes out to 0.455 mph. (note the flow rate in liters)

Now change the height to 1 ft, click calculate the speed is now 2.727 mph. The air is moving in "faster" but the flow rate is still the same. So no, you will not get "MORE" but you will get air faster, thus making it 'more' in the long run.

Would you agree? If I am wrong then cool, but that is what I learned in school
Old 11-11-2004, 08:18 PM

Ok, enough beating up on dbirr900. He knows what he was talking about, just had a misscomunication. lets not bring down the opinion of the forum talks. We need to have the ability to talk about technical issues... such as intakes... So its all good. Man... could this thred get any more ? LoL p.s. the longer the tube, the harder one has to work. it is true. common sence + physics.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:22 PM

DAYAM I go away for several hours and a war breaks loose... I hope its all done now... it sounds like Dblrr was sick of it too... man, I knew this intake thing was touchy... but not this bad... anyways, enough... I'm done with this thread too...

Quick Reply: intake