5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 05:12 PM

Well I decided to take off my pop charger to clean it today.
While doing so I broke the bottom two screws that's holding the pop charger.
I called nissan and the part is kind of expensive.
like 400 dollars expensive.

Well. I looked at the part that broke off and it seems like i can fix it back on there with glue or something. But since it gets hot under the car (duh) i was wondering what another method of getting the black plastic part back on.

Another thing. If anyone has another one of these parts that they want to sell to me for dirt cheap to help me out.Please tell me.

here is a picture of the part I need.

One more thing. The white resonator under the battery. Can i remove that? I alread have the tubing removed.
Old 04-16-2001, 05:18 PM

Woah ... sorry about your Damage!

About the Resonator ... PUNKDORK removed HIS, So I think it should be fine!
Old 04-16-2001, 05:19 PM

YJ

I'm not sure what part broke. I had 2 bolts shear off when I took my pop charge off too. I landed up buying new bolts from the dealer. (Very inexpensive) Sounds like you are talking about something different.
Old 04-16-2001, 05:22 PM

not the bolts.
You know the part that holds the bolts.
that part broke.
Old 04-16-2001, 05:26 PM
Got Bent?

Damn, that sucks So did the plastic tabs that hold the bolts in break? If so, then you would probably need a new part....it looks like the thing that the MAF plugs into.....if so, then it makes sense for it to cost $400.....try the krazy glue......it may work since the krazy glue will not really melt.....it it melts, usually the plastic goes along with it....

as for the resonator....you can get rid of it, seems like kind of a pin though since you have to remove the radiator to get it out.
Old 04-16-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Damn, that sucks So did the plastic tabs that hold the bolts in break? If so, then you would probably need a new part....it looks like the thing that the MAF plugs into.....if so, then it makes sense for it to cost $400.....try the krazy glue......it may work since the krazy glue will not really melt.....it it melts, usually the plastic goes along with it....

as for the resonator....you can get rid of it, seems like kind of a pin though since you have to remove the radiator to get it out.
What about the paint for model cars?
Old 04-16-2001, 06:23 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by yongjun

What about the paint for model cars?
why would you use that? Try Krazy glue first....it is made of an acrylic type compund that should not melt that easily. Even if it does, you won't lose anything by trying it. It may hold you over until you can get another one of those parts. As for getting that part, try looking on copartfinder.com to see if you can get that from a wrecked maxima......
Old 04-16-2001, 06:30 PM

Is it the plastic on the backside of the screws, opposite the shiny metal part? If so, can't you lay a metal washer/ring on the opposite side of the bolt? I am thinking of something like around the FSTB brace. Something large, square or round which would provide a backing, so to speak. This would allow you to have metal on both sides of the plastic and be able to bolt it down.

I would probably check the junkyards.
Old 04-16-2001, 06:41 PM

Dude...

YJ - your picture shows two parts. If it's the black part that broke, I have bad news for you as far as a replacement is concerned - the MAF is built to come as one piece - the sensor inside is matched / calibrated to the black (tube) housing. I broke one of the tabs on my MAF tube when putting on one of the silver cone filter adapters that you show in your picture. Luckily (depends on how you look at it, I guess), the sensor blew and the whole $450 MAF had to be replaced (price according to dealership) under warranty. Given the pressure put upon the MAF tabs by the bolts between the filter adapter, I doubt (though I could be wrong) that crazy glue would be enough to hold the tabs on. I got along using 3 bolts, but 2 might be too little for the two to hang together for too long. You may have to eat the cost, unless of course, the MAF blows somehow and it has to be replaced under warranty...not that I intend to suggest fraud...

As for the resonator, although I have a 2K, I didn't have much trouble taking it off - 2 bolts, if I recall, and no radiator removal required. Took me 5 minutes at most...
Old 04-16-2001, 06:54 PM
Got Bent?

Re: Dude...

Originally posted by thorizeen

As for the resonator, although I have a 2K, I didn't have much trouble taking it off - 2 bolts, if I recall, and no radiator removal required. Took me 5 minutes at most...
the white box under the battery? You got that out in 5 minutes? I didn't think it was that easy
Old 04-16-2001, 06:55 PM

Re: Dude...

YJ - your picture shows two parts. If it's the black part that broke, I have bad news for you as far as a replacement is concerned - the MAF is built to come as one piece - the sensor inside is matched / calibrated to the black (tube) housing. I broke one of the tabs on my MAF tube when putting on one of the silver cone filter adapters that you show in your picture. Luckily (depends on how you look at it, I guess), the sensor blew and the whole $450 MAF had to be replaced (price according to dealership) under warranty. Given the pressure put upon the MAF tabs by the bolts between the filter adapter, I doubt (though I could be wrong) that crazy glue would be enough to hold the tabs on. I got along using 3 bolts, but 2 might be too little for the two to hang together for too long. You may have to eat the cost, unless of course, the MAF blows somehow and it has to be replaced under warranty...not that I intend to suggest fraud...

all i can say is use EPOXY

that stuff is stronger than any bolt or anything else that they used... it withstands heat... its awesome
Old 04-16-2001, 07:03 PM

Re: Re: Dude...

the white box under the battery? You got that out in 5 minutes? I didn't think it was that easy
Maybe it's because mine is a 2K. I'm not sure, but it's possible that the 2K and 2K1 are different down there. I didn't have any trouble, though.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Dude...

Maybe it's because mine is a 2K. I'm not sure, but it's possible that the 2K and 2K1 are different down there. I didn't have any trouble, though.

the late 2000s (like i have) and the 2001s do not have resonators the bottom of the intakes are just sealed
Old 04-16-2001, 07:14 PM
Got Bent?

Re: Re: Re: Dude...

I have a 2k also.....the 2k1 models don't have this resonator as far as I know...anyhow, I never tried to remove cause it really isn't doing anything.....Punkdork did it and he had to remove the radiator to get it out according to the stuff on his web site....
Old 04-16-2001, 08:01 PM

If you do need to buy a new Mass Air Sensor, forget getting it from the dealerships. You can go to www.car-part.com and search for "Air Flow Meter". I just did it and found one from a 2000 Max at General Auto Recycling (1-800-556-7316 - part #CC174) for $50 plus shpg. This is the same site I used to find my Federal emissions exhaust manifold. It's nice to have access to scrap yards around the entire nation. Anyhow, good luck... I hope things work out.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:07 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I can't see your pic because it's not there, but sorry to hear, YJ.

The resonator took a while to remove because of the automatic tranny (clearance issues).
Old 04-16-2001, 08:09 PM

wow, did you guys drifted to some other topic or what? JUST KIDDING!

After this expensive lesson (which costs $400 at the end), you will learn not to take out the pop charger again!

Anyways, thanks! I was going to take mine off, but since you broke yours I will no longer take mine off!!!!
Old 04-16-2001, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick

After this expensive lesson (which costs $400 at the end), you will learn not to take out the pop charger again!

Anyways, thanks! I was going to take mine off, but since you broke yours I will no longer take mine off!!!!
Umm that's not smart.
If you don't take it off and clean it your gonna have bad air flow.
Just be careful
Old 04-16-2001, 08:52 PM

As far as getting the resonator out, I had to remove the fans on the radiator, not the radiator itself. If I had a bunch more tools... IE flexy sockets n drivers and such it might not have been so tough.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:07 AM
Got Bent?

YJ: Since you have the popcharger off, why don't you try hooking up the OSCAI? It will take you 30 minutes tops....anyhow, did the epoxy or krazy glue help any?
Old 04-17-2001, 06:26 AM

Resonator / Tranny

That's probably why mine was so easy to remove. Yet another benefit of owning a 5-speed!
Old 04-17-2001, 07:44 AM

YJ: Since you have the popcharger off, why don't you try hooking up the OSCAI? It will take you 30 minutes tops....anyhow, did the epoxy or krazy glue help any?
The JB weld worked better then anything!

But I really don't want to go out and buy the OSCAI materials
I'm kinda broke from buying other mods
Old 04-17-2001, 08:01 AM
Got Bent?

The JB weld worked better then anything!

But I really don't want to go out and buy the OSCAI materials
I'm kinda broke from buying other mods
das cool.....sucks that you are broke though
Old 04-17-2001, 08:03 AM

at least my car will be slightly faster
Old 04-17-2001, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by LoveSick

All you need is a screwdriver and you can remove the filter and leave the little metal piece on there. That way you can still clean it but you don't have to worry about busting that cheap *** plastic.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by punkdork

All you need is a screwdriver and you can remove the filter and leave the little metal piece on there. That way you can still clean it but you don't have to worry about busting that cheap *** plastic.
The Stillen intake had a big hose clamp over the filter. Loosen the clamp and the filter slides right off. Does the JWT Pop work like this too?
Old 04-17-2001, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

The Stillen intake had a big hose clamp over the filter. Loosen the clamp and the filter slides right off. Does the JWT Pop work like this too?
That's a 10-4 good buddy!
Old 04-17-2001, 09:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by punkdork

That's a 10-4 good buddy!
YJ?!?!? Why were you fiddling with the other stuff then?
That's what you get for being so touchy-touchy.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:23 AM

I should have thought about that last night
now I know
and knowing is half the battke
Old 04-17-2001, 11:16 AM
Got Bent?

and knowing is half the battle
GI JOOEEEEEEEE