5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03 SE Suspension Tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:24 PM

03 SE Suspension Tweaks

i havent hadd much luck on finding any really good first hand info for upgrades. I want my car to handel. plain and simple. i am not happy with the stock suspension oh but i need to hook up too. does any one know of the best Set-up to go with. please help
Old 11-15-2004, 11:39 PM

Depending on what your priorities are, and how much you're looking to spend. There are companies out there like JIC and Tein who make threaded body coil-overs thatll give you what you're looking for. Check the group deal section, there's also a set of D2 coilovers on special right now. I would also suggest a rear sway bar. Progress and Stillen make excellent sway bars. Lastly, I would suggest a front strut bar. This will help with better steering response. It mainly depends on how much you're willing to spend to get the "handling" you want. Keep in mind that these mods can be done in stages. Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:47 PM

thanks a bunch there. very helpful. well i have to fix it first i skidded into a curb the other night at about 15...damn fog... and i bent my strut assembly and my knuckle. after that i will have to look into things. lol what a better time to upgrade then when you have to work on it any way's.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:37 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Rear sway bar would be the best bang for the buck, IMO. I really helps to keep the rear end flatter when cornering.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:40 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

housecor's site offers great information in regards to suspension upgrades.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:50 PM

thatnks for the help so far
Old 11-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I had to do it all over again. This would be my order of doing things.
1. FSTB... you can get these pretty cheap on ebay Mine is cattman cause it's a whole heck of a lot lighter and looks a lot better IMO
2. Rear Sway bar... Cattman offers this which is specifically designed for the maxima... Its basically a progress RSB
3. With how much the d2's are now i'd go with coilovers. you may also wait for cattman. He may be coming out with some coilovers and they are great. No problems with it and since u can adjust the camber a lot (about 5 degrees is what my alignment guy said) that u probably will not need camber plates if u stay roughly 2 inch drop in the front.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
retired moderator

The ideal suspension setup for a good mix of handling and still good ride quality (assuming you are staying with OEM rims for the time being):

1. Rear Sway Bar (RSB) - made by Stillen, Cattman, Addco, Progress, etc...
2. Lower Tie Bar (LTB) - there is a stage I and stage II....I have the stage II but suggest that the stage 1 is probably more what you'd want, and it's much easier to install. Only made by BlehmCo
3. Springs - Depends on how low you want to go. Assuming you want to keep a stance that is not much lower than stock, I suggest Maxspeed springs. The ride is similar to stock SE springs, but the handling is much improved and body roll is reduced. Other options here are H&R, Progress, and others listed on housecor's site.
4. Struts - Do this at the same time as springs. I suggest Tokico Illuminas, which are adjustable in firmness/softness.
5. Front Strut Tower Brace (FSTB) - any brand will do, they all work the same. The FSTB has minimal effect on handling, but does come into play a little in hard cornering. The FSTB is not a big night-and-day difference, it's more of a "complimentary" piece with other suspension parts...
6. There is also a Rear Strut Tower Brace (RSTB) but it is even less effective than the FSTB and steals trunk space.....I personally don't consider it worthwhile, some other do...
7. YOu can also add stage I, II, or III subframe connectors (SFC's) to stiffen up the frame of the car, since the maxima has a not-very-stiff frame.

8.Tires make a difference.....stiffer sidewalls = better handling (generally)

I have 1 through 5 on my car and feel it is an extremely good blend of ride quality and handling. I have no plans to get an RSTB, but will add SFC's in the near future to complete the ride/roadholding mods....
Old 11-21-2004, 07:07 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Fezzik
If I had to do it all over again. This would be my order of doing things.
1. FSTB... you can get these pretty cheap on ebay Mine is cattman cause it's a whole heck of a lot lighter and looks a lot better IMO
2. Rear Sway bar... Cattman offers this which is specifically designed for the maxima... Its basically a progress RSB
3. With how much the d2's are now i'd go with coilovers. you may also wait for cattman. He may be coming out with some coilovers and they are great. No problems with it and since u can adjust the camber a lot (about 5 degrees is what my alignment guy said) that u probably will not need camber plates if u stay roughly 2 inch drop in the front.
Fezzik, you are a Cattman *****! j/k
Old 11-21-2004, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
The ideal suspension setup for a good mix of handling and still good ride quality (assuming you are staying with OEM rims for the time being):

1. Rear Sway Bar (RSB) - made by Stillen, Cattman, Addco, Progress, etc...
2. Lower Tie Bar (LTB) - there is a stage I and stage II....I have the stage II but suggest that the stage 1 is probably more what you'd want, and it's much easier to install. Only made by BlehmCo
3. Springs - Depends on how low you want to go. Assuming you want to keep a stance that is not much lower than stock, I suggest Maxspeed springs. The ride is similar to stock SE springs, but the handling is much improved and body roll is reduced. Other options here are H&R, Progress, and others listed on housecor's site.
4. Struts - Do this at the same time as springs. I suggest Tokico Illuminas, which are adjustable in firmness/softness.
5. Front Strut Tower Brace (FSTB) - any brand will do, they all work the same. The FSTB has minimal effect on handling, but does come into play a little in hard cornering. The FSTB is not a big night-and-day difference, it's more of a "complimentary" piece with other suspension parts...
6. There is also a Rear Strut Tower Brace (RSTB) but it is even less effective than the FSTB and steals trunk space.....I personally don't consider it worthwhile, some other do...
7. YOu can also add stage I, II, or III subframe connectors (SFC's) to stiffen up the frame of the car, since the maxima has a not-very-stiff frame.

8.Tires make a difference.....stiffer sidewalls = better handling (generally)

I have 1 through 5 on my car and feel it is an extremely good blend of ride quality and handling. I have no plans to get an RSTB, but will add SFC's in the near future to complete the ride/roadholding mods....
Hey, that's exactly what I was gonna say....

But seriously, to everything he said....

Originally Posted by irish44j
Fezzik, you are a Cattman *****! j/k
Old 11-21-2004, 07:52 PM

Btw, looking back at this subject line... those aren't exactly "tweaks" we're talking here....
Old 11-21-2004, 10:42 PM

hehe. what can i say... Good parts, good service, and it makes my car look good, perform good, and goes quickly...
Old 11-22-2004, 08:57 AM

The ultimate and final limiting factor is how much $$$ do you want to spend. Only have a little money, then go for RSB and FSTB. If you've got ~$700-$1000, then go for springs and shocks, or coilovers (D2's on GB). All of the above are the core suspension handling upgrades for our cars.