5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got pulled for clear corners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:07 PM

Got pulled for clear corners...

After 3 years on the car, I got pulled over for the clear corners, the police officer was nice enough to not giving me a ticket, he said the corner light should be reflective, I argue that I have red bulb for rear and amber for front but he was insisting on reflectiveness of the corner light.

He basically told me it was a 140$ fine ticket for front and same for the rear, I told him I will order the oem one asap, he then said you know what I mean, he basically could have also check my muffler ( Powertech ) I said no problem officer, I will swap the clear as soon as I have the OEM... that should take at least a year lol

Anyway I'm going to order the OEM corner and keep it in the trunck if I ever got pulled over again, I will tell him that I just got the Nissan Corner and was heading to the garage before he pulled me. Lol.

Cheers

AA
Old 11-22-2004, 09:11 PM

Sounds like a plan. I think the officer just needs to get laid. What a rediculous pull over.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:25 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by adithius
What a rediculous pull over.
Maybe not...

doublea, when did it happen? If it was midnight or so, he could have been trolling for DUIs and used your clears as a reason to stop you.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:40 PM
VTEC This!

haha nice man, i do the same with my front plate, i keep it in the trunk
Old 11-22-2004, 10:01 PM

I know some states, that they are illegal cuz they are usually not DOT approved. It's all vary by states.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

should of just told him to take his funny looking pants and jump back up on his horse and go look for more important laws to enforce....
Old 11-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I wouldn't even worry about wasting your time or money on getting the OEM's again.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:13 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Originally Posted by jesse
haha nice man, i do the same with my front plate, i keep it in the trunk
haha me too!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 AM

ur lucky man...same thing happend to me but i had a friend that was drunk as **** in the back and i got pulled over. the cop asked me a couple of questions about the clear corners and the clear bulbs, took a look around, and then when he came back to get my license and registration he asked if i was drinking. of course i said no but they took us all out and took a breathilizer and we got arrested. we ended up paying a fine and community service. my fine was like double though b/c of the clear corners.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:54 AM
the org...not what it was

Yeah, in the states unless they have the DOT stamp on the lights they are illegal no matter where you live. And sad to say none of the clear markers have the DOT stamp.....
Old 11-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow. Cop must've been bored. This is the first time I've heard of someone getting pulled over for clears when they've got OEM colored bulbs - though I do realize it's illegal. Typically just the people with white bulbs in the clears get harassed.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Reported

i remember the box my corners came in from SWA had a warning saying the corners were "For off-road use only/for show purposes only". i just got colored bulbs to make it look legal.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:22 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by housecor
Wow. Cop must've been bored. This is the first time I've heard of someone getting pulled over for clears when they've got OEM colored bulbs - though I do realize it's illegal. Typically just the people with white bulbs in the clears get harassed.
No, this is exactly why he got pulled over...
Originally Posted by maximillus
ur lucky man...same thing happend to me but i had a friend that was drunk as **** in the back and i got pulled over. the cop asked me a couple of questions about the clear corners and the clear bulbs, took a look around, and then when he came back to get my license and registration he asked if i was drinking. of course i said no but they took us all out and took a breathilizer and we got arrested. we ended up paying a fine and community service. my fine was like double though b/c of the clear corners.
Good. Glad to see our system does work right every once in a while.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 AM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by 2k2kev
No, this is exactly why he got pulled over... Good. Glad to see our system does work right every once in a while.

Quote:

Good. Glad to see our system does work right every once in a while.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:49 AM

Sorry, totally off topic here, but Jesse......Cool sig pic!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
I know some states, that they are illegal cuz they are usually not DOT approved. It's all vary by states.
it does not vary by state. it is a DOT and NHTSA law not a state one. they are illegal because they do not comply with the DOT regulations that states not "the front must REFLECT amber and the rear must REFLECT red". the clear sidemarkers say "for offroad use only" on the box. people except the risk when they have them....so why do people b!tch when they get pulled over?? i have them knowing they do not comply.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:05 AM

well i dont know if many of u know but they arent DOT approved yet..so they technically are illegal...just as illegal as clear tailights....
Old 11-23-2004, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by gameover03
well i dont know if many of u know but they arent DOT approved yet..so they technically are illegal...just as illegal as clear tailights....
Isn't that what everyone's been saying?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by gameover03
and they NEVER will be DOT approved.. so dont say "yet"
Old 11-23-2004, 11:29 AM
VTEC This!

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
Sorry, totally off topic here, but Jesse......Cool sig pic!!!
thanks man!

but yeah, unfortunatly the lights are illegal, i couldnt even pass my damn inspection last time because of them, and my HID's, I was pisssssed. luckily I had a friend that could do it for me
Old 11-23-2004, 06:30 PM

Maybe not...

doublea, when did it happen? If it was midnight or so, he could have been trolling for DUIs and used your clears as a reason to stop you.
It happend around 10:30 am, I was driving normally. During the night he would not have know that I have clear, I mean I have amber bulb in front and red in the rear one, and the light are very bright. I think the officier knew I could perhaps win my case at the city court. I was not acting like an a.. I was polite and calm all the time but I argued and finally walk away.

AA
Old 11-23-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Maybe I can fabricate a DOT sticker and put it inside so next time I got pulled over I can try that argument. Lol.

Cheers

AA
Old 11-23-2004, 06:43 PM

Too bad man, I cant believe some cops lose their time for so little.

AA
Old 11-23-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
it does not vary by state. it is a DOT and NHTSA law not a state one. they are illegal because they do not comply with the DOT regulations that states not "the front must REFLECT amber and the rear must REFLECT red". the clear sidemarkers say "for offroad use only" on the box. people except the risk when they have them....so why do people b!tch when they get pulled over?? i have them knowing they do not comply.
I knew that they were not DOT approve and I was not mad or something, I just though of sharing the story that's it, I didn't b!tch about it, if you read my initial post it finished with Lol.

AA
Old 11-23-2004, 07:16 PM
retired moderator

That's why I like my smoked side markers....they still reflect and shine colored at night, but blend in with the rest of the car in the day...the clears scream "illegal" to cops because they are so noticeable.....
Old 11-23-2004, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
That's why I like my smoked side markers....they still reflect and shine colored at night, but blend in with the rest of the car in the day...the clears scream "illegal" to cops because they are so noticeable.....
Josh, ya wanna find me some blue tint for my markers? I'll give it a shot if I have the time.... too bad amber and red probably won't really come out that way with blue "smokes" in the markers....
Old 11-24-2004, 03:18 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Josh, ya wanna find me some blue tint for my markers? I'll give it a shot if I have the time.... too bad amber and red probably won't really come out that way with blue "smokes" in the markers....
hey we can always give it a try....all you need is blue enamel spray paint (match it to your car's color code @ advance auto w/ dupli-color)....just a light coat and should still shine through good. Anid if not, it can be removed with some mineral spirits/turpentine (I removed mine after I used smoke paint and re-did them with gloss black...)
Old 11-24-2004, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
hey we can always give it a try....all you need is blue enamel spray paint (match it to your car's color code @ advance auto w/ dupli-color)....just a light coat and should still shine through good. Anid if not, it can be removed with some mineral spirits/turpentine (I removed mine after I used smoke paint and re-did them with gloss black...)
Yeah it'll be worth a shot... I'll let ya know when I have some time, cuz I wanna get my grille painted too so I might just try to do it all together, although this is much easier than painting a grille....
Old 11-24-2004, 11:06 PM

i know alot of cops here in the bay area and some of the cities around here pul you over for factory tint or factory Euro tail lights. i have even had a cop pull up next to me in my city and ask me if my stock tail lights were from the factory or aftermarket. then he realized he knew me and was like oh never mind and drove off. some Cops are fricken
Old 11-25-2004, 12:47 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

you know my buddy with a 5th gen pot pulled over and ticketed for his clears. Yes he has hyper whites all around.

Funny thing is 4th gen clears still read DOT on them.....wierd cuz of course they are illegal.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:11 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by doublea
It happend around 10:30 am, I was driving normally.
...then he was being a jerk.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
...strange. so how do they explain the tail lights on a lexus rx330? they do not reflect red. also the front of many mercedes do not reflect amber
Old 11-28-2004, 05:05 PM

i failed inspection for them in MA but i just came back an hour later with the red and yellow ones, passed it, then swaped the clears back in
Old 11-28-2004, 05:11 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by speye022
...strange. so how do they explain the tail lights on a lexus rx330? they do not reflect red. also the front of many mercedes do not reflect amber
on the lexus...there are red reflectors on the back (I think down on the bumper?).....the lights themselves don't necessarily have to reflect, but you have to have red reflectors on the back of car and side of back corners....and orange reflectors on side of front corners.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by nismo0604
i failed inspection for them in MA but i just came back an hour later with the red and yellow ones, passed it, then swaped the clears back in
same thing for me here in VA....
Old 11-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by speye022
the dam lexus rs330 argument!!! thank god no one has brought that up in the last few months

look at the side of EVERY car. there is something in the front that reflects amber and something in the back that reflects red.

Old 11-28-2004, 05:40 PM

hmmm...thats weird that a cop would actually take the time to pull someone over for something as small as that..i guess whenever i get mine, i'll have to keep my OEM corners in my trunk just in case!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:40 AM

...my apologies to irish44j and soonerfan, i thought it had to be within the taillight assembly.