5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about Blown Coils.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 09:59 AM

Question about Blown Coils.....

i blew my coils a few days ago, and the CEL was on for like 2 days than it turned off. y could this be? and i was wondering is it bad to drive around w/bad coils, cus i gatta wait a week to get them replaced since the updated ones are on backorder.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:35 AM

no one can help?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:54 AM

Yup, me also, pulled a P1320 code at auto zone, tech stated o2 sensors buti i feel it is the coils, the coils are going to take more than a week!!

but the light is off and my wife isnt complanin, she still wants to drive the car all over, i told her to take her cell phone and AAA card.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:04 AM

Depending on how bad shape your coils are, the SES light can go on and off. Sometimes if a coil is in the process of going bad, it will throw a code, and then work for a period of time long enough to make the car think that the problem doesn't exist anymore. It then shuts the SES light off. If you are certain that the problem is with your coils, then it should be okay to drive it as long as you don't notice any misfiring. When you feel misfiring, or hesitation while driving, that's when you know its definately time to get your coils replaced.

Also, a word of advice, changing the coils is super easy, so do it yourself....
Old 12-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Reported

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
Depending on how bad shape your coils are, the SES light can go on and off. Sometimes if a coil is in the process of going bad, it will throw a code, and then work for a period of time long enough to make the car think that the problem doesn't exist anymore. It then shuts the SES light off. If you are certain that the problem is with your coils, then it should be okay to drive it as long as you don't notice any misfiring. When you feel misfiring, or hesitation while driving, that's when you know its definately time to get your coils replaced.

Also, a word of advice, changing the coils is super easy, so do it yourself....
thats right. one of my coils was in the process of going bad and would throw a code now and then. the light would come on when it misfired but would eventually go off. the misfire lasted less than a minute.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I never got any CEL when my coils went bad. I was getting the awful pinging ALL THE TIME though, especially when putting any type of stress on the motor like hard acceleration or especially up hills. Never threw any light tho.... I changed my coils soon after the pinging got really bad and havent heard the pinging in probably 12k miles. Def do it yourself, very simple. Why didnt my CEL come on at all tho. Does that sound weird?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by scmaxima2k
I never got any CEL when my coils went bad. I was getting the awful pinging ALL THE TIME though, especially when putting any type of stress on the motor like hard acceleration or especially up hills. Never threw any light tho.... I changed my coils soon after the pinging got really bad and havent heard the pinging in probably 12k miles. Def do it yourself, very simple. Why didnt my CEL come on at all tho. Does that sound weird?
I have a 2K maxima, and I had the SAME EXACT problem as you. No SES code, but it would ping like a bastard when accelerating or going up hills. I had my coils replaced, and I later found out they replaced them with 2K1 coils. Anyway, 2.5 years later (2 months ago) my SES light came back on. I found out I had a bad coil, and it started hesitating really bad. I didn't know which coil was bad, so I bought 2 and swapped them around until the problem went away. So far it's been running like a champ.

It appears that when the coils go bad, there are two seperate scenarios according to my research. In one scenario, your car will ping like crazy but not throw and SES code, and the other scenario, your car will throw an SES code and depending on how bad your coil is, it will misfire or hesitate. Either way, I have had the wonderful pleasure of experiencing both! I'm sure you could understand how pissed off I was. ......just my experience.....
Old 12-02-2004, 11:57 AM

yeah im waiting for the updated coils now, so i garaged my car for the next 2 weeks. i dont want to drive it w/bad coils.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:06 PM

Strang I have threw the code once at about 90K miles, never came up again and now have 102k miles on the same stock coils and plugs. No pinging or anything. and yet my car is still keeping up with 02 model maximas.