5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Post-Warranty Maximas and MAF sensor replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 04:14 PM

Post-Warranty Maximas and MAF sensor replacement.

So, those guys who get the MAF replacement that require the ECM reprogramming...

how did you guys do it? Take it to a stealership and fork over the $300+ to have them install a MAF and reprogram it...

or did you install the MAF, drive your car there, then have them reprogram the ecu?

or, drive it there, install it in their parking lot, then have them reprogram?

Local stealership is asking $129 for the sensor.
I got mine for $89 shipped.
Stealership wants $150+ to INSTALL the MAF (not sure if it includes reprogramming).
I could install it for free (takes 10mins).
Stealership wants $85 to reprogram ECM.

Problem is, the new MAF requires the reprogram ECM. and, on top of it, my ignition coils are fubared. I want to install everything at once to avoid one item shorting the other out (faulty MAF sending bad signal to coil, poof! or ignition coil not sending proper spark, O2 sensor reads bad condition, MAF adjusts and fubars something else).

bottomline questions:
1. should i install everything (MAF sensor and ignition coils) then take to stealership for reprogram?
2. is there another way to reprogram the ECM? (i have a friend who can burn eproms...but the ECM would need a socketed board...riiight?)
3. Forego all of this and let the dealership charge me the outrageous amount to install everything?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:32 PM

no one? not a soul has ever done this?

or do you guys just simply drop it off at the dealership?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:33 AM
A swift Bimmer driver

Originally Posted by Driven EF9
no one? not a soul has ever done this?

or do you guys just simply drop it off at the dealership?
Im interested in knowing about this too...
My car is about 15 days away from the factory warranty from expiring.. I had my MAF and the housing replaced a year ago under the warranty though... I have my intake back on... so im dreadin the MAF blowing!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:13 AM

Here check this out:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....30#post2354330
Old 12-15-2004, 05:50 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

first off, the new maf doesnt require programming. i along with many other have purchased the updated without the consult 2 update and have had no issues. there are a handful of people that did get the update either through having the dealer replace the part or paying the 85 for the update. the consensus is that the update is not mandatory and will not affect operation of the maf. ive yet to see anyone blow the updated maf on a 3.0 motor with or without the programming.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by edgenuts
That is for resetting the ECU... he was asking if he should have it re-programmed after replacing the MAF...
Old 12-15-2004, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
first off, the new maf doesnt require programming. i along with many other have purchased the updated without the consult 2 update and have had no issues. there are a handful of people that did get the update either through having the dealer replace the part or paying the 85 for the update. the consensus is that the update is not mandatory and will not affect operation of the maf. ive yet to see anyone blow the updated maf on a 3.0 motor with or without the programming.
thank you!

I guess i'll replace everything, see how it runs.

If it's still problematic... i'll just get it reprogrammed.