5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Which intake for an 02 max realy add power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 AM

Which intake for an 02 max realy add power?

Is there any intake for our 02-03 maximas that add power and not take away low end torque? I had a injen intake and that one sucked. Also with that intake the car sounds like rice frying in a can, is there one that adds good power and not sound weird?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

People always debate the gains from any intake, but I think most agree that PR is one of the better ones. Check out the dynos in the Stickys under FAQs under Intakes.

I have a Berk and I'm pretty positive the butt dyno tell me I'm losing low end and gaining a little high end... but it could all be in my head... since its argued by some that intakes alone don't do our cars any good. Ya need an intake, headers/y-pipe, UDP, cat-back, etc to really feel anything.... everything works together...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 AM

What all do you need in order to change an underdrive pulley (new belts?) What is the advantage of the underdrive pulley and what brands are good?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by AKOGAN
What all do you need in order to change an underdrive pulley (new belts?) What is the advantage of the underdrive pulley and what brands are good?
Yeah ya need shorter belts... I don't have the part numbers... but its somewhere here... if anyone else knows.. please post...

Unorthodox Racing is the only brand I know, but there are others... the aftermarket UDP essentially replaces the bigger, heavier stock pulley and that means that less power is needed to drive it (some say that your AC compressor, radio, lights, etc are underpowered at idle, but equally many people say it doesn't affect em, besides, I wouldnt let the car idle too long anyways), which frees up more HP for the intake, headers/y-pipe and other such mods to gain.... it does not create HP, it merely helps other mods gain more... hope that makes sense...

I've also seen comments on these forums that say hypergrounding helps when ya get a UDP too....
Old 12-15-2004, 08:55 AM

Is this underdrive pulley from southwestautoworks.com for $149 with free shipping any good? The don't state the name brand but they say its only .9 pounds. Is that good?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:58 AM
It's chrome alright...

An intake by itself will not add any noticeable power. If power is your only concern, take the money you would have spent on an intake and put it in the bank and save up for headers/exhaust.

edit: and if you took a few minutes and read back a page or two you would have seen at least 6 other threads on intakes...please read a little before posting questions that have been asked over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...........
Old 12-15-2004, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by AKOGAN
Is this underdrive pulley from southwestautoworks.com for $149 with free shipping any good? The don't state the name brand but they say its only .9 pounds. Is that good?
Seems fine to me... I think I have heard of other guys with that... but don't take my word for it... I'd tell ya more if I actually had one... haha... that's my next mod I think....
Old 12-15-2004, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2kev
An intake by itself will not add any noticeable power. If power is your only concern, take the money you would have spent on an intake and put it in the bank and save up for headers/exhaust.

edit: and if you took a few minutes and read back a page or two you would have seen at least 6 other threads on intakes...please read a little before posting questions that have been asked over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...........
Not to rub it in or anything, but I kinda agree with Kev... there are many many intake threads these days... look through those and see what people have said... let us know if ya have more specific questions....
Old 12-15-2004, 09:29 AM

save your money, the stock intake is good enough. Save up for headers or FI
Old 12-15-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
save your money, the stock intake is good enough. Save up for headers or FI
FI is a lot of time, money, and knowledge... if ya don't have that, at least headers...

I don't have any of the above... or headers...

Maybe one day....
Old 12-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Cletus

injen

how cool would it be if there were a bunch of other intake threads to look at?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:50 PM

Yes, an intake will make power but it won't be much. Still if you're looking to get as much power as you can I think an intake is necessary especially as you add exhaust mods. Your best bet is the GAB, PAB, or a simple popcharger. I went the pop charger route (see sig) but the PAB is probably my favorite, and the GAB is probably the easiest.

Here's a link for a how-to on the PAB, courtesy of SR20DEN.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ported+air+box
Old 12-15-2004, 03:52 PM

And yes, follow the others advice. Take the time to go through at least 10 pages of posts and read the ones that interest you. Also look at the FAQs. This should answer many of your questions.