5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how much preload do I need for coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:43 PM

how much preload do I need for coilovers?

apparently, I have had a noise in my drivers front corner, and it turned out to be a non preloaded coill on my a2's. how much preload do I need?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:55 PM

never mind. I found the answer by googling it. the results led me to a sentra forum, and in it, someone had said that you preload the springs until you cannot turn the coil by hand. I will go by that rule of thumb.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Conecarver

That's the big part of it. Then depending on your cornerweight you "jack" weight by preloading a bit here a bit there to even things out. (or whatever your goal).

Don't do what I did this summer. I had my ride height way low and thought I could solve by wrenching my spring perches up - like an inch+ beyond hand tightening. Turned out I was preloading over 500lbs corner.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 AM

so to preload the coilover all you do is tighten up the perch until you can't turn the spring at all? do you want the spring to be compressed or just tight?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TopElement.... what is correct then? I am having a he11 of a time with the D2s and need to get these things right. At least the noise part. I have never had a set of coilovers that were so noisy.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
That's the big part of it. Then depending on your cornerweight you "jack" weight by preloading a bit here a bit there to even things out. (or whatever your goal).

Don't do what I did this summer. I had my ride height way low and thought I could solve by wrenching my spring perches up - like an inch+ beyond hand tightening. Turned out I was preloading over 500lbs corner.

with the A2's, you can cornerweight the vehicle by adjusting the ride height on the corners, not by increasing the preload on the coil spring, at least that is how I understood it. preload and cornerweighting are two different animals, the way I see it.

as for cornerweighting, it is not critical on my ride since I dont do track days, or push my max to the limit (why do I even have the A2's?!). I did the install myself, and I just didnt know and ignored my friend who races motorcycles(who happens to know more than I do with coilovers) about the preload. he said that coilovers should have a little bit of preload, otherwise, with the slop/slack in the coil, it could eventually lead to bad things, and poor performance of the suspension.

Topelement - ok, if I have the incorrect settings, would you mind telling me what the correct settings are? or are you going to charge for information like you charge your customers? I come here on the forums for assistance. as far as preloading the coilovers, on my A2's and everyone else's JIC A2's, that doesn't have any effect on on the suspension travel whatsoever. if I am wrong, PLEASE prove to me that I am wrong.

also, I am not trying to take a stab at you or anything, but just the way you had stated your post, it seemed like you were just trying to make a buck on us poor internet saps. if you know something that pertains to the question, then please answer. if you are going to charge for a CORRECT answer, then why bother posting on this thread? I do know what I am doing, to a certain point, which is why I made this thread. I have done all the work to my max (which isnt much), but I am mechanically inclined.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by 5 spd
with the A2's, you can cornerweight the vehicle by adjusting the ride height on the corners, not by increasing the preload on the coil spring, at least that is how I understood it. preload and cornerweighting are two different animals, the way I see it.
I strongly suggest anybody adjusting ride heights and preload on any suspension system get a cornerweighting. It's useful for everyday driving comfort, safety, and of course performance. The benefits are just as important as an alignment. I pitty anybody who spent $500-$2000 for a coilover system and didn't want it setup correctly
Old 12-16-2004, 10:08 PM

so are these "settings" trade secrets? in any case, if you are offering to help me, please shoot a pm my way.

bejay1 - I understand cornerweighting, and that it greatly improves everyday comfort and safety(with the same amount of weight in my max), but what if I have passengers? isnt the additional amount of weight in the various places of my max going to throw off the corner weighting of the suspension?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:53 PM
I miss the .org!

Proprietary information. Research. Testing. Some of you guys really need to look those words up OR just click and PM him.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:53 PM

very well said.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by 5 spd
but what if I have passengers? isnt the additional amount of weight in the various places of my max going to throw off the corner weighting of the suspension?
Good question. Basicially you set the car up for the way you drive the majority of the time. Police cars tend be setup for single driver. I set mine up the same. You cornerweight AND align with your typical number of passengers you carry. Anytime you deviate from that it's a comprimise.