5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Service Engine Light on after Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM

Service Engine Light on after Seafoam

Did the seafoam to my car today, got a lot of exhaust gas coming out, think I did a good job, car ran better after the cleaning, I took it out for a drive, and response was very good. But the service engine came out when I took PCV valve off to put seafoam into it. And even after I reattached it, the service engine light is still on, and after starting and shutting down car a couple of times. The light is still on, does that mean I did something bad to the car. Do I have to take it to the dealership and let them chop off an arm and a leg to check this out? Or should I just take negative terminal off of battery and let my ECU reset. Or should I just wait a little longer and maybe service engine soon light will just go away by itself. Please anyone Please help
Old 12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wait after a few starts and it should go off. The engine just recognized that you were burning something and figured you needed maintenance. Also, remember to change oil soon so you don't have all that funk in your engine.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Get the code pulled at Autozone for free. Could be a bad O2 sensor. Some people have experienced that after using Seafoam. All the junk it pulls off goes through your exhaust and can foul your O2 sensors or stick in your cat.

Post the code that was pulled on here and we can make recommendations to help you out.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:55 PM

If it messes up your O2 sensors thats weak! O2 sensors aren't cheap.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:44 AM

Hope its definitely not the O2 sensors, that would suck, definitely gonna bring it to Autozone today after work. Damn, hopefully nothing is wrong, =(, any orgers out there that this has happened to also?? Provide any othe rinformation would be great, thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:53 AM

alas, that's why I always reluctant to use any additive in any car.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:27 AM

mine's been doing that... bank 2's sensor #2 keeps throwing a code. I'm thinking of just installing the O2 simulator and forgetting about it.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 00Max00
alas, that's why I always reluctant to use any additive in any car.

Seafoam has been covered

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=355362

It's crap. Stop running crap through your car and your service engine light will stop coming on.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

I guess one can't run ANY type of carbon cleaner though the engine then. Is that your point?

Originally Posted by 2k2kev

Seafoam has been covered

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=355362

It's crap. Stop running crap through your car and your service engine light will stop coming on.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:37 AM

I mean, I hope its nothing too serious, because the idle seems better and the car is more responsive now than when I first got it, just purchase and is at 60000, seemed a little sluggish for a 220 HP car. Took it out for a drive yesterday, and it seems like car was a little more responsive when I stepped on the gas. Heard good things from all the org members about it so decided to try it. Seems to help, but just that the SES light has come on. Just wondering if any other members had gotten this when they use seafoam? Just hope its not O2 sensors, then BLAH
Old 12-16-2004, 08:46 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I guess one can't run ANY type of carbon cleaner though the engine then. Is that your point?
My favorite quote about seafoam, but it actually applies to all additives.
In my humble opinion...If the solvent is going to break down crud it is going to break down other lubrication too.
Are you doing any testing to see how much solvent is required to remove carbon without removing lubrication? Are you just dumping a bunch of crap in the engine and hoping it's not too much? Are you putting a little in and hoping it was enough to do anything?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:58 AM

I added what it said on the bottle and what the forum in the fluids and lubricants section said. just a third of the bottle. Seems most of the people in that forum say good things about seafoam, thats why I used it in the first place
Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Santa29
I added what it said on the bottle and what the forum in the fluids and lubricants section said. just a third of the bottle. Seems most of the people in that forum say good things about seafoam, thats why I used it in the first place
Of course everyone can do what he wants, but...
There are a lot orgers who think putting a tank of 94 through their car somehow "cleans" it. There are a lot orgers who add crap to their oil thinking it "makes it better." There are a lot orgers who think a bottle of octane boost does anything.
...but everyone has an opinion
Old 12-16-2004, 09:07 AM

Ok, Thanks, anyway, have any other members run Seafoam and this happen to them, also any other members run seafoam and nothing happened, just hoping for some insight as if this is normal when running seafoam or not, all insights are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

What testing? I put in what the maker recommends. So I guess they are the ones that tested.

My favorite quote about seafoam, but it actually applies to all additives.Are you doing any testing to see how much solvent is required to remove carbon without removing lubrication? Are you just dumping a bunch of crap in the engine and hoping it's not too much? Are you putting a little in and hoping it was enough to do anything?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:55 AM

I ran seafoam last week. I did it at an auto shop after I did my inspection and before an oil change. Mechs gave me an IV to drip the seafoam into the break booster line, but after a while I put half a cap straight though the bb line. The rest I put in the gas tank. The engine smoked a lot afterwards, but no SES came on and the car was so quiet afterwards that tried to start it when it was already started. I showed seafoam to mechs, they didnt know what it was but said its probably similar to something they use called "Miracle oil" or something. I suppose if a mech didnt object to it (they did object to other stuff, told me how to fix my grounding, fixed up my RSB), and they use similar stuff themselves, then it should be ok. I am glad I did it and would do it again.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:20 AM
It's chrome alright...

I put in what the maker recommends. So I guess they are the ones that tested.
You mean "hope."
Old 12-16-2004, 11:26 AM

i used it on my car with no problems and now it runs exellent
Old 12-16-2004, 11:39 AM

Yes, first two times I used SeaFoam I noticed immediate results. It should be used sparingly though. I use it right before doing an oil change, whenever I do it at all.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

What tests?? I mean, this stuff is similar to many other engine cleaning products out there. I'll have a clean motor thanks. I guess you can keep your carbon built engine.

You mean "hope."
Old 12-16-2004, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Santa29
Ok, Thanks, anyway, have any other members run Seafoam and this happen to them, also any other members run seafoam and nothing happened, just hoping for some insight as if this is normal when running seafoam or not, all insights are greatly appreciated.
YO Dave, just do what we spoke about on the phone.. we'll take it from there.
everyone says here what we basically talked about. so just go to autozone .. or if u dont .. i'll pull the codes for you.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:42 PM
It's chrome alright...

What tests?? I mean, this stuff is similar to many other engine cleaning products out there. I'll have a clean motor thanks. I guess you can keep your carbon built engine.
Strip your engine down pre- and post-seafoam and let me know exactly how much carbon was there to start and how much was removed, then I'll be a believer.

Until then I'll continue to believe this (and many other engine cleaning products out there) is ineffectual.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Do the same to yours to prove that it DOESN'T benefit. Until then, I'll just notice the improved idle, throttle response. I'll also put it in my oil and note the cleaner valvetrain while yours is all varnished up.

Strip your engine down pre- and post-seafoam and let me know exactly how much carbon was there to start and how much was removed, then I'll be a believer.

Until then I'll continue to believe this (and many other engine cleaning products out there) is ineffectual.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:46 PM

Aight D, yeah ma work computer pulled my AIM off the internet, or something else is gone, so I do not have access to AIM now, gonna go to the zone today probably after work, need to find out whats wrong with my baby =(
Old 12-16-2004, 01:05 PM

yea call me later, all my maxima boys lol and my other boys comin over to the house .. gonna chill and play poker . maybe i'll redo my grounding kit. let me know how it went at autozone ...what time u going there?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
It's chrome alright...

Do the same to yours to prove that it DOESN'T benefit. Until then, I'll just notice the improved idle, throttle response. I'll also put it in my oil and note the cleaner valvetrain while yours is all varnished up.
I'm not adding it so how can there be a comparison?

I love it that people add the same stuff to the gas, oil, brake booster...... why not put it in the washer reservoir, radiator, and power steering reserve as well? It's such a miracle product, it has to be good for those as well, right?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well it does require some user intelligence. I guess that takes you out of using it.

why not put it in the washer reservoir, radiator, and power steering reserve as well? It's such a miracle product, it has to be good for those as well, right?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:02 PM
It's chrome alright...

Well it does require some user intelligence. I guess that takes you out of using it.
What intelligence? It's written right there on the bottle:

-open
-pour contents in every fluid reservoir
-reset CEL
-observe smoke
-reset CEL
-post on maxima.org "Seafoam brokeded my car!"
Old 12-16-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

More intelligence than you have apparently.

What intelligence? It's written right there on the bottle:

-open
-pour contents in every fluid reservoir
-reset CEL
-observe smoke
-reset CEL
-post on maxima.org "Seafoam brokeded my car!"
Old 12-16-2004, 03:34 PM

can you take the O2 sensors off just while you run teh seafoam or is this a really bad idea?
Old 12-16-2004, 03:57 PM

lol I guess you could if you want to go through all that effort...

Won't help you if the CEL is due to a clogged catalytic converter though.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:35 PM

If it bothers you that much then disconnect the battery cable for a while till the light clears. If the light comes back on then you know something is wrong. My guess is the computer detected a misfire during the seafoam procedure, so it turned on the MIL. I have done this on other cars and on occassion I would get a misfire related code because I allowed too much of the cleaner in at one time. When I added seafoam to my car I poured it into a bottle that had a valve and a clear tube with a fitting at one end and stuck the fitting into a source of vacuum. I just open the valve enough to where the engine would start to stall and back off a bit. From all the seafoam threads that I have read I take it some of you pour it in a small container and pour it into the hose that comes off the brake booster. For some it works and others it sets the MIL. I doubt it's your O2 sensors but i am not going to say it's not possible. By any chance did you add any to the gas tank, cause if you did and you happend to have left the gas cap loose, that will set the MIL. Otherwise take to AutoZone like stated earlier and post the code. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:39 PM

Well did go to autozone after work, but stupid autozone around me closes computers or whatever machine, I don't know how they pull codes, but said they don't pull codes after 5, so I will have to wait another day I guess. Just have to get off of work a little earlier tomorrow and go to autozone before their stated 5 PM thing, and hopefully will pull codes that show no problems, Thanks all for your input
Old 12-17-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Menacer
When I added seafoam to my car I poured it into a bottle that had a valve and a clear tube with a fitting at one end and stuck the fitting into a source of vacuum. I just open the valve enough to where the engine would start to stall and back off a bit
well thats teh right way to do it. my mechanic gave my friend the IV dripper and explained how to use it.. pretty much what u said .. let it drip so the engine doesnt stall out.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Banned

I used it with no problems. Just to 2K2complainer: I checked the varnish in my valves before and after (you don't need to crack open the engine to do this, just open the oil cap) and DEFINITLY saw a difference. I've killed and resurected many an engine (originally from Indiana where we have nothing better to do PLUS a BS in mechanical engineering from Purdue), and have tried many a cleaner. About the only way to clean your engine better would be to open it up and hand clean every part. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather not mess with something that isn't broke. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you've never tried something, please don't claim to be an expert. You'll just look like an a$$ muncher. (BTW: you obviously never read the lable...)

Anyway, now that I'm done ranting, disconnect your battery overnight and re-connect it in the morning. If the light is still on, the problem is probably your O2 sensor, not a clogged cat, blown MAF (unless you did something REALLY stupid like putting the cleaner in the air filter), ect. It may have gotten fouled when all the smoke was going past it.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:50 AM

i talked to a mechanic friend at nissan and he told me either pull the battery cable to get the light out or go to autozone and they can turn the light out for you and if it comes back on then you have a problem..he also states alot of people change o2 sensors and they arent really bad maybe just a miss or bad gas unclosed fuel cap but basically get the light turend off then if it comes back on get it fixed..........................
Old 12-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Banned

...basically the same thing said over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by gadgeeets
i talked to a mechanic friend at nissan and he told me either pull the battery cable to get the light out or go to autozone and they can turn the light out for you and if it comes back on then you have a problem..he also states alot of people change o2 sensors and they arent really bad maybe just a miss or bad gas unclosed fuel cap but basically get the light turend off then if it comes back on get it fixed..........................
"pulling" disconnecting the battery will "turn the light out" reset your SES light. correct. LOL
but before reseting it they should see what the code is. as been mentioned in so many posts above.

D. like i said if u dont make it out of work early. i'll pull the code for you saturday morning.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Banned

...see that's what friends are for! Merry Christmas, y'all!
Old 12-17-2004, 01:43 PM

ok, D from the code you told me ("P0100"), the problem is MAF.
now that Autozone reset your SES, lets see if it comes back. like we talked try to open the car up on the highway, see if it limits your RPM's.
endeed if the SES comes back, 2 possible problems.
1) Harness or connectors (the sensor circuit is open or shorted.)
2) Faulty MAFS.
cost about $100 for new MAF.
peace!

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light on after Seafoam