5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best FTSB and RSB combo and where to buy them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 06:37 PM

Best FTSB and RSB combo and where to buy them?

Want to know from all you 5th gen owners which FTSB and RSB combo is the best for my '01 GXE (least hassle, little noise, price, etc.). I saw that custom enterprise has some, but is that the place to go to buy? Price is a moderate concern, but I want a good product...
Old 12-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it doesnt really matter what FSTB you get, they all basically do the same thing, you just pay for the name, so if i were you, i would go on ebay, mine works fine....and from what ive heard, progress makes the best RSB, dont have one yet though
Old 12-31-2004, 07:01 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

progress makes hte cheapest RSB. stillens is adjustable and doesnt use urethane bushings that have to be replaced. but ive heard that you can adjust the progress one by moving the urethane bushings but i dont know.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Cletus

RSB - Progress

FSTB - Otto
Old 01-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

As said, there are very few differences in FSTB's. But what looks good to you, or what you can afford..

I have an Addco RSB. Almost identical to the Progress. I'm very happy with it. Stillen is the other choice, but much more expensive.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:41 PM

OK, thanks for the help guys, I think I'll just go with the Progress RSB and the FTSB that's on the CE website (in my price range). Hell, anything will be an improvement on a stock 01 GXE ride...
Old 01-01-2005, 06:46 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you can get the stb from ebay, I also got the otto racing one and looks like this here:

I did the stillen sway bar but you don't have to that expensive.......
Old 01-01-2005, 06:48 PM
mjg

before i was really into browsing this place, i just picked up stillen stuff.l

Nowadays maybe i may n ot have, because it did cost a whole lot, yet, i have zero complaints on either part.

I also think the stillen tower brace looks the best, i hate that blue one (whoever makes it).
Old 01-01-2005, 06:49 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

here is one for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591

or type "maxima strut bar" for more options.....
Old 01-02-2005, 12:59 PM

i have a stock 2k GLE suspension. Sorta boatlike.

If i install a FSTB & RSB, will it affect just my cornering?
It makes the suspesnion tighter right? but will i notice when i'm driving in the freeway 75-80mph changing lanes? casual driving that is...
Old 01-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here is my CE fstb in chrome:

I recently asked the same Questions about the rear sway bar and found the ADDCO bar for $129.00 also with a Google search.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:36 PM

I got a front strut bar from paradox-systems. It was cheap......$30 shipped to Hawaii. It fit right the first time without any modifications. I also have a Progress rear sway bar. I got mine from Southwest Autoworks. Both mods are cheap and effective per dollar spent.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:43 PM

ok, thanks again to everyone who helped, the pics were especially appreciated. Looks like I'm going with Progress RSB and Otto FTSB from ebay.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by FusionAcid
i have a stock 2k GLE suspension. Sorta boatlike.

If i install a FSTB & RSB, will it affect just my cornering?
It makes the suspension tighter right? but will i notice when i'm driving in the freeway 75-80mph changing lanes? casual driving that is...
It will help the high speed stability when changing lanes since it gets rid of the body roll. The car will feel much more stable at high speeds. The RSB rids the Maxima of the "understeer" and the FSTB tightens up the front for tighter cornering.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:28 PM
retired moderator

Ladies, this is what you really need with a RSB:

http://www.mattblehm.com/suspension.html

LTB, baby!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by irish44j
Ladies, this is what you really need with a RSB:

http://www.mattblehm.com/suspension.html

LTB, baby!
and here i thought u were a sleeper
Old 01-02-2005, 07:46 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by -ZIPPIN-
and here i thought u were a sleeper
heh, my car's probably slower than stock thanks to all the suspension upgrades and extra weight (LTB, RSB, etc... which will be even heavier when I put in the SFC's!)

But handling and ride is my goal. I couldn't care less about 1/4 mile times.....
Old 01-03-2005, 06:25 AM

But handling and ride is my goal. I couldn't care less about 1/4 mile times.....
You should then try something other than those crappy Falkens to see what real handling is. After all, you have a lot of $$$ invested in your car...
Old 01-03-2005, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
You should then try something other than those crappy Falkens to see what real handling is. After all, you have a lot of $$$ invested in your car...
What do you propose? The michelins are 2x as much with not 2x better handling and they are louder.... You were saying
Old 01-03-2005, 06:31 AM

Pilot Sports are 60K miles, the Falkens (55 series and lower) are 30K miles. Do the math.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:35 AM

Pilot Sports are 60K miles, the Falkens (55 series and lower) are 30K miles. Do the math.
Did the math, spoke to plenty who have had both. Pilots wore almost as fast..... Yes that's with proper rotation and inflation....
Old 01-03-2005, 07:39 AM

The may have worn as fast, but Michelin will replace them under warranty...
Old 01-03-2005, 07:45 AM

Don't get me wrong. I like Michelin, I just think you aren't giving the Falkens a fair review. I have them on my accord(lowered with full suspension) and it drives great in wet/dry and I have heard they hold their own in the white stuff too. I am gonna be upgrading to 18s in the summer prolly and may run another brand of tire. Not sure yet....
Old 01-03-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
I just think you aren't giving the Falkens a fair review.
On the contrary. My reviews of the 512s are as fair as can be and you get the performance of a $100 tire. The 512s have good to excellent dry and wet grip, and so far, pretty good resistance to hydroplaning (I have 3000+ miles on mine). The are also relatively quiet, but then again, the Max isn't the best car to judge this since there's plenty of other noise filtering into the cabin. My problem with the Flakens is their noodle-like soft shoulders/side walls. The 50 series feel like 75 series, fit only for the family minivan. How on earth these tires can be classifed as "high performance" is beyond me. On a straight line any steering input takes considerable lag (try driving in cross winds). Cornering feels like the tires are running at 15 psi instead of twice that, just a lot of wiggling. In short, you can't drive with these so called "high performance" 512s in a straight line or in turns.

Anyone whos spent $50-$1500 on suspension/handling mods is just not doing their setup justice if they cheap out on 512s.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:32 PM
retired moderator

On the contrary. My reviews of the 512s are as fair as can be and you get the performance of a $100 tire. The 512s have good to excellent dry and wet grip, and so far, pretty good resistance to hydroplaning (I have 3000+ miles on mine). The are also relatively quiet, but then again, the Max isn't the best car to judge this since there's plenty of other noise filtering into the cabin. My problem with the Flakens is their noodle-like soft shoulders/side walls. The 50 series feel like 75 series, fit only for the family minivan. How on earth these tires can be classifed as "high performance" is beyond me. On a straight line any steering input takes considerable lag (try driving in cross winds). Cornering feels like the tires are running at 15 psi instead of twice that, just a lot of wiggling. In short, you can't drive with these so called "high performance" 512s in a straight line or in turns.

Anyone whos spent $50-$1500 on suspension/handling mods is just not doing their setup justice if they cheap out on 512s.
While I respect your opinion on this matter, there are a few reasons I use the Falkens at this time:
1. Streets around here are riddled with debris and potholes. I've had to replace ALOT of tires thanks to my commute through the ghetto roads in Southern Maryland. I have no intention of buying $220 Pilots so they can get nails thorugh the sidewalls.
2. I have had the Pilots on past vehicles. Over-rated. And they wear down way too fast and are noisy. That, and I will not pay $220 per tire. French ripoffs.
3. The Falkens are great in the rain and the snow. The maxima is my commuting car, so traction is a must. tires with a soft sidewall and soft compound are inherently better in the rain and snow...the tradeoff is handling with the soft sidewall.
4. They're cheap, bottom line.
5. No, the handling is not ideal...but it is tolerable as a trade-off for the other good qualities about the tire (including good ride, IMO)
6. I have NEVER broken the tires loose taking exit ramps hard, cornering, etc.....it's next to impossible to squeal them. The handling feel is not the best, but they grip like a ****...
7. Unlike other tires, the 512's actually come in the correct size for our OEM 17's...

That said, I plan to upgrade to 18's in the spring, and will likely get a summer-specific tire at that time, not likely the 512's. I will not EVER buy the Pilots. Michelins are nice, but far too expensive for what you get....rip off IMO. Probably put some Pirellis or Contis on at that time......

I plan on keeping the 512s as my winter tires though. They can't be beaten in the winter conditions by any other A/S tire (including the Pilot)...

All that said....as someone who (as you mention) has invested a good amount in my suspension....and note, I install everything myself....I have a good feel for exactly what I am looking for. I don't just slam the car like alot of people, don't do coilovers...all this is by design. And I do know about tires...I have auto-crossed classic sportscars for years....by the way....the "steering response" is not an issue with the Stage 2 LTB...it stiffens the steerign up more than any tire could.

I will agree that the 512's are not IDEAL.....but they are "good enough" for my purposes at the present time (also they are inexpensive). If I had a better AFFORDABLE option available (that is good in snow, where I like to drive to ski), I'd take it. The Pilot does not qualify.

(btw...if you wanna come down to the mid-atlantic someday, I'll be happy to run a road course/auto-x against you and we can see who stays on the road at a higher speed...I'll even leave the roof rack on )

so basically...I agree with you on some points...but you don't seem to offer any alternative except for the over-priced, over-hyped Pilots.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:37 PM
retired moderator

by the way CCS2k1Max.....
It would certainly be nice to see what other mods you have on your car/suspension so I had some context as to your argument about handling in a general sense.....how about a link to a cardomain page or at least a listing of your mods in your public profile?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:04 PM

I drive in the Chicago area. We have two seasons here: Winter and road construction. We also know potholes and winter damaged roads around here. The fact remains, the Falkens are the biggest compromise out there. The do some things just barely adequate, some better, but their handling is just the worst compromise. The way to do it right is to have two sets of tires, especially with the limited selection for the OEM rim size. I should have bought a set of 16 inch rims for winter and put better summer tires on the 17s. Instead all I have is a compromise that just doesn't cut it in the handling dept year round. I do hope they are better in the snow as you say or I'll be very pissed.

On the race offer, I'd race you, but I do wish I had an LTB or all the goodies you have that are on my wish list. All I have now is the sloppy 512s and an Otto FSTB. Take all that stuff I'm missing off and we can do it (leave the rack on if you want). My point is, on even settings, equally experienced drivers, but different tires (512s gainst a Turanza LS-V, for example), the LS-Vs will kick the 512s pants hands down.

Anyway, my argument still is, if you have suspension mods to improve the handling, as you do, do your setup a little justice and put on some tires that will squeeze the maximum out of the setup. The 512s don't do that (BTW, I didn't bring Michelin into the conversation. IMO there are tires just as good out there for less, but not in the OEM size Nissan blessed us with, and even less in M+S).
Old 01-03-2005, 04:08 PM

by the way CCS2k1Max.....
It would certainly be nice to see what other mods you have on your car/suspension so I had some context as to your argument about handling in a general sense.....how about a link to a cardomain page or at least a listing of your mods in your public profile?
Why brag about only an Otto FSTB? (I don't call Redline MT-90 a mod as some do). The FSTB improved the handling with the crapenzas, but the 512s were a step back.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:18 PM
retired moderator

Why brag about only an Otto FSTB? (I don't call Redline MT-90 a mod as some do). The FSTB improved the handling with the crapenzas, but the 512s were a step back.
I didn't mean as "bragging"...I just meant that viewpoints of certain types of equipment (tires, for instance) are different when other components are involved (i.e. I have a different viewpoint of the tires when combined with RSB, FSTB, and LTB than you do with just a FSTB)....

I wasn't asking you to brag...just was wondering what you had done so I could have some view of where you're coming from...

(oh...and I don't call MT-90 a mod either, though I use it. Mobil 1 either ) Fluids are not a mod!

BTW, perhaps I didn't mention, but I run at 35-6 psi front and 32 psi in the back, which changes the feel of the Falkens considerably from the stock 32-30........amazing what a few psi can do.....

Anyhow, not trying to argue with you about this. Some people like the Falkens. Some people are merely satisfied with them (me). Some people don't like em (you). Same as anything else out there. Some people think that an RSB alone adversely affects emergency handling (in my opinion, it does....the LTB is the complementary component to the RSB). Others disagree.

We all have opinions, and I respect yours, and more importantly, your reasoning behind them with re: to the falkens. But I disagree, at least with some/most of what you said....

all good though....
Old 01-03-2005, 04:31 PM

I didn't mean as "bragging"...I just meant that viewpoints of certain types of equipment (tires, for instance) are different when other components are involved (i.e. I have a different viewpoint of the tires when combined with RSB, FSTB, and LTB than you do with just a FSTB)....

I wasn't asking you to brag...just was wondering what you had done so I could have some view of where you're coming from...

(oh...and I don't call MT-90 a mod either, though I use it. Mobil 1 either ) Fluids are not a mod!

BTW, perhaps I didn't mention, but I run at 35-6 psi front and 32 psi in the back, which changes the feel of the Falkens considerably from the stock 32-30........amazing what a few psi can do.....

Anyhow, not trying to argue with you about this. Some people like the Falkens. Some people are merely satisfied with them (me). Some people don't like em (you). Same as anything else out there. Some people think that an RSB alone adversely affects emergency handling (in my opinion, it does....the LTB is the complementary component to the RSB). Others disagree.

We all have opinions, and I respect yours, and more importantly, your reasoning behind them with re: to the falkens. But I disagree, at least with some/most of what you said....

all good though....
The statement about bragging was the reasoning behind why I don't have a cardomian. As for adding an RSB and LTB, the unpredictability of just adding an RSB (that and $$$) is the main reason I haven't messed around with the rear. I want to make sure I can rely on the my car in an emergency. BTW, right now I'm running the 512s at 40 pis, only because the air pump at the gas station closest to my house (5 miles) broke down. The next one is another 5 miles away, so I haven't gotten there. I try to keep the air pressures at 45-47 psi all around, but I have to check them weekly to keep them at those pressures.

Anyway, all is good. I personally just don't like the numb steering feeling of tires that have too soft side walls. If money (and winter) were not an issue, I'd had a set of crispy SO-3s or something similar.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
retired moderator

If money (and winter) were not an issue, I'd had a set of crispy SO-3s or something similar.

if money were not an issue, I'd be driving an Audi A8

as to the bragging part....I don't see the cardomain as that at all. I see it as putting ideas out there (including my 5-6 how-to pages) for others. I like browsing others' cardomain pages for ideas...I don't keep mine to "show off"....as you can see, I've kept the car almost stock on the outside....showing off is not my style....
Old 01-03-2005, 06:55 PM

as to the bragging part....I don't see the cardomain as that at all. I see it as putting ideas out there (including my 5-6 how-to pages) for others. I like browsing others' cardomain pages for ideas...I don't keep mine to "show off"....as you can see, I've kept the car almost stock on the outside....showing off is not my style....
I'd be racing a GT1 and driving a GT3 on the street...

I see where you're coming from, but from MY standpoint, what's so special about a very near stock 2001 Grey Lustre 5 speed SE? I see no reason to waste bandwidth with my car.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:05 PM
retired moderator

I see where you're coming from, but from MY standpoint, what's so special about a very near stock 2001 Grey Lustre 5 speed SE? I see no reason to waste bandwidth with my car.
I like my GT better (GT6, that is...)

as to the "what's so special?"....well, it's your car. it's your work in progress. it's your "baby" or whatever.....I guess that's what's so special. I certainly don't hate on people who's car's are less (or more) modded than mine....each car is individual in some way unless it's bone-stock off the showroom floor!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Like I mentioned in another post earlier, the Audi A8 would be sick. The one used in "Ronin" is really nice.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:15 PM

Again, dime a dozen IMO (my max, not the GT6). Nice Mk III. Still got the Stromberg carbs or upgraded to Webers?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:41 PM
retired moderator

Again, dime a dozen IMO (my max, not the GT6). Nice Mk III. Still got the Stromberg carbs or upgraded to Webers?
close...GT6+ (the "tweener" model late '69 after the MkII but before the III)....
still has the crappy strombergs (constant tuning....), but soon/someday to upgrade with custom-tuned Keihn carbs for better performance. Was never a fan of the Webers on the straight-6.....they worked alot better on the Spitfire's 4 when you only have to deal with one of em!.

the GT is in storage at the moment though, until I get another house with a garage (curses on townhouses!)..oh well. That's my real baby. The maxima is just a stopgap.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:04 PM

close...GT6+ (the "tweener" model late '69 after the MkII but before the III)....
still has the crappy strombergs (constant tuning....), but soon/someday to upgrade with custom-tuned Keihn carbs for better performance. Was never a fan of the Webers on the straight-6.....they worked alot better on the Spitfire's 4 when you only have to deal with one of em!.

the GT is in storage at the moment though, until I get another house with a garage (curses on townhouses!)..oh well. That's my real baby. The maxima is just a stopgap.
I take it you know about Perfomance Research Industries then.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 PM
retired moderator

Yeah...PRI. It's unfortunate I hear that they might go out of business soon due to slow sales (that'll happen when you cater to people who have rare cars, I suppose)

so do you have a TR?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:26 PM

No, but always had a soft spot for TR6s and 250s. Had a 71 MGB Roadster, source of short periods of lots of fun followed by long periods of waiting for parts (and followed by lots of knuckle busting and wrestling with Whitworth fittings). Sold the car after college just before getting married.

Sad to hear that about PRI, but I can see why. I've always wondered how the old catalog companies I patronized (Moss Motors mostly) are doing.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:41 PM
retired moderator

No, but always had a soft spot for TR6s and 250s. Had a 71 MGB Roadster, source of short periods of lots of fun followed by long periods of waiting for parts (and followed by lots of knuckle busting and wrestling with Whitworth fittings). Sold the car after college just before getting married.

Sad to hear that about PRI, but I can see why. I've always wondered how the old catalog companies I patronized (Moss Motors mostly) are doing.
Actually, I think Moss and Victoria British are doing fine...I still get the catlogs, which I stare at wistfully...Looking again at the PRI site has me excitied to spend some money on a car I haven't driven in a long, long time. All I've done recently is taken the body off and sandblasted the frame....and stripped all the old wiring and half-installed the new wiring....

knuckle-busting and electrical frustration...two trademarks of owning a classic British car....

I need to stop now, before I have to buy a new house tomorrow just to have a garage!!!

Quick Reply: Best FTSB and RSB combo and where to buy them?