5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A pebble cracked my windshield!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 05:10 AM

A pebble cracked my windshield!!!!

Hi,

I was driving on the Long Island Expressway yesterday, and suddenly I heard a loud pop. I don't know why, but I just figured something cracked my windshield. And there it was, as small crack in the passenger side. I figure it was a pebble, because there seemed to be some reside around the crack.

The crack is not big at all, but how annoying is this?!!! I've heard that the crack can actually spread and grow. Is that true?

Is something like this covered by warranty?

If I was to replace it, do I have to get it done by NISSAN?

Is there a way of fixing it myself?

I really appreciate all your help!
Thanks!!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by hubbabubba
Hi,

I was driving on the Long Island Expressway yesterday, and suddenly I heard a loud pop. I don't know why, but I just figured something cracked my windshield. And there it was, as small crack in the passenger side. I figure it was a pebble, because there seemed to be some reside around the crack.

The crack is not big at all, but how annoying is this?!!! I've heard that the crack can actually spread and grow. Is that true?

Is something like this covered by warranty?

If I was to replace it, do I have to get it done by NISSAN?

Is there a way of fixing it myself?

I really appreciate all your help!
Thanks!!

Your insurance should cover that for free, i know her in FL if you have a crack or smashed windshield they replace it for freeknow matter what your deductible is, call your insurance to find out.

Also to awnser your question, yes, it will grow in time because of where you live at, the extreme cold then when in the summer time you have to deal with the extreme heat up there. But because those changes are so subtle up there , that crack is goig to take forever to grow.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:39 AM

Same thing happened to me...but I have 3 separate cracks in my windshield. I decided to just leave it alone...these windshields are very fragile. I have no idea if Nissan will cover it...but I think if you have full glass coverage that you insurance company will.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Daily Driver2k2
Your insurance should cover that for free, i know her in FL if you have a crack or smashed windshield they replace it for freeknow matter what your deductible is, call your insurance to find out.
You'd better don't call your insurance. By doing that only give the insurance co the excuse of rising your rate and most time you don't even knowing it. It's definitely not worth it.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 00Max00
You'd better don't call your insurance. By doing that only give the insurance co the excuse of rising your rate and most time you don't even knowing it. It's definitely not worth it.
Dont listen to this guy; call the insurance company, and they will most likely cover it for free. Here is why the front winshield on vechicles is a STRUCTURAL member, it help support the roof in roll over accidents. Thus they cover chips and cracks for free, usually 3 in a year. Its cheaper in the long run for them.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by desperado_45
Dont listen to this guy; call the insurance company, and they will most likely cover it for free. Here is why the front winshield on vechicles is a STRUCTURAL member, it help support the roof in roll over accidents. Thus they cover chips and cracks for free, usually 3 in a year. Its cheaper in the long run for them.
The windshield being a structural member has nothing to do with it... that's like saying "your frame is bent so they'll probably cover it for free because it's structural."

Call your insurance company but ask if it's covered. In massachusetts it's automatically covered if your car is insured (state law) but in NH it's not covered unless you have a specific rider for it written into your insurance (and you pay for it, of course).

Call and ask how it works in NY and if it's in your policy.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In NY, full glass is not implied, it is a purchased additional coverage. However, as long as you have comp, most companies will allow the repair and waive your deductible, assuming its not in the driver's line of sight. If it is, they will most likely want it to be replaced therefore you will have to eat your deductible assuming you have comprehensive coverage. I just had my w/s replaced yesterday as a matter of fact. I had a rock chip and in a matter of 1 week, I had the w/s defroster on and the crack ran both ways across the w/s so I had to have it replaced. Went to safelite, took about 1/2 hour, I have full glass, so the insurance paid all of it.

Good luck, p.s. I used to work for AIG insurance, that's why i know a little something about NY state insurance laws.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:26 AM

Oh yeah, don't listen to 00Max00, it would take an abnormal amount of glass claims to effect your premiums, so I would just go ahead and get it done before it gets worse.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:28 AM
mjg

this happened to me, on the lie as well heh.

I had the guy come and replace it at my house.l You can hardly tell, that's how good they can replace it (and it was for free).
Old 01-06-2005, 07:46 AM

mine got a chip in it 2 1/2 years ago i was to lazy to call and have it replaced , has not spread at all. it is about a 1" crack.... sounds like a tough windshield to me. on my old car i got a similar crack and less than a week later it spread like crazy.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:06 AM

comprehensive insurance is the only way you get a free windshield in MASSachusetts... just got mine and didn't pay ****, call insurance and ask... the GLASS co. actually gave me more crap saying it's a convenient time for my chip to turn into a crack seeing as though i just had my upper wsh retainer peel off.... coincedence?? YES

MUST BE 8" crack here too!!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:24 AM
mjg

it may not have to be replaced. THey say if it's smaller then the size of a quarter, that put a special material on it, that hides the crack, as well as stops it from spreading. It's some kind of acrylic i think that they apply, sand down and polish. It makes the crack just go away.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:48 AM

State farm fixed two small cracks in my windshield for free recently. As long as they're smaller than a quarter you'll be fine. Also, if you use rain-x on your window it makes the crack difficult to fill because their sealant won't stick.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:25 AM

you can get that crack filled with glass
i did this on my old sentra so the Police wouldnt give me crap, i had the car for 4 years sold it and still looked perfect
Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 AM

Mine has an ever so small little crack in the windshield probably from a pedal... This thing about the insurance covering it sounds interesting and I will be giving my agent a call to find out the specifics.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:44 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Get a shop to replace it for you.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Ha-Ha!

Oh, soorry, wrong answer. What mjg says. I would add: It can be repaired much cheaper than replaced, so get on it.

I had the same thing happen to me and the ins co had someone over the next day, to my workplace, and it was fixed in like no time at all.

-piga
Originally Posted by mjg
it may not have to be replaced. THey say if it's smaller then the size of a quarter, that put a special material on it, that hides the crack, as well as stops it from spreading. It's some kind of acrylic i think that they apply, sand down and polish. It makes the crack just go away.